P5B Vanilla, Stuck at 320

Santroph

Limp Gawd
FOUND THE PROBLEM, SIMPLE ONE, read in the second page ;)
Thanks

Hi, i have bought a new combo, a value one for USA guy budget but a great one for a brazilian budget. ;)
I'm having some problems with the MOBO, i wanna know if someone can help me.

First let me tell you my hardware.
OCZ pro DDR2 667 2GB kit (2x1GB)
Conroe E6400 B1 stepping
2x250GB Samsung SATA 2 HD
ATI X1900AIW
Asus P5B (vanilla)

Currently, i'm using the 0509 BIOS from asus site, I just installed the system yesterday and decided to use the newest BIOS I could find there, supposing it was the more matture one.

I'm having some problems with the overclocking, I can't pass 320FSB, no matter what I do.
I know that it is not my memory, it can do DDR2 800 easily even on this mobo (when I use 266 FSB i set the memo to 800 and using 320 i can set it to 800 too in the 2:3 mode, and everything is totally stable).
It is not the proc too, since I have lowered the multiplyer of it to 6, and even in slower than stock speed, i can't boot over 320 FSB.
I imagine that lowering the mult, even if the proc was horrible in OC (wich is not) i would at least be able to reach the 2.56 again (wich is the speed I get with the 320 x 8 speed.)
When the overclock goes bad, I have two options:
Clear Cmos, wich is a pain in the ass, as I have to set the whole BIOS again. or
Power down the pc (holding 4 sec the power button) and than take off the power cord from the Power Supply, and waity for the mobo to turn off the power led. than plug again the cord. This way the bios settings are there, and the pc turn on again with the default stock speed, without loosing any changes.

I'm not as good in the asus bios as I was with my ABIT one, I can do WHATEVER i want with the BIOS settings, raising voltages, of everything, lowering them, putting them in AUTO, everything. But it never change the result, 320 tops.
I can get 320 with EVERYTHING in AUTO, really stable. Changing the other things like voltage and stuff, haven't done anything to help me. Not that i know.
The memory is so good that it runs at 800 with 1.8v. It could reach 850 with only 1,9 and get stable.
I really think the problem is in the MOBO anyone has any suggestion?

Any help would be appreciated guys.
I'm not a newbie in Overclocking, had several good boards before this one, and hope this is just some silly thing I forgot. If it is not.... I miss the Ai7 already :(

P.S: Is this sound just a AC97 too? WTF happened with the azalia that every new intel MOBO would come with REAL and I mean REAL HD AUDIO.
I can't do any kind of Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect with this mobo, even thought in the site they don't differ this sound from the DELUXE one, i'm really pissed off with this sound. Why spend $190 on a board and have SHITTY sound?
Does anyone know if i can do dolby digital live with this one, every other MOBO in this price range does it.

Thanks.

I dont have that board so all I can do is generalize.

put a fan on the northbridge even better take off the NB heatsink and reapply AS5 or simular, reinstall with hardware (screw, washer nut) and carefully tighten evenly. Be sure to use a fibre or plasitc washer under the head of the screw on the back of the mother board and dont over tighten and crush the board, Smartly snug is good. and put a fan on it.

you should be running that memory at 2.0V all the time 2.1V wont hurt it either. However I cant find the specs on OCZ pro on newegg.com and dont know the default voltage. No modern memory would be hurt by 2.0V and most need the extra juice for overclocking.
I could find out for sure if you gave the complete model number. Cpu-z would give you that I think.

I still think its memory/memory timiing, have you run memtest

BillParrish said:
I dont have that board so all I can do is generalize.

put a fan on the northbridge even better take off the NB heatsink and reapply AS5 or simular, reinstall with hardware (screw, washer nut) and carefully tighten evenly. Be sure to use a fibre or plasitc washer under the head of the screw on the back of the mother board and dont over tighten and crush the board, Smartly snug is good. and put a fan on it.

you should be running that memory at 2.0V all the time 2.1V wont hurt it either. However I cant find the specs on OCZ pro on newegg.com and dont know the default voltage. No modern memory would be hurt by 2.0V and most need the extra juice for overclocking.
I could find out for sure if you gave the complete model number. Cpu-z would give you that I think.

I still think its memory/memory timiing, have you run memtest

I don't think it is the NB heatsink, it's not even warm to the touch.
About the mem, even running it to 1:1 it can't do 667 (333fsb) so it's not the memory I'm confident about it. the default voltage is 1.8.
Stil thinking about what it is....

Set your RAM timings to this: 4-4-4-12-4-42-3-10-5-13. Then set your FSB frequency to 405 MHz and see if it will post.

I had issues with the 0309 BIOS and couldn't get past 329 MHz FSB stable. With the 0509 BIOS, I'm now hitting 375 MHz with my cheap Corsair value select RAM. I had to loosen my timings a bit to get there, though. I'm still working on getting it stable, but it does post and gets into Windows fine.

dark_reign said:
Set your RAM timings to this: 4-4-4-12-4-42-3-10-5-13. Then set your FSB frequency to 405 MHz and see if it will post.

