P8P67 Deluxe freezes

crushdepth

n00b
My new machine freezes randomly. The screen still displays but it is totally locked solid, can't CTRL+Alt+Del out of it. Sometimes it crashes after a few minutes, other times it will run for hours before freezing up. There seem to be a lot of people with similar problems. I would like to know:

* Has anyone found a fix for the "freeze" problem that definitely works?
* Has ASUS acknowledged that there is a problem with this board?

My machine specs are:

* i7-2600k cpu @ 3.4 GHz (no overclocking - yet!)
* Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard (B3)
* 2 x 4 gigs G.Skill RipjawsX (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) memory
* Gigabyte HD Radeon 6950 GPU
* Zalman CNPS 9900 Max heat sink
* WD black 1TB hard drive
* LG GH24 DVD drive
* Silverstone Strider Plus 750W PSU
* Windows 7 Pro

I have tried this with no results:

* Updating to the latest Bios (1502)
* Updating all the drivers.
* Reseating all the cables and cards.
* Disable C3/C6.
* Clean reinstall of Windows.

Any suggestions? I love the design and have always used ASUS boards but I think this is going to be the last one. Thanks.

Last edited:
just out of my own curiosity, would be interested to know what errors repeatedly shows up in event viewer with a red mark - in any of the catagories

there are also a couple of Win 7 updates that cause probs, like the accusys
When you install a fresh Win 7 on your HDD
Was it SP1?
If so, was SP1 part of your original ISO, did you slipstream it, or did you let MS update to it after install?

And you have no SSD right?

What Intel RST are you using?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...board_id=1&model=P8P67 DELUXE&page=1&count=26

Not SP1. Windows 7 was installed off an OEM disk and it has been patched, but not upgraded to SP1 (though if you have all the patches, they aren't that different). I don't have an SSD (waiting for the OCZ Vertex 3 to hit the shelves). I have Intel RST version 10.0.0.1046, but there's no raid on the disk (I keep my data on a NAS box).

Event viewer: A critical 'Kernel-Power' is listed for each crash, but I think this is caused by me hard resetting the machine (I let the last freeze sit for a while before resetting it and looked at the timestamp in the log). I also get an an 'unexpected shutdown' error, which is not surprising given I cut the power.

Help!!!

If your running your G.skill at 1.5V, try bumping the voltage a little. I've seen where this has fixed the problem for people specifically using G.skill RAM.

How much should I bump the voltage do you think?

I've dumbed the RAM down to 1066MHz, and got through >4 hours of Black Ops without a crash. I'll report back on progress. If it holds for a long time, I'll put the speed up and alter the voltage and see if THAT holds. I'm going to systematically beat on this until its fixed. Then I'm going to terrorise Asus for a while. I hope it helps others.

I can confirm that I have the same issue. Random freezes seem to be popular on the ASUS P67 MBs. It occurs as described, randomly and instantly.

I've been working on it for long, but haven't found a solution yet. It's not the Intel RST driver's because I had a freeze with MS driver's also.

So, did the ram speed lowering work for you to be long term stable?

Since you say you are looking for things to try...........

The ASUS VIP link in my first post talks about several freeze issues, including bumping RAM up .1. Did you read it?
FWIW most of the freeze issues are related to SSD's, but you dont have one, so I'm leaning towards RAM/RAM settings

I dont have the lockups, so I cant test things, but if you wish you could try the 10.1.2.1004 RST drivers
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel raid.htm

Of course you have to be in AHCI or RAID mode in bios
And you would have to check in dev manager AHCI controllers to make absolutely sure these drivers actually installed, if not, install in safe mode.

And as I said you have to look for the accusys MS update in UD history

You can also go to power options and there are three options - balanced, powersave and performance - try performance and make all the adv setting at max

You could also turn off all power options in you networkadapters properties in Dev Man

Lowering memory speed to 1066 is the only thing that 100% seemed to work so far. I tested it for about 1.5 days with plenty of gaming, but I don't want to run at that speed long term.

I put the speed back up to 1600 and freezing started again. So I tried increasing the RAM voltage incrementally. At just under 1.6 volts it stopped freezing (tested for 8 hours of heavy use). Again, I need to test it more to be certain.

Last night in a fit of frustration I also tried applying 'autotune' on the 'fast' setting last night to see what would happen. It overclocked the machine to 4.4 GHz and to my surprise, no freezes since (another 8 hours of heavy gaming). Oddly, autotune has set my RAM speed a little bit over 1600 MHz and the voltage to exactly 1.500 volts. This seems at odds with the other two 'fixes'.

