P5B Deluxe VS DS3

maverick786us

2[H]4U
After going through numerous threads and Conroe Over Clocking database, Its pretty clear that these 2 are the world's best Mobos for overclocking. But out of these 2 which one is better?

P5B Deluxe WiFi costs 193$ and DS3 cost 113$ what is exact different which makes former mobo 80$ more expensive than later? Is it really worth to spend that much extra amount on the former one?

I could be wrong but I think its more appropriate to compare P5B Deluxe to Gigabyte DQ6, not DS3, and from what I know, many extreme overclockers prefer the Deluxe.

I could be wrong but I think its more appropriate to compare P5B Deluxe to Gigabyte DQ6, not DS3, and from what I know, many extreme overclockers prefer the Deluxe.

But if you take a look at this

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1138241

Core 2 Official Over Clocking Database you will find best results these 2 Mobos only. Although Intel 975XBX2 is also good for overclocking, but it will cost 100 bucks extra.

That database is a little dated. there are still some posts but the database itself reflects what was available around December of course those are even more stable now.

If you want someone to say, get the L337 DS3 cause it rocks dude, sorry.

IMO if using a conroe with a low mulitplier 6300 6400 you want a P965 board and with higher mulitplier cpus its not so critical.

See this too.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1106040

Now based on SLI or no SLI you can trim the chipsets down to a couple and look at the popular boards with those chipsets. Features is the main difference. The DS3 is a great OCing borad but it did not have Intel raid which I wanted so the DQ6 was my choice.

Asus Commando might be my choice today, or a 680i (but I like intel chips on intel chipsets, if these cpus were AMD I would be looking at Nvidia very hard) find a board with everything thing on it , then go thru its list of features and write down the things you must have, would like and be willing to pay money for, and a smaller little list of features under a "that would be nice catagory" and find boards of the chipset type that meet those critera.

Proper board prep (Artic silver under the heatpipe, NB fan, ) a good HS/fan and you should get 3.2GHz with a4300 or 6400 and decent pc6400(800MHz) memory with about any board out there of the enthusiat class.

Or just buy a DS3- got a present in the works for DS3 people,
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

I highly recommend the Asus P5B Deluxe. I had my core 2 duo E6600 to 3.6Ghz stable. I have had no problems with this board at all. This is even my first build and I had no trouble getting everything working.

I have the DS3 and can barely overclock at all due to cold boot issues. A lot of others are experiencing it too. I would go for the P5B.

Just remember that when you pick up a P5B Deluxe to purchase a sound card as well. All those horror stories about crappy SoundMax on board sound are TRUE! I installed the latest available drivers, again, and it still has problems.

In went an old Audigy2 card and I said good-bye to the snap-crackle-pop of the Asus P5B / SoundMax solution. I was able to install the Audigy2 drivers without needing all of the Creative bloatware. The bass has returned, the crackling is gone and I'm happy at last.

Next problem. The Zalman VF-700Cu fan on my graphics card completely blocks one PCI slot and the required add on sound card takes up another slot which only leaves one free but it's so damn close to the Zalman cooler on my graphics card that if I did use it, airflow and cooling would be screwed up.

Almost forgot about the on board wifi. It seems to lose the Gateway IP address once in a while and the only way to get it working properly is to re-install the drivers. I wouldn't mind using my D-Link PCI wifi card but with no PCI slots available, I'm kind of screwed.

Very disappointed with Asus releasing a shoddy product but it overclocks like crazy so what the hell, I guess I'll keep it! :D

Edit: The DS3 I built for a friend was stable as a rock, trouble free and ran an E6300 at 472 X 7 ~ 3300 MHz with barely more than default CPU voltage. With good memory and maybe a fan for the scalding hot northbridge, it probably would have went higher.

You could also try the P5B-E...kind of a no frills version of the P5B Deluxe. Some good OC's with that board too and more in the price range of the DS3.

If you want the Asus P5B Deluxe /WiFi:AP edition, buy it off my hands for $170.00 shipped. It's barely two weeks old. I only sell it because I want an EVGA 680i, otherwise, I wouldn't dare to even think about selling it. It's trouble-free the first I got it. (See my For Sale ad).

Back