P4C m0 and bent pins??

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased a m0 stepping p4c 2.8 and when it arrived there were bent pins. Now im in the clear with the shipper and im covered thru insurance if it was damaged (took pictures before of the pins ect) and im wondering, if i VERY CAREFULLY move the pins back (there are none that are folded or broken, just a little out of place) and it goes into the socket fine, what are the chances that everything is ok?

I have a shuttle sb61g2 and ive not powered it on yet, but i know that i can get it to go into the socket if i move just a few pins. Ideas, links to similar problems, anything is helpful. Also im looking for quick responses :D

-Matt

use the tube from a mechanical pencils, I think the .5mm size. Should fit right over the pin, and allow you to straighten it better than your finger.

Id be using a magnifiying setup with micro precision tools. i mainly want to know whether or not as long as the chip fits the socket if it is safe to put everything in to see if it posts, i dont wanna fry my ram or shuttle board.

I would RMA it. It may work by straightening, but why risk the chance of it crapping out 2 weeks later?

Originally posted by stumpy
I would RMA it. It may work by straightening, but why risk the chance of it crapping out 2 weeks later?
because the only thing wrong with it is a bent pin, which doesn't affect the operation of the processor in any way whatsoever?

I have (stupidly) opened the Intel packaging so that the proc flew out and bent about 5 pins. I brought out my very small tweezers, bent the pins back, and the processor fit into the socket like new. It's chugging along now over 4 months later.

i took an old pentium that got rolled over by a wheelie chair, and about a third of them were bent and a couple were even flat on the surface of the ceramic.... i took a knife and about an hour, and straightened them out.... and two were even missing... posted fine... now runs red hat for about a month

so assuming that nothing was touched but the pins, is it safe to say that if it posts, and is only moderatly OCd that it should be fine? What would be a good ammount of time to prime95 the chip?

eh, torture test it for 5 hrs or so and that should be fine, or leave it on over night and u will possibly get an error eventually.

ok if its prime stable overnight ill not worry about it. but is there anything that could cause my shit to fry, thats what im most worried about.

Originally posted by jagec
use the tube from a mechanical pencils, I think the .5mm size. Should fit right over the pin, and allow you to straighten it better than your finger.
Kyle posted this sometime ago, and it works like the b0mB. 0.5mm Pentel.....recommended.
I have (stupidly) opened the Intel packaging so that the proc flew out and bent about 5 pins.
....I thought I was the only one that did that....:eek: Damn; first 3.06 I opened took a trip across B.B.S. labs at about a thousand miles an hour, right up to the point where it hit the wall.....:rolleyes: Straightened the pins, poured a double, hit the button....and it booted right up and is kickin' just fine, to this day.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

well tomorrow will be the test, ill post back with results, now that i have the confidence to try it.

uhh there just pins... the contact patch on the inside of the socket is acctually quite large... if the pin goes in the whole.. it makes contact (with the lever thrown)... that simple... if it isnt going to fit correctly you wont be able to throw the lever on the socket, unless the pin is bent flat of course.. but then you know you have trouble...

good luck i suppose...

thore

Back