paid 175$ for ASUS to try to destroy my hearing

Sounds like feedback. A lawsuit would get their attention. Fucking criminal that is has been going on for a year without a response? Nice.

I didn't even have it turned up very loud. The tone itself was probably the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life, and I've been to some punk concerts.

On a Creative sound card I got from Walmart, I looped the output back into mic in. Proceeded to turn on speakers... :(

I wouldn't even know where to start with a suit, honestly just wish they would man up and admit theres a problem with their cards. I had everything configured correctly and now probably have a small amount of hearing damage from the feedback or whatever it was, luckily my headphones are more resilient.

I spent nearly two hours on their support line and all I got was a case number :(

hoping a new card solves the issue when I RMA

I'm willing to give it another shot with a new card, but you can read the thread for yourself.
wouldn't want anyone else to have that happen to them

Honestly, it only does this if GX mode is on. If it's off, never happens.

I consider GX mode useless anyways. Most games nowadays don't need it due to EAX being a thing of the past. Yeah, sure, it's useful for older games, but buggy.

are you 100% sure about the gx thing? because otherwise it is a wonderful sounding card, I just value my hearing lol

Fairly sure. Haven't had the damn thing go berserk on me since I turned it off.

Not 100% sure, but I'm 95% sure. Then again, I'm never 100% sure on a lot of things, so...

I also keep the comp on 24/7 and burned in my DT990s while I was sleeping for several nights and didn't have that stupid noise, so I think I can say it's GX mode's fault.

Thanks, I didn't even know it was on but I'll be sure to keep it off! lol

Mellon, does your headset have a inline volume?

I had something similar happen to me with my Fatal1ty Pro card and my old Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2 headset. I would be playing a game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and when ever there was a explosion, I would get this high pitch ring sound that would not stop. I thought it was the headsets. Turtle Beach recommmends to turn down the Creative Sound software volume and turn up the headsets inline volume control. That fix my problem. It turns out, everytime I turn up the Windows Volume control, it would turn up the Creative Sound software too. lol duh...:D

Maybe turn down the Xonar Essence Driver software to 75% or less and turn up the headset volume. Hope this helps

I had something similar happen to me with my Fatal1ty Pro card and my old Turtle Beach Ear Force HPA2 headset. I would be playing a game like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and when ever there was a explosion, I would get this high pitch ring sound that would not stop. I thought it was the headsets. Turtle Beach recommmends to turn down the Creative Sound software volume and turn up the headsets inline volume control. That fix my problem. It turns out, everytime I turn up the Windows Volume control, it would turn up the Creative Sound software too. lol duh...:D

Maybe turn down the Xonar Essence Driver software to 75% or less and turn up the headset volume. Hope this helps

Yeah I doubt it's that, honestly.

Within the first few days, was screwing around with the Essence STX, with GX mode, and when a game crashed or something stupid happens, the sound would loop, annoyingly, and loudly. One day a really stupid buggy game crashed, with the panel open, and i see the GX button indicated as on, and I'm like "Hmm, let me see if it crashes less if I turn it off". Well, it didn't crash less, but I didn't get the stupid annoying sound loop like I did previously. It's been a month since I've had the Essence STX, and around 3 weeks since the last annoying sound loop, and it hasn't occured since the GX mode was completely off.

Not that it matters. I find EAX damned useless anyways with Windows Vista/7 screwing over EAX, and new games not supporting it whatsoever.

Works awesome with BFBC2.

This used to happen on mine. It's Extremely loud and unpleasant. I never used GFX settings so that can't be it. It didn't matter if I used middle or extra high gain, and sometimes I would use 7.1 virtual and sometimes I wouldn't. Sometimes I used smart volume, sometimes I wouldn't, etc. So beats me what it is. I figured my card was just defective or it was something else going on. I don't use my phones much lately, but if I did it's definitely a deal breaker.

I also had the same problem. It was happening as many as three times per week... really loud and ear bleeding.
I sold it, because i was intending to use it for connecting PC to PA system and if this would be happen... i don't want to imagine all of the destroyed amps and speakers..

Wow that's scary. I've been using an ST for a few months now (maybe approaching 6 months?) and I've never noticed this problem, though I dont use GX mode... and now I have no intention of turning on GX mode. I hope it doesn't happen, I like both my HD650s and the ears to which they are attached. Its especially scary given how low I have the volume set to get the correct amplification.

I'm using a pair of dt880 pros 250 ohm

usually around 20-25% volume with +12 db amp setting, 48KHz, hifi mode

no volume control on the phones, but it hasn't made the noise since disabling GX :D

Last edited:
Back