I had issues with the 0309 BIOS and couldn't get past 329 MHz FSB stable. With the 0509 BIOS, I'm now hitting 375 MHz with my cheap Corsair value select RAM. I had to loosen my timings a bit to get there, though. I'm still working on getting it stable, but it does post and gets into Windows fine.

Hum, this would still need to be the memory fault right?
I have loosened the timings more than once, even trying to use 6-6-6-15.....
The memory in the default use of the proc, can run 800@ 4-4-4-12 fine.
As I sayd I don't think it is the memory the problem, even with 1:1 causing the memory to be 666 at FSB 333, it doesn't even post. It makes those two "shutdowns" and when it goes up again it doesn't even beep.

I'll try to see your timings when I get home, but I doubt they will help....
UNLESS this is a MOBO problems with loose timings :S

Any other ideas?
How bout the voltage in the NB, this mobo doesn't appear to have it, the Deluxe has, but not this mobo, where can I up the voltage of the NB?

Thanks

I have the same mobo and an e6600 and I have similar problems. I can post and get into windows at 333 but sometimes it freezes and prime fails quickly. The highest I can get stable is 318 or 320.

This mobo is a peice... It doesn't like certain configurations. You must configure it with the correct stuff or it'll go nuts on you.

I can get mine pretty high because I got shit my mobo likes >_>

00ber_m00 said:
I have the same mobo and an e6600 and I have similar problems. I can post and get into windows at 333 but sometimes it freezes and prime fails quickly. The highest I can get stable is 318 or 320.

Which BIOS are u using?
Have you used another one with the same problems?

Have you tryed to use other multiplier? A lower one? To see if the problem is on the proc?

BTW, the mobo doesn't like it if you overclock more then 1 item...

I can overclock the video card, I can overclock the cpu, but if I have the cpu overclocked and attempt to overclock the gpu... bsods, etc.

If you have the video card overclock, put it at default settings and overclock the conroe. Just from going up 300 mhz my fps went up 40 in oblivion......

I am using the latest BIOS, 509 and I have not tried lowering the multiplier. I have not been able to break this barrier with any of the BIOS revisions.

00ber_m00 said:
I am using the latest BIOS, 509 and I have not tried lowering the multiplier. I have not been able to break this barrier with any of the BIOS revisions.

Try to lower your multiplier and see if you can raise your FSB.
If you can, it will not be the same problem as mine, it would be that your proc can't go any higher (which I doubt). If you still can't go any higher in FSB, so you have the same problem.

I don't think this is something too dificult to solve, I didn't knew about anyone not going high in this mobo.
I heard about problems of no post, and things like that, but the new BIOSs solved that, and after that I saw everyone happy, except me :(

Another strange thing, my temps go skyhigh, I knoew this mobo tells the tempshigher than they are, but....
I get, 45 idle and as high as 80 in full dual prime95.
And even in 80c the heat sink is cold to the touch! :(

Use coretemp to monitor temps with the p5b vanilla. Everything else I've tried has given wildly innacurate temps, even the bundles ASUS software. I will try lowering the multiplier after I get off work.

Just from going up 300 mhz my fps went up 40 in oblivion......

are you playing in 640 480? How is that possible?

PS, mobo overclocking should have 0 effect on your GPU overclock. Have you put the PCIe lock on?

Arcygenical said:
are you playing in 640 480? How is that possible?

PS, mobo overclocking should have 0 effect on your GPU overclock. Have you put the PCIe lock on?

I didn't even considered the idea :p

If the question was for me, no... i didn't, used lock on PCIe, my mobo doesn't show this option, it only have the PCI lock, for 33.......
I used locked and unlocked, and didn't worked.

Playing at 1680x1050. Fully modded oblivion was getting 20-30 fps. Boosted it by 300 mhz (conroe) and oblivion now runs at 60 fps. FULLY MODDED. I'm as confused as you.

I think my pc is playing tricks with me BTW lol. I can play GRAW at 100 fps and oblivion at 60 (vsnyc), but as soon as I try to play an older game like fable, it runs at 25 fps in big areas. No joke.

Santroph said:
Hum, this would still need to be the memory fault right?
I have loosened the timings more than once, even trying to use 6-6-6-15.....
The memory in the default use of the proc, can run 800@ 4-4-4-12 fine.
As I sayd I don't think it is the memory the problem, even with 1:1 causing the memory to be 666 at FSB 333, it doesn't even post. It makes those two "shutdowns" and when it goes up again it doesn't even beep.

I'll try to see your timings when I get home, but I doubt they will help....
UNLESS this is a MOBO problems with loose timings :S

Any other ideas?
How bout the voltage in the NB, this mobo doesn't appear to have it, the Deluxe has, but not this mobo, where can I up the voltage of the NB?