I'm going to leave it here for a while and see if it continues to hold up.

seems autotune set the many co-dependent bios parameteras to working values - which is actually what its programmed to do
Overvolting RAM was just a way of getting around another setting on "auto" that was not proper for your config

I have the same issue, but usually happens when my home network drops, I update the network driver, and still happens. running memtest and everything , it works fine, as long as I'm not on the network..

not saying this is your issue, but there ARE powersave options in dev man netw adapters
So as i said, you could try performance setting in cntrl panel power options and turn OFF all green stuff in the dev man net adapters
For example for both the realtek, it has a power options tab
"allow PC to turn off device to save energy"

Do your USB devices turn off when it freezes? A friend of mine has that happen to him - windows locks up, sound loops, USB devices turn off and he is running GSkill ram on an intel board.

Do your USB devices turn off when it freezes? A friend of mine has that happen to him - windows locks up, sound loops, USB devices turn off and he is running GSkill ram on an intel board.

I am running G.Skill ripjaw F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 4x4GB sticks, and just started running into this problem. I was having no problems on my Gigabyte UD4 before the recall for the SATA plug...SATA was working fine with 6 drives BTW....anyways...I get this new BM3 steeping UD4 motherboard...and it appears to lock up when the screen display is turned off after inactivity. I don't have hibernate enabled, I never spin down the drives, i just have the screen turn off. Usually I can tell when it happens becuase my link status lights on my logitech Cordless MX desktop go out...and I can't do anything on the computer. No USB ports seeem to work...even with a hardwire mouse....power cycle is the only thing works. I have had ONE other lock up while using the computer but it appeared to be the same...no USB power...computer then froze becuase I was copying files that never finsished...although my hard drive acticity lights still flickered.....

....so this is the G SKill RAM then maybe....? I am running completely stock, except for the multipier on my 2600k...it's at 43x....everything untouched in the bios....execpt sleep state changed to S1 from S3 i think....

any details on the fixes?

I think my freezing problem is fixed - I've had (edit: 9) days with zero lockups. So for the benefit of others, here's what I've found:

THINGS THAT DEFINITELY WORK
===========================

* Applying the 'autotune' function in AI Suite under 'fast' mode. This is my preferred solution.
* Lowering the RAM speed to 1066 MHz (but who wants to do that?).

THINGS THAT PROBABLY WORK
=========================

* Manually increasing the RAM voltage. Bump it up one step at a time until your machine becomes stable. Mine was much better at just under 1.6 volts. Of course, do not exceed the recommended limits.

THINGS THAT DEFINITELY DON'T WORK
=================================

* Disabling C3/C6 (this was bad advice).
* Updating the BIOS to 1502 didn't help this particular problem.
* Updating all the drivers didn't help either.

IN CONCLUSION
=============

I am pretty sure the problem relates to some kind of board/memory interaction issue. However, overclocking the machine with autotune sets the voltage at 1.500 volts and increases memory speed, which is inconsistent with other known fixes. So, I'm inclined to agree with cisco_guy that the problem is an inappropriate default BIOS setting, somewhere. I am relieved to have it working, but man I've wasted a lot of time on this. Frankly, I can't recommend this board, as much as I hate to say it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:
I have had random lockups/BSOD's some time ago. Even when running stock or default 1066 memory settings. The system could run well the whole day or could crash multiple times.

In my case it was the CPU. I swapped RAM and my Motherbord but that did not fix it. When i got my new 2600K all problems where gone.
Never thought it would be the CPU most of the time its one of the other components. But with SB i would really test everything if i where you.
If you ask me SB is the worst platform since 2000. Maybe even the worst ever. You get good performance for quite a nice price but S1366 is way more stable compared to SB.

So because you got a defective CPU, you say SB is the worst platform ever?

There were 1366 CPU's with defective IMC's too, you know. Does that also make it the worst platform ever?

I got the same problem, random reboots with the p8p67 deluxe (sometimes in a few minutes and sometimes in a few hours). The reboots occur even if I am still in the BIOS also (No hard drives attached to rule out the SSD or Windows 7 drivers)

I have the same G.Skill RAM mentioned in the first post. I have also noticed that someone else noticed the same problem with the same Memory/MB combo on Newegg too.

I RMAed the RAM, and ordered one that is listed on Asus' QVL. I will keep you guys posted once I receive the new RAM kit

EDIT: Setting the RAM to 1066 MHz and/or changing the voltage to 1.59375 and 1.6V did not resolve the issue. I could not install AI Suite to overclock it from the OS (because it reboots before I can finish the installation.) I did try OC tune from the BIOS which pegged the CPU at 4.3+ GHz and RAM at 1600+ MHz (around 1680, I think), and it didn't keep the system stable for more than a few minutes either.

