P5N32-SLI SE Core 2 E6600 install results w/pics

dworley

Gawd

Just wanted to post my results with the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and E6600: (upgraded from FX-55 Clawhammer, A8N-SLI, 7900GTX 512 SLI)

Setup:
Lian Li V1000B w/window
E6600 OEM Week 25 w/Zalman 9500AM2
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 800
P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe BIOS 0305
eVGA 7900GTX 512 SLI
(2) 74gb Raptor RAID0
NEC DVD/RW 3540A
Enermax Liberty 620W PSU
NEC 20WMGX2 20" LCD Widescreen
Klipsch 5.1
Nexus Silent 120mm fans (2)
Antec 120mm tri-speed LED fan
Scythe Kama Bay cooler

I completed upgrading my system a few weeks ago and have had very positive results even with the limited overclocking potential of this MB and sorting through a POST issue.

Pro's

1. I was able to use existing RAID0 Windows XP32bit OS, updated to newest drivers from P5N32-SLI SE CD with no issues.
2. Mild Overclock E6600 Week 25 stable to 1200/800 2.7Ghz (this was all I expected)
3. Was able to mount my Zalman 9500AM2 using the Socket 775 mount kit from my old Zalman CNPS9500LED
4. speedfan can control CPU fan and Chasis 1 fan speeds, however temps read approximately 10C lower than core temp - 38C Idle vs 48C idle.
5. Games and benchmarks are noticeably faster

3DMark 06 - 9602
3DMark05 - 14535

Issues:

1. System would not cold or warm boot after brief use. I spent many hours troubleshooting this one....the system would power up and the HDD indicator would come on and flash a few times like it just kept resetting. After leaving it sit for several minutes, it would eventually boot up. Tried removing CDRW/DVD, USB devices, Neon light inverter, changed PSU's etc, single video card, updated to BETA 03 05 Bios, etc.

It occurred to me that I never had any issues when I first tested out the system build on my desk before putting it into the case. So now I suspected the problem may very well be heat related since the MB is inverted and the NB / SB were extremely hot to the touch (speedfan shows 49C system temp). After installing one of the included heatpipe fans dirtectly above the Southhbridge (double sided tape to my lower 7900GTX 512 cooler - see pics) the system reboots fine every time, even after extended gaming sessions.My system temps are about 10C lower with this setup according to speedfan.

2. Temps reported by Asus Probe and speedfan are 10C lower than CORE TEMP

3. MB slot Layout is not as optimal as A8N-SLI

Rogue said:
Is this the same board as this:P5N32-SLI

Nope that is the nForce 590 chipset. The one he has, is based off the nForce 4 chipest. That board is not released yet. We are all anxiously waiting for the 590 to be released for Intel processors.

Lazy_Moron said:
Nope that is the nForce 590 chipset. The one he has, is based off the nForce 4 chipest. That board is not released yet. We are all anxiously waiting for the 590 to be released for Intel processors.

Thanks, I'm looking for a nForce 590 for Conroe, and I thought it might be released.

Zalman 9500AM2

can you use this on a intel chip???

I thought it was only for AMD AM2 motherboard...think this could be your problem??

In the words of dave chappelle, "THATS THE MOST BALLEST SH%T EVER!"

Must have dropped a lot on that system. All you need now is a 30" monitor.

FreakOfNature said:
In the words of dave chappelle, "THATS THE MOST BALLEST SH%T EVER!"

Must have dropped a lot on that system. All you need now is a 30" monitor.

Actually, it was "BALLINEST". But nice reference nonetheless...:)

Darkside said:
Zalman 9500AM2

can you use this on a intel chip???

I thought it was only for AMD AM2 motherboard...think this could be your problem??
The 9500AM2 only comes with the mounting hardware for S-939 and AM2 but it is the exact same design as the 9500LED so I used the Socket 775 kit from my CNPS 9500LED.

-Dave

thanks for the infomation Dave...I thought about using it in my Conroe..system :)

So are you still having issues with the system??

I was still having some post issues after a reboot when gaming for an hour or so, definitely heat related by having the MB inverted.

I'm now using a Silverstone NT06 CPU cooler with a Nexus Silent 120mm fan blowing down onto the MB. The fan on this cooler extends over the NB heatsink also and I have not had any issues with this setup.

I must say that it's a sweet looking setup you have there, I love the black on silver theme you got

Please post some pics on the new cooling you are using, I have a Silverstone TJ06 that is also similar to your setup (inverted motherboard) and I would like to see how it looks

Thanks,

M@iden

I have a couple of questions. I'm currently planning on building a whole new rig using that cpu, mobo and case.

First, how do you like the case? Was it fairly easy to set everything up inside it?

Second, what heatsink/fan combo would anyone recommend for this cpu? Along those lines, should I consider some kind of heatsink/fan combo for both the northbridge and southbridge chips seeing as you had an issue with them getting too hot?

Thanks

OP: I've got a very similar setup (see sig) with almost identical OC results. I heard you mention the beta bios, any better results with that? Also, nice setup :) I love mine!

M@iden said:
I must say that it's a sweet looking setup you have there, I love the black on silver theme you got

Please post some pics on the new cooling you are using, I have a Silverstone TJ06 that is also similar to your setup (inverted motherboard) and I would like to see how it looks

Thanks,

M@iden

Beta BIOS made no difference with my OC results....this is definitely the nicest case I have worked with - very easy to work on and the quality is outstanding.

I have not read the whole thread, but has anyone ran Quad on this board with no issues ???? Im tired of waiting for the 590s :mad:

Nice and thanks for the pics, how were your temperatures with the new cooler compared to the Zalman for both the NB and CPU? how is the noise?

Thanks,

M@iden

Dave,,your MB is the nForce 4 chipest.??
The new the nForce 5 chipest MB has the same name..or did I miss something. :confused:

Darkside said:
Dave,,your MB is the nForce 4 chipest.??
The new the nForce 5 chipest MB has the same name..or did I miss something. :confused:

The 590 will be the pn32-sli Premium his is the SE

Going a little off topic but decided it probably be better to put in here than make a whole new thread about it. Will there be a significant decrease in performance if it was SLI in 2x8 than by SLI in 2x16?

difficult to say , if there were going to be it woul using Quad

I am getting really impatient waiting for 590. When, God When?

Back