P5P800 Pro and Con's

Blackwind

Gawd
Is a P5P800 worth upgrading? I have basics on it and I'm considering building a new system. Have been too busy with work for a while to even think about it. Considering building all new but this system is still decent. I'm contemplating upgrading the proc to the most current for the board and 2-4 GB of memory. I can always upgrade and use this as my second system once a new system is built.

May shop around for the next few months and build a completely new system on the latest tech since its about time.

Basics as follows

ASUS P5P800
1GB Corsair XMS Extreme PC3200 DDR (400)
256-bit PNY 6800GT
2.8 520 800mhz FSB
775 Standard fan

well the old socket stuff is inexpensive to build right now and there are some bargin basement deals on the 478 cpu's and such .

but if your looking for a big upgrade rather than a "overhaul" the e4300 is comming out in jan--it's a core 2 with a 9x mulit --should be a good bargin overclocker for $163 .

by then there should be a large number of MB's that are inexpensive and overclock well to boot . with such a high multi even the 945p's should turn in a decent overclock . and there are a few "migration MB's" like the asrock 775 dual vista--they have pci-e 4x & agp-8x ,ddr 1 and ddr2 and a bunch of old and new feaures not a top overclocker but inexpensive @ $55

you can get a decent bang for buck out of the core 2's if your careful and shop around . they are allmost as cheap to build as an AMD or pentium 4 - in some cases . (-minus the ddr 2 that is)

Hmmm, so it sounds as if the path for now is to perform small upgrades to this board, add memory, bigger processor etc and wait for January time frame.

well the core 2's in the 6300 and 6400 are overclocking well and the 6300 isn't expensive @ $180 retail --the thing is that you'll need a good 965p mb like the ds-3 or s-3 and some decent ddr2 which sort of adds to the price --cpu+ddr2+MB=$$$ although the price of these items won't be much lower by jan--if your wanting to build a new core 2 system with a 965p and ddr 2--your not going to notice much savings by waiting untill jan.

if your wanting the high multi 4300 --then that's another story--where you'll have to wait untill jan.

lots of people are buying the 6400 it's 8x sort of splits the diffrence between the 6300 @ 7x and the 4300 @ 9x the only thing is that the 6400 has a higher price i think it's around $215 or so . the higher multi's are good with mb that don't have the fsb or northbridge straps to get on up there .lots of middle of the road mb's do around 300-360fsb--where a overclocking 965p can do upwards of 450fsb sometimes 500+--the thing is that the 7x and 8x core 2's seem to overclock better than higher multis because on the north bridge strap, so the lower core 2's are more serious overclockers while the higher multi's 9x & 10x seem to do better in mb's that have limited fsb--like 945ps . via 880pro's and some--(not all) 975p's

my expensive DFI 975P was a major struggle to get to 400fsb with either the 6300 or 6400. but my chepo- s-3 gigabyte did 450fsb right off the bat it's running a 6300 @ 480 right now--

now my other core 2 system a super chepo asrock 775 dual vista is doing a 6400 @ 312fsb running the old ddr 1--since the old via 880 pro chipset is limited by a 340 fsb limit a 9x multi core 2 would be most helpful--lol

so if the core 2 is the thing to get right now or in jan 07 is determined by if you need a 9x multi or not --if your building a system with good mb straps and a high fsb limit--i would say today is a good time for a 6300-- if you can get by with a 8x multi and afford a little more--then the 6400 is an ok deal-- but if you need a 9x multi--wait till jan-and the 4300-lol :cool:

JSF35rhino said:
well the core 2's in the 6300 and 6400 are overclocking well and the 6300 isn't expensive @ $180 retail --the thing is that you'll need a good 965p mb like the ds-3 or s-3 and some decent ddr2 which sort of adds to the price --cpu+ddr2+MB=$$$ although the price of these items won't be much lower by jan--if your wanting to build a new core 2 system with a 965p and ddr 2--your not going to notice much savings by waiting untill jan.

if your wanting the high multi 4300 --then that's another story--where you'll have to wait untill jan.

lots of people are buying the 6400 it's 8x sort of splits the diffrence between the 6300 @ 7x and the 4300 @ 9x the only thing is that the 6400 has a higher price i think it's around $215 or so . the higher multi's are good with mb that don't have the fsb or northbridge straps to get on up there .lots of middle of the road mb's do around 300-360fsb--where a overclocking 965p can do upwards of 450fsb sometimes 500+--the thing is that the 7x and 8x core 2's seem to overclock better than higher multis because on the north bridge strap, so the lower core 2's are more serious overclockers while the higher multi's 9x & 10x seem to do better in mb's that have limited fsb--like 945ps . via 880pro's and some--(not all) 975p's

my expensive DFI 975P was a major struggle to get to 400fsb with either the 6300 or 6400. but my chepo- s-3 gigabyte did 450fsb right off the bat it's running a 6300 @ 480 right now--

now my other core 2 system a super chepo asrock 775 dual vista is doing a 6400 @ 312fsb running the old ddr 1--since the old via 880 pro chipset is limited by a 340 fsb limit a 9x multi core 2 would be most helpful--lol

so if the core 2 is the thing to get right now or in jan 07 is determined by if you need a 9x multi or not --if your building a system with good mb straps and a high fsb limit--i would say today is a good time for a 6300-- if you can get by with a 8x multi and afford a little more--then the 6400 is an ok deal-- but if you need a 9x multi--wait till jan-and the 4300-lol :cool:

Dude. I have no idea what you just said. LOL

I've been out of the game a while as you can see from my two PC builds in my Sig. My only real focus for a new high end system would be...... SLI capability, SATA, Dual Core and DDR2 or 3.Other then that, possibly WiFi...money is no object but I don't have to have the latest cutting (bleeding) edge.

well let me ask you this--are you planning to overclock ? cause the core 2 is a whole new can of worms as far as overclocking goes . the core 2's are not difficult to overclock--they just require some forthought on which cpu-ddr and chipset --.

since you have allready a agp 6800GT , 1 gig of nice ddr 1 --the most logical thing would be the asrock-775 dual vista and a core 2 6400 . with this you can run the agp card and retain your ram as well and upgrade to pci-express and or ddr 2 later if you wish . this equals two parts--1 cpu and one motherboard + cheapest worthwhile upgrade--no sli though .

if you want a ALL new set up -- new mb with sli , with two gigs of ddr2 667, a 6300 or 6400 cpu and a new pci-e vga will be required .

this requires two sticks of ddr2-667-800
one core 2 cpu (6400) or higher depending on budget
one 975x motherboard or nforce ( i like the DFI 975x it sulpports sli and crossfire and overclocks some--price is semi-reasonable for a 975x @ $180)
and a new pci-e videocard -card's

since money is not an object-- i would say go ahead and build now with a 975x mb the 6400 is most likely as good as the 4300 and only a little more expensive -- so not worth the wait to save $60 or so in this case . if you realy green with $$ the 6600 might be an advantage in a very mild overclock --but the 6400 does so well overclocked it usually isn't worth the extra $$$ if you overclock--the 6600 that is .if you have to have the nvidia--i would advise waiting some more--but right now i don't see much advantage over the 975x chipset .

Back