Painting tips - overposted thread, but this time i need to ask again

WillowHawk

Gawd
i know there have been tons of posts on how to paint metal and crap...tons....but dude...i just cant do it right. i tried and i tried...nothing comes out as well as all those other things ive seen on here.

after i sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, 1st coat, sand, 2st coat, sand, 3rd coat, and then Laquer/overcoat...things just go down hill...the last layer kinda wrinkles..or ...erm....messes up the paint...and before you blaze me on drying times...i waited days between coats..and nothing does the trick...

hell, i even got some of that rubbing compound. but that only serves to get rid of the gloss i had going on. the only time that i got some of it to work, was when in desperation of a PSU painting project, i sanded on the 3rd paint coat, and then sprayed over with that Blue UV clearcoat for FC and then i put the laquer on it...it worked...

but i dont want all my stuff to glow in the dark, and i definitly want it to be really really glossy...near car finish quality...if possible..help?

......................go check out the painting section at the main page. i understand where your comin from so dont worry about it. we all start somewhere.

If you had good results through the color coats, then I would think that the problem was not with your technique or case material, but more likely the paint you're using for your clearcoat. I'm not too experienced in the area, so I can't tell you what you need to do, but perhaps trying another brand of clearcoat would help?

Yeah, sounds like your clearcoat isn't playing well with your color coat paint. Are they made by the same manufacturer, or at least the same style paint? I know you can get some really nasty wrinkling by going over water-based paint with oil-based paint.

Also, make sure that you're not only letting the paint dry, but that it's drying in an area without much humidity. That hummi-ditty stuff will make your paint SEEM dry, but not really let it cure to as dry as it should be.

Good luck! :D

If it's an all metal piece, you can try baking it in an oven at about 150 degrees for a few hours. Make sure you check on it constantly though, cause you don't want your house to burn down ya know.

1500-2000 grit sandpaper is your friend for gloss. Also make sure you are using the same type of clear as paint. They usually dont mix well together as stated earlier.The rubbing compound shouldnt be applied until at least 24 hours after paint has dried.

make sure your clearcoat is the kind that works ok with the paint type ur using, i heard that if you use a lacquer clearcoat over an acrylic paint ull get a syran wrap finish or something like that.

Are you using a clear lacquer on top of colored enamel? I think this may be your problem, mixing enamels and lacquers, but I am not sure. Try spraying a colored paint in lacquer, then spray you lacquer clearcoat over it and see what happens.

thanks alot guys for the advice, when i get more time and money i'll test all of it out. i was just pissed that i couldnt get it to work right, my bro painted some of his stuff too, and it turned out ok, just not the autobody finish.

any tips on how to use rubbing compound? is it necessary?

Back