P6900 - new bigadv, 160,000ppd, wohooo!

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
3am, can't sleep, check on what SR2-3 is doing, first night folding...

New bigadv!

Last edited:
I just picked one up, too. It looks to be very similar ppd wise to the 2685. I'm only a few % into it, so things may change as the work progresses.

original.jpg

It is basically a P2686 for points...:D:D:D:D:D:D

There's another project floating around that MAY be released soon - p2689. looks to be slightly larger than the rest of the -bigadv projects, base points are currently listed at 11.3k + bonus.

I am a happy camper. I've got 2 of them running (1 on i7 920 @ 3.8 and 1 on SR-2)!!!

These seem to be just a teensy weensy bit faster than 2686. I'm hoping my 2nd i7 920 will pick one up as it hasn't had a Big Adv in nearly a week.

This is sweet! Both my folding1 and 2 rigs just drew a 6900 bigadv right now. Considering the radical departure from the typical bigadv numbering scheme, I hope Tobit will fill us in on what kind of research this new bigadv will be doing.

TPF's seem to be almost exactly right on par with the turbocharged 2692 and 2686 bigadv's. I'm so jealous at your SR2 and dual G34 owners right now :eek: :)

Damn, you guys beat me to the punch on announcing this. I'm not sure what type of research this unit is doing at this time, the developer shared very few details during beta testing.

If you guys like 6900 so much, ya'll are going to love what Nathan is alluding to. *whistles innocently*

Damn, you guys beat me to the punch on announcing this. I'm not sure what type of research this unit is doing at this time, the developer shared very few details during beta testing.

If you guys like 6900 so much, ya'll are going to love what Nathan is alluding to. *whistles innocently*

Ya know, I bitch slap people for less :D

Not sure if any of my sr-2 rigs have picked one of these up yet, but I'm looking forward to them.

Top 20 list is going to be a furball :cool:

It would be nice if this drought in bigadv is over for a while. You guys remember the days when we were able to get nothing but bigadv!

While I love the research that is especially being done with the 6701/6702's, I have to admit that i'm a bit tired of seeing my ppd numbers being so low.

I just got one of these about 20 minutes ago, and hope it does run as fast as the 2686s... going to be spending a decent chunk of time on my rig today in World of Tanks trying to get out of the crappy Panzer 4 I'm stuck in now. Being able to finish this unit with a day to spare will make me feel a bit less guilty :D

edit... just posted 1st frame at 33:48 TPF, looking good

Last edited:

Hey Tobit, Psummary can be such a useful tool to find out whats coming:D;)

There's another project floating around that MAY be released soon - p2689. looks to be slightly larger than the rest of the -bigadv projects, base points are currently listed at 11.3k + bonus.

It looks like the bonus on p2689 will be higher, too. The KFactor is listed at 35.20 while every other bigadv is 26.40.

I have to change my assessment. I run a gpu client on my bigadv machines when i get non-bigadv WUs. Once I realized this was a new bigadv, I set oneunit on the gpu and now that it has finished, these new WUs are definitely in the 2692 range on my i7-920 @ 3800.

Eh, you guys are welcome. :p
[currently getting brow-beaten by a 2684 while y'all are running these cherry WUs] :D

Eh, you guys are welcome. :p
[currently getting brow-beaten by a 2684 while y'all are running these cherry WUs] :D

Heh, I got my fair share of 2684's as I seem to have gotten a string of them when I wasn't getting regular stuff. The fact that both of my rigs are working on a 6900 is definately refreshing.

got a pair of 6900's...

one on a i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz getting 28kppd
another on a L5640 (single) @ 3.9Ghz getting 52kppd

nice numbers!

sr-2 rig is still finishing up a 2685 @ 116kppd

Just got one on my Core I7 970 @ 4.15Ghz. Looking good so far. 23 minute TPF with three video cards folding on it is close to 2692 speeds.

Giggidy.

looks like I have 5 of these running right now, tpf's range from 17min to 37min for my slowest bigadv rigs

Interesting (I hope). So, with this unreleased WU, are we going to see long TPFs or roughly similar to what we have now? I don't give a rat's *ss about the potential bonus, but I am concerned about time to completion. Why the different points allocation compared to all the other -bigadv WUs??