Thanks

I got these timings from a guy over at XtremeSystems. They worked for another guy here and they certainly work for me. I can set my timings to 5-5-5-12 and boot at 375 FSB also.

I've turned Spread Spectrum off in the BIOS as well as all of the stuff on the CPU config page,

lock the PCI dividers to 33mhz... PCI-E to 100, 103 or 105..

Raise the North bridge to .1 or .2

Change memory timings...

try different bios if all fails

Marvelous said:
lock the PCI dividers to 33mhz... PCI-E to 100, 103 or 105..

Raise the North bridge to .1 or .2

Change memory timings...

try different bios if all fails

You probably wont believe, but I have tryed most of those things already, i'll try an older bios :(

Quick question, why is it not the memory when the memory CAN NOT run at spec speeds? Doesn't that say something? Not saying it is but any enlightenment would be helpful!

BinaryApe said:
Quick question, why is it not the memory when the memory CAN NOT run at spec speeds? Doesn't that say something? Not saying it is but any enlightenment would be helpful!

Didn't undertood what you sayd about spec speed, I sayd it could run OVER, WAY OVER the stock speeds, they are DDR2 667 and are now at 800 with 4-4-4-12-4 timings.

Well to the point again, i HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM.

And i'm sorry for all of those messages but the problem was simple.
Vanderpool technology should be disabled.....

After that, i could easily go to 450 FSB, yes 450 with easy....
I'm now at 400 for a 24/7 config

Sorry, but since i'm new to the oc of conroe, i didn't knew about that. (i think everyone is new to it, but some people have those things in bios for some time.)

To the other guy also stuck at 320, try it too ;)

Thanks to everyone.

Actually you said twice it was running at 666 (333 FSB 1:1 (2:1) ) speed. That would be stock specified speed. Or am I mistaken in seeing the numbers. Doesn't matter anyhoo. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Great you got your problem solved... but I have a question...

What setting is Virtualization under? What's it called on the Asus board?

How did you disable vanderpool technology? I have BIOS 0509 and it will not let me change that option.

I have this issue on the p5b wifi board, but mine actually does 321 and stops there. Have had vander disabled from the getgo. Have a p5b-e I am going to try just for the heck of it - this is with the 6600 chip.

jamiewa said:
Nah actually you didn't solve the problem.

Here is why this happens:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191563

:cool: this is a very interesting link about the core 2 and how the straps work on a 965p mb--some interesting ideas there too --may be an explanation on why the 6300& 6400s in some MB's can just jump to 400+ without a problem due to the NB strap . my giga s-3 booted right up @ 450fsb and seems rock stable --i didn't even try to work my up from 300. but i bet i would run out of strap around 350-360. sort of like the NB has to change a gear--lol

what would be interesting would be to run a 975x a 965p and a 945p and just start out @ 450fsb on a 6300 and see what they would do ? wouldn't it be funny if a gigabyte 945p could do 450fsb ? it might be able to if it has the proper strap !

like the dude said the 6300 is looking better all the time !

Finally got this fixed with the beta bios that was just released. Flashed, rebooted, set to 325, worked. Running at 400 now, will have to test more later, but now I have a spare board lying here =]

JSF35rhino said:
:cool: this is a very interesting link about the core 2 and how the straps work on a 965p mb--some interesting ideas there too --may be an explanation on why the 6300& 6400s in some MB's can just jump to 400+ without a problem due to the NB strap . my giga s-3 booted right up @ 450fsb and seems rock stable --i didn't even try to work my up from 300. but i bet i would run out of strap around 350-360. sort of like the NB has to change a gear--lol

what would be interesting would be to run a 975x a 965p and a 945p and just start out @ 450fsb on a 6300 and see what they would do ? wouldn't it be funny if a gigabyte 945p could do 450fsb ? it might be able to if it has the proper strap !

like the dude said the 6300 is looking better all the time !

hey ive read that but im not really understand what a "STRAP" is. some one clarify?

Hi guysm I'm sorry, I didn't looked at this thread since the problem was solved fro me, but here are the answer someone was asking earlyer.
To disable vanderpool technology, simply go to CPU parameters and where it shows CPU disable bit, vanderpool technology and stuff, way below under the page, you choose the vanderpool click enter and disable it, for me it is a setting like every other.
I'm already using now the new BIOS released today 0701 and I did have to upper the voltage of my memory from 1.9 to 2.0 with this bios, other than that it is the same stuff.

I would use this post to also ask you guys about vista and this board.
This new BIOS does give us a option of the audio having a VISTA STILE HD AUDIO.
and a NO VISTA HD audio.
I think this would give us the possibility if use a DDlive option to work, but even with that I can't use DDlive under vista, it shows as supported under the configs but doesn't work.
Since this is mainly a software thing, and AC3Encoder can do it, doesn anyone know how to make it work?

Thanks guys.

Back