P5K boards - how to flash BIOS to work with 1333fsb CPUs?

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
I'm thinking of getting either the P5K-VM or P5K-E, but according to Newegg reviews, they aren't shipping with the latest BIOS, which means I'm going to have to flash it before I can even use anything.

I don't want to buy a floppy drive...is there any way to do this with a USB memory stick? Can someone tell me how it's done?

It's a P35 based board. It already has 1333 FSB support from the beginning.

I flashed my p5k* with a USB memory stick. My new bios were too big for a floppy anyway. I just used the utility in the bios to do it. It was the first thing I did when powering up my new build. Everything worked perfectly. No better way to do it imo.

Bona Fide,

I just bought a P5K-Deluxe and it came with the first BIOS release (0202). It worked with my E6750, but on every boot it gave me an "bad CPU ucrocode error".

I download the new BIOS - 0404 from the (crappy) Asus site and used the E-Z Flash utility on the bios itself. I placed the bios on the C: harddrive and navigated to it using the utility. The flash was ok and the board booted with the new 0404 bios and correctly recognized the CPU and the error message was gone.

As 1361 pointed out, the bios is too big for a floppy anyway.

Asus Easy flash works great, just enter bios Tools Menu & run from there.

Bios files vcan be on:-
1) a usb stick is fine to use as long as it's formatted to fat.
I2) use the above but also have a small (1GB) Fat partition on a HD which also works

I also use the above drives to hold OC Profiles.

just dont update bios thru windows, works for most but plenty who end up with bad chips.;)

just dont update bios thru windows, works for most but plenty who end up with bad chips.;)

I've never had a problem updating through Windows on Asus' newer boards (P5W for example). Just download the file to HDD first, then flash...no Internet update nonsense.

Back