It would be nice if this drought in bigadv is over for a while. You guys remember the days when we were able to get nothing but bigadv!
Nope, can't remember that far back. :D

While I love the research that is especially being done with the 6701/6702's, I have to admit that i'm a bit tired of seeing my ppd numbers being so low.
It doesn't help when the servers don't distribute the bonus either. ;)

I just picked up a 2686. For the record my 3 hex cores are running respectively, 2684, 2685, 2686. This = 145K ppd.

I snagged two of these today

dual hex Intel @ 3.636 - 136K ppd
singe hex Intel @ 4.3 - 67K ppd

About identical to the 2686s

I was just trying the new fahmon, and I do not know if it is calculating PPD correctly.. I vaguely recall the last version has issues, but I never used it before.

Screenies taken at the same time of HFM and Fahmon:

original.jpg

original.jpg

Both set to last frame... Is this a fahmon thing, or a problem with the new units?

original.jpg

It is basically a P2686 for points...:D:D:D:D:D:D

/me looks at the screen shot above. then looks at this pos rig running a 6701 WU and cry's.. :(

I was just trying the new fahmon, and I do not know if it is calculating PPD correctly.. I vaguely recall the last version has issues, but I never used it before.

Both set to last frame... Is this a fahmon thing, or a problem with the new units?

theres to many variables to say which one is right or wrong. since both programs calculate PPD differently even if they are both set at last frame.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Regardless of which is right, you've got to love 420K - 430K ppd... :)

Regardless of which is right, you've got to love 420K - 430K ppd... :)

Well mate, you know, I was just typing back a reply saying yes, I am pretty damn happy... until I saw a new IP appear in the viewer downloading: http://130.237.232.141
= P6900 on all 3! :eek:

sirmonkey1985 - you might want to avert your teary eyes at this point..
original.jpg

original.jpg

THIS is HAPPY!

It took several weeks to experience max capacity when I added SR2#2. Looks like 18hours after adding SR2#3 I am officially in wetting myself, unicorns and rainbows, died-and-gone-to-heaven territory.

Should I fire up a GPU or two just to nudge 500,000ppd? :rolleyes:

But enough about my wet dreams :eek:... I am getting very curious about this new P2689. Is this the Empire Strikes Back? - a longer running bigadv to break all the marginal machines that can only just make the deadline on a P2684? Has anyone run the numbers? Oracle of Tobit - do you see stormy times ahead, or great happiness?

Should I fire up a GPU or two just to nudge 500,000ppd? :rolleyes:
Not replying to you specifically MIBW, or anyone else running similar hardware/configs, but it's exactly the situation I've been attempting to communicate (with apparent lack of success), why the bonus system is not a good thing nor is it sustainable in its current state. I cannot see why a couple of systems however powerfully endowed they may be, should vastly outproduce roughly contemporaneous hardware composed of GPU and SMP clients numbering in the dozens. It is an egregious disparity and just doesn't make sense on any level. PG needs to rethink the bonus system and at the very least, flatten the curve to make it linear or better yet, drop it altogether. It's plain ridiculous and getting worse with each new -bigadv WU iteration that's released. :confused:

...I am getting very curious about this new P2689. Is this the Empire Strikes Back? - a longer running bigadv to break all the marginal machines that can only just make the deadline on a P2684?
Fantastic for those who can afford the best of the best at the best time, but woe unto those with 'marginal' systems barely making by with an incentives system that is growing in disparity and hyperbole.

I am eagerly awaiting a reply to my earlier post and to yours as well because it will determine whether it's curtain call for my pittance of an endeavor despite all the effort I put out on a continuous basis for what seems like ages... :rolleyes:

Yeah Apollo, I hear you. I would be pretty down too if I had a large longtime investment in FAH. From my reading so far the history of FAH has meant big winners and correspondingly large losers in the never ending game of optimising hardware for ppd.

