P6T I7 Issues w/ Memory

• Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

The system in my signature just started having a problem today that I can't understand for the life of me.

I finished building this a week or so ago and it's been perfect up to this point with NO OC's done, all games have run perfect, all ram was fine, etc. Basically it was a stable system.

Then this afternoon while I was listening to a few audio tracks for content all of a sudden my USB ports shut off and seconds later the system hard locked. Upon a manual reset it would not post until I removed all but 1 stick of my RAM set, which is a 3x2GB Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz kit. I was able to get the system back up with 1 stick as it is right now as I'm writing this post. I went through various settings and took ram related stuff off Auto and even tried the XMP auto profile stuff, to no avail. Each stick of ram will allow the system to post if tried individually, however when in dual or tri channel mode it simply will not... I tried a separate DDR3 1333 XMS 3 kit that I have in single and dual channel mode so I know that the RAM is not the issue.. I have also flashed the BIOS to the latest version as well.

So in summary when I go to dual/tri channel mode for my ram, the system will not respond.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Upon further troubleshooting, I have determined that any time any piece of ram is in bank 4 (2nd orange one) the system will not post, it's not a channel mode issue, I think it's a physical slot issue...1st and 3rd orange memory slot populated and I can run 4 GB of ram in dual channel, 1st and 3rd orange slot populated and it posts, all orange slots populated = no post period. I still don't get a post with any ram in the black slots... I don't get that at all...

Upon further troubleshooting, I have determined that any time any piece of ram is in bank 4 (2nd orange one) the system will not post, it's not a channel mode issue, I think it's a physical slot issue...1st and 3rd orange memory slot populated and I can run 4 GB of ram in dual channel, 1st and 3rd orange slot populated and it posts, all orange slots populated = no post period. I still don't get a post with any ram in the black slots... I don't get that at all...

The ASUS P6T X58 Deluxe provides a full six memory slots that allow for a maximum capacity of 12 GB of DDR3 at full performance potential. Other manufacturers such as Intel opted to only include four memory slots. In these boards the full memory performance potential is only achieved with the primary three slots filled. The forth slot allows you to add an additional 2GB of DRAM, but that module is only accessed at single-channel performance rate, decreasing performance of that module by 66.66%. As you can see in the image below the memory slots are colored coded orange and black. If your are only using three sticks of DDR3 we found it best to populate the orange slots.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=261&Itemid=69&limit=1&limitstart=3

Asus_P6T-OCPalm_Deluxe-Angle_9.jpg

Ok fine, I figured the orange slots were for the ram i have, this doesn't solve my problem of not being able to POST with 3 of them in, the 2nd orange slot makes the board fail to post.

it would seem that your memory banks are failing. You could try to set defaults in BIOS and/or reflash the BIOS to see if the BIOS is bad. Its also possible the memory is bad. Everything is mass produced, there will be failures along the way for some.

Suckage....guess that's what I get for being on the bleeding edge :/

Back