page file usage

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have 768 megs ram on my computer, running winxp sp1. When I felt that programs were taking a long time to restore from the taskbar.

I found that my pagefile usage is 518megs, yet i have 400 megs free ram. Is there some setting that is wrong? Thanks.

Where are you getting your 518MB figure from? Not from the task manager Performance tab I hope. The PF Usage figure in Task Manager IS NOT your real page file usage.

To find you real page file usage go to Start/Control Panels/Administrative Tools/Performance. Click the Add/+ button. Under Performance Object select Process and then in the selection list below that find and highlight Page File Bytes. Click Add

Find Page File Bytes in the list at the bottom and click on it. It will show the amount of page file in use.

Right now on my system Task Manager shows 218MB. While my actual page file usage is only 110MB.

But anyways its normal for the page file to be used. Any thing that has been idle for quite some time will be flushed out to the page file to make room for active applications. Don't worry about it. And don't disable or otherwise change the page file's settings.

Originally posted by stevewm
But anyways its normal for the page file to be used. Any thing that has been idle for quite some time will be flushed out to the page file to make room for active applications. Don't worry about it. And don't disable or otherwise change the page file's settings.
Mostly what I would do, although in the past I can set the page file to a static size to prevent windows from resizing it at an inopportune moment.

Of course, that was years ago, when a resizing operation could cause noticable stutter in a game that was already stressing my system. Now a days, I hardly think you'd see anything, but some people get their kicks off of that, so whatever floats your boat.

Back