Pagan's MicroFly redesign

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
OK, so I got my SX6 from SFFStore, and as usual, I just can't leave well enough alone. Shortly after opening the box, I tore the computer case down to the bare chasis.

001.jpg

First I measured up a few things.

002.jpg

Other measurements were made, but this is the only pic I took of measurements. More on the little black dots you see in this pic later. The two larger dots are actually the holes from the original case feet.

The first thing to go was the very restrictive stock fan grill. Yes that is a 4 1/2 inch (114mm) hole saw (compliments of searching ebay), it makes a perfect hole for a 120mm fan.

004.jpg

Remember those little black dots I was talking about earlier?? Well now my MicroFly is sporting a set of LianLi dubs.

008.jpg

I'm probably not going to be doing much more to the case, other than using a bit of automotive door edge moulding to clean up the cut edges of the 120mm fan on the back side of the case. Of course I will add a decorative fan grill at a later date when I find one that not only allows mass air flow, but looks good as well. The rest will be simple stuff like wire management, maybe some lighting (haven't decided yet). But I will keep the worklog going with more pics, including pics of what the completed case looks like.

Nice cuts so far... and the dubs. :D

I like the quote in ur sig too. :p

Your font dubs looks a little skew, or is it just me?

That's just the angle the pic was taken. I measured three times before drilling even one hole, and remeasured each hole as I went along. Those wheels are perfectly square to the chasis.

Actually I wrapped up the project (for the most part) about 2 weeks ago, and had it running like a champ at a LAN party. I decided to remove the wheels because I wanted the case to fit into a shelf on my desk, and the wheels made it too tall. I left the cosmetics of the case alone, and still have to tidy up the mess of wires. As for the guts of the rig, a socket 939 4000+, 2GB Crucial Balistix, a Biostar 6100 MOBO and two 400GB SATA HDD's. I have effectionately named the rig "Mini Me" which sits next to my server in a silver SilverStone TJ-06 named (of course) Dr. Evil. Thanks for reminding me that this thread was sitting idle, I have been pretty busy with other things lately and forgot about this thread.

Back