P5K-Premium: Dang AHCI

mis3

Gawd
I had a hell of a time today to install Windows-XP in my new PC (P5K-Premium, Q6600, 2x1GB OCZ memory, EVGA 8800GTS-320MB, WD7500AAKS , 2xSATA DVD-RW, P182).

I set the BIOS to AHCI and during Windows install, I used the F6 method to load in the AHCI driver (obtained from the MB CD). Dring Windows install, I got this error:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal....
then
- iastor - Address F722775A base at 7223000 Datestamp 46018619

I tried a few time and got the same error.

Then I gave up and set the BIOS to IDE and during Windows install, I got another error, something System Error.

I have 2 new hard disks. I tried WD7500AAKS first and repeated the whole routine to WD5000AAKS.

Now I don't know what to do anymore.

Anyone?
Did any of you, P5K owners, set up AHCI or Raid? Or most of you leave it to IDE (default)?

Never used a P5K but I believe my IP35Pro uses all the same chipsets. Have you tried leaving it default and installing XP without loading additional drivers? While that route may be required for RAID setups, installation on a single SATA drive should just work. If it doesn't, I'd suggest there is a fault with the board or an incompatibility (unlikely) with your WD disks.

Currently the P5K Premium is having problems when you set the HDD to other than regular IDE.

Currently the P5K Premium is having problems when you set the HDD to other than regular IDE.

Indeed and this is preventing me from running to buy this board :( There are lots of reports on XS about this.

I did not know about this problem with P5K-Premium. Too bad I did not see any thread about this problem in Hardforum.

What worse was after I tried the ACHI setting, I reverted it back to IDE and it did not work as well. One of the error messages was "The drive could be damaged". I then tried the HDD to another PC and XP-Pro was installed properly.

Maybe the BIOS was corrupted. I wonder if I did not try the ACHI setting first, would the default IDE setting work?

The IDE is broke too, there is a beta BIOS 0302 to fix IDE mode. Check the ASUS forums and have someone email it to you. Personally, I just returned the damn board.

So, If the IDE is broken as well, this means that people cannot install OS at all.

How safe is a beta version of the BIOS ?

The IDE is broke too, there is a beta BIOS 0302 to fix IDE mode. Check the ASUS forums and have someone email it to you. Personally, I just returned the damn board.

I'm using IDE without any problems.

Some CPU Power @ 3.85Ghz

if you check the Asus forum you'll see that there are reported problems with Hitachi, Samsung & WD SATA II drives & the P5K Premium currently.

I did some research in Asus forum and I learned that the Beta BIOS 302 did not solve the problem.

Nicepun: My MB is Rev-02 and BIOS is 204. How about yours? Is your MB made in China or Taiwan?

I'd like to see a screen capture of you running HD Tune.

Even though my OS installed right,with dual raptors in RAID 0 it was getting like 10MB/S instead of the 100 or so it gets with a different motherboard. Same deal with a Seagate Barracuda ES 500GB. My WD 320GB wouldn't work with the board at all.

RAID is for sure broke. I will check the the rev of my mobo and where it was made...later on.

p5K Deluxe Wifi-AP doesn't seem to suffer from this (at least not mine).

I feel sorry for you guys. Hope you get some resolution.

this is such bs. i recommended the p5k-premium for a friend and just encountered this slow error. it is completely ridiculous that asus would release a motherboard that doesnt even run a freaking hard drive. my mobo came with an even earlier version of the bios 1xxx and just using a single sata drive in sata 1 port. transferring any sort of file goes at a snail's pace.

I did some research in Asus forum and I learned that the Beta BIOS 302 did not solve the problem.

Nicepun: My MB is Rev-02 and BIOS is 204. How about yours? Is your MB made in China or Taiwan?

Rev 2.00G made in Taiwan. I use Enhanced - IDE for the HDDs.

Some said in the Asus forum that those made in Taiwan were better.

Asus has a new program you can DL from their site that allows you to make a raid driver disc which addresses these issues. It replaces the one on the shipping drivers disc.

It's not the Raid or AHCI.

The MB does not work even with the SATA default setting: IDE. In this mode, no addiitonal driver is required for XP Installaiton.

I just made my systems using with the p5k-premium motherboard and I got the Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal problem and a different blue screen when trying to install XP. What worked for me was setting the memory timings manually and its been stable since then. Seems that the system didn't like the auto settings. Maybe it'll work for you too.

I have the same error - Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal but do you get this one on the same blue screen: iastor - Address F722775A base at 7223000 Datestamp 46018619 ?

Good for yo to get this working. Did you set the SATA setting to IDE (default), AHCI or Raid? Also, how did you come up with the idea to fix this by manually setting memory timings? These 2 seem so independent to each other.

sorry for late reply, been camping the last few days. I set the timings manually because research on the net for the blue screens i got said that it might be a memory problem. Memtest86 showed that there were a few errors with both sticks in, but by themselves they were fine. So I set the timings manually and memtest ran overnight with no errors. I'm using enhanced IDE mode though. I don't remember what else the blue screen said other than the words at the top.

Back