P9X79 LE USB 3.0 Not working

EtherealConstruct

Limp Gawd
I've got an issue with both my front and back USB3.0 ports (front panel USB plugged into header). I can't use any of the ports with my USB 3.0 External Drive (WD passport) although the white active LED is on. Windows never recognizes that it is connected. I can connect to it through any of the USB 2.0 ports, and I've tried a USB 2.0 stick in all of the USB 3.0 ports, in none of the cases did the USB 2.0 stick's LED turn on. During that phase, USB 3.0 legacy was enabled, but I have since disabled it. I've also made sure that the controller is enabled in BIOS. The device manager shows ASMedia XHCI controllers and no yellow flags. It says both devices are working correctly. Also running the latest version of the USB 3.0 driver available on the website.

Help Please?

What about controller firmware? That's a common issue for USB 3.0

Yes as Ultima says, check both the ASMedia AND the WD drive firmware is the latest.

When you plug in the drive does anything show up in the Device Manager?
Do you have the USB 3.0 hub visible in the device manager?

I had this happen on my P9X79 Pro...

I installed the drivers of of Asus' website. Problem solved.

May not help you, but the generic windows driver didn't work and the one from Asus did. Good luck.

I verified that my driver is the latest off of the Asus website. I'm not sure how to check the firmware of the external drive nor how to update it? Also, if I'm not even getting the LED on when using a USB 2.0 drive in the USB 3.0 port with legacy enabled, isn't that indicative of the mobo not working and not the drive malfunctioning?

I verified that my driver is the latest off of the Asus website. I'm not sure how to check the firmware of the external drive nor how to update it? Also, if I'm not even getting the LED on when using a USB 2.0 drive in the USB 3.0 port with legacy enabled, isn't that indicative of the mobo not working and not the drive malfunctioning?

For the driver, try 1.16.4.0. Currently the latest firmware for the ASMedia USB 3.0 is 120816-02-02-06D.

As for updating the firmware for your external drive, you can get it here.

Although it does sound like the drive is simply not being recognized by the board. I'd try another computer to rule out the compatibility issue first.

Back