Painted entire system

AdamK47

Limp Gawd
Not just the case, but the monitor, keyboard, speakers, trackball, and drives.

picture1.jpg

picture3.jpg

picture4.jpg

picture5.jpg

picture6.jpg

picture8.jpg

picture10.jpg

picture11.jpg

picture12.jpg

It's a color called twilight blue. It's so dark that in low light it looks black. It took almost 2 gallons worth of primer, paint, and clear coat with a total of about $160. The hardest part was the keyboard. I used silver dry transfers for the lettering and a clear coat on the keys designed for model airplanes. It dries very hard and is durable. For the hand rest I used several very fine sprays of auto clear coat to create a gritty surface so that it's not smooth and my palm doesn't stick to it. It's similar to how most keyboards are molded to begin with. For all of the parts for the system I used a couple layers of pimer and sanded with 600 grit sandpaper in between coats if needed. After that I put 3 to 4 coats of twilight blue paint on. Let that dry for a day and then put about 3 to 6 coats of clear coat on. After two weeks of starting it I was done.

Very professional and pleasing to the eyes. Lovo the color. Job well done!

I really like it, you have guts I do not have, I would mess something up.

Originally posted by nerdawg4
I really like it, you have guts I do not have, I would mess something up.

tru...i wanted to paint my monitor for about a year now and havent built up the sack to do it....

Sorry, I don't have any before pictures. I only borrowed a friends 4.1 MP camera after it was done. Just picture everything mostly beige and white before hand. Some of the speakers were originally black though.

nice paintjob. Ive got that same desk btw. Does yours wobble alot? When my printer starts working the whole desk shakes:rolleyes:

Nope, it doesn't wobble at all. Well, not anymore than my previous desk. I made sure everything was tight when it was assembled. I got it on sale at Office Depot with the side cart for free.

Although I don't have any before pictures, I did find pictures of the parts.

case.jpg

trackball.jpg

keyboard.jpg

speakers.jpg

monitor.jpg

Originally posted by blindviper
what did you use over the buttons to put the letters back on?

I'm not sure what you mean, but this is how I did it.

After applying the final layer of twilight blue and letting it dry I rubbed the silver dry transfer on while carefully holding the dry transfer sheet steady to keep it aligned. Once the transfer was on the key I put the layers of clear coat on top of it to protect it.

Originally posted by paladin0
awesome job, it looks like your stuff came that way its so good.

Thanks! When I have people over to my apartment and they see my computer I tell them I painted it. They don't believe me at first because it looks like it came out of the factory like that.

Originally posted by skawttieboy
what brand/color spray paint?

Duplicolor Twilight Blue

For the primer I used whatever was cheapest. The clear coat is Duplicolor brand except for the buttons (which are painted black) and keyboard keys. For those I used LustreKote high gloss fuel proof model paint.

Getting this color was more work than I originally thought. It took more than twenty 5oz cans of that stuff and it only comes in the 5oz cans. I've cleaned out every AutoZone and major grocery store in this area. Most only had one or two cans on the shelf.

WoW, I like it 10 out of 10. I got a question, did you sand it down before painting it or did you just basically cleaned it with alcohol then added the primer and so on?

Originally posted by .ReCo!L
WoW, I like it 10 out of 10. I got a question, did you sand it down before painting it or did you just basically cleaned it with alcohol then added the primer and so on?

I didn't use alcohol since most of the parts are plastic. I used detergent and an old toothbrush. The only parts I sanded before primering were the ones that had labels on them such as all the keys and the faceplates on the drives.

That is some beautiful work dood. I wish I had your patience. My work would come out much better if I did.

very clean and tight work I am impressed. you should hire yourself out.

Killermac

Just a little update...

The fuel proof model airplane clear coat has lived up to my expectations. After 3 months of using the keyboard and trackball with normal wear and tear use, the paint still hasn't peeled, cracked, or scratched. It still looks perfect.

Time to make a living doing it. Nothing like making money doing what you have a passion for. No one can do this kind of work without passion.

Kudos man .......................

Time to make a living doing it. Nothing like making money doing what you have a passion for. No one can do this kind of work without passion.

I would definatly do it. I'm in between IT contract jobs right now, so I have a lot of free time.

I saw this set a good while ago, and i still think its one of the best painting jobs of a case or a set i have ever seen. great job!

I know this thread hasn't been posted to in a while, but it's amazing that you took all that apart, painted, and put back together perfectly. It looks great! Outstanding job! :D

Back