The fixes listed above are for the random *freeze* problem that a lot of people reported (machine locks solid with display still on). If your machine is rebooting itself or having BSOD, that is probably something else.

Good luck!

Crushdepth,

I am surprised to see the following combination working for you.
* Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard (B3)
* 2 x 4 gigs G.Skill RipjawsX (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) memory

The only other thing I can think of that is different is the GPU. I got the Asus Gtx 570 Direct CU II (three slots card).

I don't see any freezes, so it might be a different problem.

With your troublesome setup, 1600 Mhz at stock 1.5V and no overclocking, did you try just staying in the BIOS screen? Does the BIOS freeze too when you leave it on for more than a few minutes?

My P8P67 been freezing since B2. I am seriously thinking swapping this MB.

I just put together my Asus P8P67 Deluxe with the 12800CL9D-8GBXL memory.
I'm also having crashes while playing Bad Company2... doing some research and even though G.Skill says its made for P67, it is not lised in their compatibility list. More research has led me to this link and also see Deluxe users having similar issues on Newegg's reviews.
When I first started having the crashes, I ran MemTest86 and recieved a whole bunch of errors.
Had you done the same? Would incompatible memory cause errors in MemTest86?
I ask because if the setting proposed don't work, I'm buying different memory and would like to sell off this memory. I have to sell it because I'm like one day over my 30 days at Newegg.

BlizzofOZ,

At least one of the reviews on Newegg is mine. So, don't take my word for granted. Looks like the OP got it working without any problems with some tweaks. Try if his tweaks workout for you.

The confusing thing is GSkill's website lists p8p67 Deluxe as supported. But Asus's website does not (may be they did not update it in a long time). In my case, I am just waiting for a new replacement to arrive.

If your RAM is failing Memtest, you can RMA it with GSkill. I think they offer lifetime warranty and anytime any stick fails on you, you can always get a replacement.

Well... I've discovered at one problem and possibly another...

1) Apparently I'm using the wrong MemTest86!!! I was using ver 4.0 updated in 03/2011.
Found out at GSkill's forums that there is a MemTest86+ ver4.2 (notice the +), which was updated
for Sandy Bridge.

2) I thought my P8P87 Deluxe's BIOS was update to date, as I used AI Suite to check... and no updates. I believe the version is 1305 (I'm at work atm). Looks like there is a ver1503, which was just recently released. Also read the Asus doesn't update their FTP BIOS updates... so I may have the wrong, older BIOS version!

I updated my BIOS to 1503. According to Asus' Support, the new BIOS improves compatibility with components, but it did not solve anything for me.

So because you got a defective CPU, you say SB is the worst platform ever?

There were 1366 CPU's with defective IMC's too, you know. Does that also make it the worst platform ever?

Well a Asus board blew up on me running everything but extreme settings. It also took a cpu with it. Then all kids of strange bios issues. On Both Asus and MSI board. (also heard reports on GA boards but i dont own one myself).

And then the B2 chipset bugs..... I have had 5 boards already. 2 MSI, 3 Asus.

I never had these kids of issues with my AM2+, AM3 and S1366 setups i also used those from day one.

I built the system shown in my sig last week and almost immediately began to experience the "random" freeze issue. In some cases I would also get BSOD after a freeze. I'm not sure if my solution will work for all, but after a lot of searching and troubleshooting I was able to trace the problem to iaStor errors caused by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. Some SATA devices, especially optical drives from what I understand, are not able to respond to the power management aspects of Intel RST and this results in a timeout error. Seems like no big deal but it causes a system freeze and on some systems can also BSOD. Look in the windows event log for iaStor errors - if you see any, then I can assure you that's your problem.

You can try to swap in a new optical drive, as some are probably compatible and some are not (no way to know for sure - I could not find a list anywhere). The only other confirmed solution I have found is to switch your SATA devices to IDE mode in the BIOS. Normally this would then require re-installation of windows, but there is a workaround and it worked for me (thanks to Danny Bui for that recommendation).

Believe me, I tried everything from adjusting DRAM timings and speed, CPU oc'ing profiles, etc. and even convinced myself a couple times that it was fixed. IDE mode solved the problem and my system is now rock solid;) My RAM is at 7-8-7-24 and 1600 mhz. The only reason I don't oc my cpu beyond 4 ghz is because I am using the stock cooler, which is lousy.

