P8P67 Pro cold boot VGA LED

JohnSu

n00b
Hi,

I seen a few people mention a problem with the P8P67 (Pro in my case) and the VGA light in amongst other threads about BIOS/Memory, but I’ve not seen a solution and I’m suffering with the problem, so I thought I’d start a thread.

On cold boot, my machine powers up, starts testing - CPU LED light up and goes out, Mem LED does the same, but then it gets to the VGA LED and freezes. Nothing has appeared on screen, no BIOS messages. Total block.

If I then press the reset button it goes through POST normally, I get all the BIOS messages and windows starts normally. The graphics card seems quite happy second time around – everything works, I can even re-start windows without problem.

However, if I shutdown windows and restart later I go back to step 1 with the VGA light and a total block.

I’ve tried the original, 1003, and 1253, same problem.
I’ve cleared BIOS and removed the battery more times than I care to mention, no change.
I’ve tried standard memory settings and XMP, no change.
I’ve disabled the Marvell controller, put the OCZ on the Intel 3G and the WD HD on the 6G

I’m getting to the end of my patience with this motherboard to get rid of the simple but annoying problem…. Any ideas?

P8P67 Pro/i7-2600/Sapphire HD5770/Crucial Ballistix PC17000 (BL2CP25664FN2139CEU)/OCZ Vertex 2 90Gb/WD Caviar Black S3 64M 640G

Probably a compability issue with the Pro and HD5770 of yours. Might want to try a different video card (especially an Nvidia one) and see how it goes.

I had a similar problem with mine (although it mostly occured following a failed S3 sleep). I eventually discovered that my x16 PCIe slot was running at x1 (1.1) mode. I moved the graphics card to the second slot and now everything is working fine (except it is at x8). No more problems with the VGA LED. Waiting for a replacement board.

I tried GPU-Z, it seems to report that it's running at x16 on the first slot - so that seems OK.

I unfortunately haven't got another Graphics card lying about, I bought this one to work with this system thinking it should be a relatively safe choice. Surely an Asus motherboard would work with a mid range ATI card? I'm not sure about returning the graphics card as it does work after the cold boot and reset -the motherboard seems to have many more issues so I think the problem lies there.

Anyone else got an ATI card working OK?

Yes, in times like these, it would really be helpful if you have an extra video card laying around. It would really make your world a lot easier. Maybe it's time to just pick up a cheap one just for this purpose if you are like the rest of us who can't keep their hands off building new PCs or experimenting new hardware.

I went to 1204 with full CMOS reset, it seems to have got worse. Now the reset button getting the machine to start is a bit flacky as to if it will boot or not - pot luck. Choosing a Graphics card that works seems random with this Motherboard. Over two weeks of frustration and it is still not working - I need a working machine not a guinea pig machine.

I'm 99% sure this is a BIOS problem which is really annoying, I have a case open with ASUS I think I'll ask to RMA the board and buy something a bit more reliable.

seems to be a problem solely for ati cards _ i was having same problem and switched from ati 4650 to gtx 460 and it worked.

I posted somewhere else on here with the same problem. See if you can get the ram stable by holding down the Mem OK button. The system will try to recover by rebooting and running some tests in the backgroung. I didn't work forme but it might for you. The whole reason for that button as it states in the manual to get your ram stable if not compatible.This feature seems to FAIL ASUS.

Palms

Back