P8P67 Pioneer DVR-216 problem.

Hi guys. I finally received all the parts to my new system including an Asus P8P67 motherboard. Everything went fine during assembly and it posts as should from the get go. All my parts are listed in successfully in the bios including my Pioneer DVR-216 on the Intel SATA ports. The issue comes when trying to load Windows. If the Pioneer drive is connected to any of the SATA ports on the motherboard Windows locks during the splash screen while loading. If I unplug the drive Windows will finish booting as should. This is extremely frustrating as I have never had this issue on my P35 based system with this exact burner also on the Intel SATA ports. I enabled the onboard Marvel controller and currently have the Pioneer successfully running on that but that is not ideal. I originally planed on having the Marvel Controller completely disabled but now I don't have a choice cause I need an optical drive. With the drive on the Intel SATA ports as well, I cannot successfully load and read a Windows 7 install disc. What is going on here? Why does the bios recognize and list it but I cannot use it beyond that? I am a bit worried something might be wrong with my board/setup unless I can be told otherwise. I don't feel like wasting the time or money buying another burner just to test when I know this one still works. If anyone can sort me out, please do! Thanks!

See if there's an updated bios for the burner. If that doesn't work buy a new one, even great burners don't cost much.

Also, what mode are your sata ports running in? IDE, ahci? Maybe that has something to do with it

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I am running the latest firmware on the burner, 1.10. It is a couple years old so EOL and no longer being updated. I understand buying a new burner isn't a huge deal, I just want to make sure this is isolated and getting a new one won't exhibit the same behaviour having me waste time and money. My current burner is just fine which is a real disappointment that it will not work as should.

I never heard anything good about pioneer burners. Heck I never heard anything AT ALL about pioneer burners. Now their receivers, on the other hand, they make some good ones.

Anyway, if you can't get Asus to see if they can give you a beta bios that might work with that drive, grab a LG blu-ray burner/combo dvd drive from newegg and call it a day. It's a better drive than that pioneer, anyway, and won't lock up the computer.

Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I have searched around and found out it is the Intel RST 10 series drivers that are causing the issues. Other uses rolling back to 9.6 have had no issues with Windows successfully booting when off the 10 series drives. I have tried to install the 9.6 drivers myself but was greeted with a message stated I do not meet the minimum requirements to install the driver so it looks like I am stuck on the 10 series. I may just get a new drive and was looking into the Sony Optiarc 7260S which has an NEC chipset and appears to fare pretty well. I have no interest in a Blu Ray drive as I do not watch movies on my computer whatsoever. I appreciate your reply however.

The problem is, how can the RST Drivers be the problem, when you can't even BOOT with the windows DVD to install/reinstall windows? The drivers are not even loaded at that point. Unless RST is firmware on the motherboard that is updated when you flash the BIOS?

Yes that is correct I believe. The RST 10 firmware on the chipset also plays a role I believe as I do know it gets updated with the firmware of the motherboard, for instance, a new one is due which is to allow drives larger than 2.2TB to be bootable on the Intel controllers in the near future. Either way I will just keep my drive on the Marvel controller or get a new one since there does not seem to be any other mention of a fix around that I can see.

Thanks again for your reply.

Back