I hope intel will address this issue with a future version of the RST driver. It does sort of irritate me that I cannot take advantage of the performance perks of AHCI, but I have chosen stability over the modest read/write gains.

i have a ssd for my os and apps and i would rather not switch to IDE

my dram voltage is at 1.575 atm and is runing stable so far hopfully it stays stable :/

i have a ssd for my os and apps and i would rather not switch to IDE

my dram voltage is at 1.575 atm and is runing stable so far hopfully it stays stable :/

Sure, if you're using a SSD then you probably need to stick with AHCI. In my case, I knew there was a problem anyway because I was seeing system hangs and BSODs on a routine basis. Sounds like you're running stable but you could still take a peek in the event log to see if you're getting the isStor errors. If none are present then you don't even have to worry about it.

I got my new RAM (10666CL9D8GBRL from GSkilll) yesterday which is on the Asus motherboard's QVL, and it was stable for around 45 minutes the first time and then rebooted with 5 minutes of next few trials (even without memtest).

So, I cleared the CMOS again and tried the "Asus Optimal" setting, the third option in the easy mode UEFI screen. Now, everything seems to be stable for more than 12 hours now.

I have not run any intense applications, games or benchmarks yet except for A SSD benchmark and Windows Experience Index.

Looks like some stock setting on P8P67 Deluxe is not good enough to keep the system stable. With the automatic overclock, my CPU is at 4.3 GHz and RAM is slightly over 1370 MHz.

I did not check which particular setting did the magic yet. But, the CPU voltage is a little bit High at 1.25V and BCLK is 103 MHz, with multiplier at 42. DRAM voltage is slightly above 1.5V, but I think it is still on Auto. I have to check Load Line calibration and Phase settings later in the evening.

If your getting iaStor errors you should check out this post on how to disable Link Power Management in RST.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved-for-me/td-p/38766

Thanks for this, I probably would have tried it last week when I was still getting these errors. I'm not sure I want to go back to AHCI at this point, unless I decide to install a SSD and/or setup RAID. I'm running perfectly after switching to IDE mode and I'm not even sure I can switch back without re-installing windows (it may technically be possible but I've read it can cause problems). It's interesting that there is not a more straightforward option to enable/disable LPM, such as a simple menu option within the RST user interface. It's obviously incompatible with certain devices, so the end user should not be left to require a registry hack in order to control this feature:rolleyes:

Even worse, this info is only available to OEM's, it's not on Intel's public domain. Had this fellow not gotten his hands on the OEM Guide I'd still be having lock-ups!

I have had random lockups/BSOD's some time ago. Even when running stock or default 1066 memory settings. The system could run well the whole day or could crash multiple times.

In my case it was the CPU. I swapped RAM and my Motherbord but that did not fix it. When i got my new 2600K all problems where gone.
Never thought it would be the CPU most of the time its one of the other components. But with SB i would really test everything if i where you.
If you ask me SB is the worst platform since 2000. Maybe even the worst ever. You get good performance for quite a nice price but S1366 is way more stable compared to SB.

p55 in my opinion is the same in terms of stability out of the box.

it sounds like from what I am reading the problems that started in p55 have continued to SB. On my rig I had to downclock or overvolt my ram to make it stable, the first time I have built a rig where auto/SPD was not stable. I put it down to an onchip ram controller been more picky.

I am getting this too. Could not figure it out since I can stress test with anything I throw at the machine but it has crashed while right clicking on a folder in win7 while I am running nothing-or when I 3dmark finishes the test I go back to the desktop and crash.

2 days ago I enabled the C3/C6 so I will disable that and see what happens, then try raising my mem volts a bit over the 1.5v, and then last uninstall the RST drivers which I installed from the Asus CD.

Well turning off C3/C6 fixed the problems for me :)

What a PITA: I wish that ASUS rep who posted the OC guide would include this in this little section on the Power saving features.

Well I think i fixed my problem i hope

first i changed my dvd drive from the sata 3 slot to the 1 open intel sata 6 slot other one is used by my ssd i have disabled the marvel sata 6 controler for lil faster boot time lol

that seemed to fix the problem but just in case i disabled the Link Power Management in RST. I was geting iaStor errors when My pc was freezing but havent had a freeze in about 3 or 4 days now

p8p67 deluxe
16 gigs of gskill ram
c300 sdd

runs realy nice atm

I just had a freeze while using firefox after being stable for 9 days, 24/7.

I'm still getting some pretty bad freezing with corsair dominator 8gb ram. Tried upping voltage to 1.65, also lowering speed to 1066. Still freezing :p I hate this mobo

Back