While I am a bit insulated from the downside - this hardware is fundamentally bought for rendering my animations, but has a major benefit in being not used for work most of the time. I would not make the same investment for FAH only - just too risky. Less than a few weeks ago things looked pretty grim - bigadv running out, flood of 6701s etc. Today it is all rainbows and sunshine. Hey - at least this will help [H] proportionally more than any other team. Take heart that this is PG after all, and things will probably look pretty different in a year or so - they will find new ways to disappoint us. ;)

And it is a complete joke that my Q6600 farm was not worth the power to run. One SR2 = 5 times the speed of one Q6600, but 25 times the points. As you said, that is not sustainable. That one or two boxes run part time, can put me into the top 100 of a top team in a few months, shows how distorted the system is.

Just so you know that for all the fun I get running SR2s and chasing bigadv, I have nothing but respect for the longtimers who have put in so much. I am more lucky than good. I wish we could all celebrate a new batch of bigadv equally.

Fantastic for those who can afford the best of the best at the best time, but woe unto those with 'marginal' systems barely making by with an incentives system that is growing in disparity and hyperbole.
While I'm not opposed to changes in the bonus system, bigadv did make me both more likely to fold and more likely to upgrade my hardware. I can't afford to purchase a farm of systems + gpus, much less run them 24/7. And even if I could afford them, what would I be able to do with them, besides fold? Nothing.

On the other hand, one moderately expensive but power efficient system is (barely) within my means and quite useful for a variety of tasks - virtualization server, storage server, and discrete event simulations. Not all of them at once, unfortunately - I would love to have a second SR-2, though I really can't afford it.

I can feel your pain, but remember that:
1) Folding is just like playing an MMO. The only rule of balance is that whoever's on top will one day be on the bottom, and today's underachiever will be tomorrow's powerhouse.
2) For some folks, one big system looks more affordable and more attractive than a few smaller ones. It may be unfair, but it's not all bad.

Not replying to you specifically MIBW, or anyone else running similar hardware/configs, but it's exactly the situation I've been attempting to communicate (with apparent lack of success), why the bonus system is not a good thing nor is it sustainable in its current state. I cannot see why a couple of systems however powerfully endowed they may be, should vastly outproduce roughly contemporaneous hardware composed of GPU and SMP clients numbering in the dozens. It is an egregious disparity and just doesn't make sense on any level. PG needs to rethink the bonus system and at the very least, flatten the curve to make it linear or better yet, drop it altogether. It's plain ridiculous and getting worse with each new -bigadv WU iteration that's released. :confused:

I am eagerly awaiting a reply to my earlier post and to yours as well because it will determine whether it's curtain call for my pittance of an endeavor despite all the effort I put out on a continuous basis for what seems like ages... :rolleyes:

Tobit would have to chime in, but my "gut" instinct tells me that the upcoming 2689's will be like a 2684, but corrected to bring ppd averages more in line with the other bigadv stuff. Considering the assumption(no facts to back it up) that the majority of bigadv systems could be overclocked Core i7 based rigs, I would assume that the PG would not make all of these systems useless. My gut tells me that if you can fold a 2684 on time, you may likely be able to fold the 2689's on time.

But enough about my wet dreams ... I am getting very curious about this new P2689. Is this the Empire Strikes Back? - a longer running bigadv to break all the marginal machines that can only just make the deadline on a P2684? Has anyone run the numbers? Oracle of Tobit - do you see stormy times ahead, or great happiness?

Happy times are ahead...that is all I will say....

*whistles innocently whilst glancing over at his 3.5GHz 920 very pleased with the PPD*

Sounds better than just in line with todays units.
MIBW's farm is even with the mighty Atlas at the moment.
SR-2 farm: 1.5kw
Last gen GPU farm: 12kw

Last edited:
Sounds better than just in line with todays units.
MIBW's farm is even with the mighty Atlas at the moment.
SR-2 farm: 1.5kw
Last gen GPU farm: 12kw
more evidence to support Apollo's argument that thebonus system should probably be reigned in a bit.

Regardless, mibw, EPIC PPD!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

more evidence to support Apollo's argument that thebonus system should probably be reigned in a bit.

Regardless, mibw, EPIC PPD!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

but then people will stop buying SR-2's which is bad for EVGA ;)

Maybe this is a little "we're sorry and thank you" from PG for all the 670x units. :)

Back