P95/IBT stable but still get regular crashes

ep3w

Gawd
I can pass about 20 runs of IBT and I did about 16 hours of prime 95 and everything passed fine @ 3.7Ghz. Try to load up battlefield 3 and it will blue screen or hard lock almost instantly. Also get reboots just browsing the web. I read somewhere LLC can cause this but tried turning it off and it made no difference. Any ideas?

Try lowering your overclock and see what happens. It could be that you're having a different hardware error. What level of IBT are you running? And which P95 test are you running? I would download LinX, and use the max memory option.

Does it only lock up on Battlefield 3, or are other games also affected?

Try lowering your overclock and see what happens. It could be that you're having a different hardware error. What level of IBT are you running? And which P95 test are you running? I would download LinX, and use the max memory option.

Does it only lock up on Battlefield 3, or are other games also affected?

Everything is 100% stable at 3.5Ghz so its something to do with going past that to 3.7. I was running IBT on max and I believe it was small-fft on prime. I'll try out LinX and see how that goes.

I haven't tried any other games, but it crashes even just browsing the web and BF3 works fine at 3.5Ghz also.

Definitely find the right balance with your boards GTL's.

By GTL voltage are you referring to the reference voltages? I've just left those on auto, as I thought it was always supposed to be a certain ratio of another voltage. Could bumping those up or down a notch or two effect it? I will see if there is any effect.

Might be an issue with voltage going to the PCIe 2.0 lanes for your graphics card. When BF3 loads up it is putting a lot of extra load on the system via the graphics that your prime95 and IBT don't test for. Remember that you have a number of different components on your MB requesting voltages besides your RAM and CPU. Burning in just with Prime95 is not going to fully test your system. You need to verify that when you have high graphics loads the PCIe lanes are getting enough voltage as well.

Try this custom prime run. Under memory to use just enter your available ram.

prime.png

I've been reading up on the GTL voltages and starting to try to mess with those. At 3.7Ghz it bluescreens almost instantly with LinX. What does this do different that P95/IBT don't do? I don't think its an issue wth PCIe voltage since it happens even web browsing and now LinX but its worth a shot. Will try the custom prime run next.

Looks like you have a RAM problem.

IBT is essentially the same thing as LinX, but uses pre-set RAM settings, which may or may not completely fill up your RAM, especially if you have it on one of the lower settings. The settings I told you to run LinX at completely fills up your RAM, and so will that custom P95 setting. Sounds like you might have a bad stick.

Looks like you have a RAM problem.

IBT is essentially the same thing as LinX, but uses pre-set RAM settings, which may or may not completely fill up your RAM, especially if you have it on one of the lower settings. The settings I told you to run LinX at completely fills up your RAM, and so will that custom P95 setting. Sounds like you might have a bad stick.

Would running memtest help confirm this then? I've been able to run it at 3.6Ghz for 12+passes but haven't tried at 3.7 yet.

Memtest should be able to help confirm whether or not your RAM is bad. It could also just be that your RAM cannot handle running at those speeds, and might require a voltage bump. Or your memory controller needs a voltage bump, although I'm not sure what that would be on a 775 system.

Linx isn't super hard on the ram. When it uses more memory its just a harder test on the cpu. It sounds to me like you just need more core voltage.

Last night I tried manually setting the cpu reference and mch reference voltages to .633*VTT and it did 10 passes of LinX, about 9 hours of prime blend and its now running that custom prime run. It looks like auto was not setting these reference voltages properly like I thought. I haven't had a chance to try BF3 or anything yet though. The RAM should be able to handle those speeds its rated at 1066 and its running slower than that.

Back