P5B > DS3 Swap - Worth it?

Andhar

Console Gamerz Rulez
I am considering swapping my P5B w/ P4D 805 to a DS3 w/ Q6600 is it worth the trouble & $ to change the board or should i simply swap the cpu???

if you mean P5B-E you need latest bios in order to run Q6600 on that board.

I cant remember what i elieve 1202:?? Check asus.com and search for the latest bios.

Im sure it will indicate there "newer cpu support"

Nope not the P5B-E just the plain ol P5B and BTW I meant the 965-DS3 not the P35

The reason I am considering the switch is because the P5B overclocks like ********* so I wanted to just get a new board/chip/ram and rebuild the system.

Why would you get a non-P35 board now? The lower end Abit P35s are only a little over $100.

However, if you don't want a P35 grab a 650i Ultra based board. Overclocks well, will support the chip, not very expensive.

If you want a Q6600, I'd get that and see what it does on your board before you shell out another $100 for a new motherboard. I'd go with a P35 board personally, but I have a 650i Ultra board here to play around with, so maybe my mind will be changed ;).

I would get the cpu first and see what it does in the p5b.
It could just be a perfect match.:)

I agree, try the CPU first. I thought there was a BIOS update for the P5B vanilla so it can OC better?

thx guys I may just do that gotta wait for the egg to stop the price gouging tho.:mad:

no matter where i look the prices arent what they are supposed to be, so no q for me yet. thanks tho guys.

no matter where i look the prices arent what they are supposed to be, so no q for me yet. thanks tho guys.

The price is $266 for the Q6600's, you just need to by 1000 of them to get that per-unit price. Did you really think stores would sell the CPU for no profit? The price for the Q6600 starts from $275+, IIRC. The only time you'll see lower prices is when Intel or the distributor gives the stores lower prices, or if the stores can recoup the money elsewhere.

Back