P4 Prescott 2.8E temps

Everett

n00b
Hye guys I bought a prescott 2.8e a couple months ago and have used it on an Asus P4P800 se and the temps i have been getting seem to be way below average for prescotts. I am using stock intel cooling and it idles around 30C - 35C and under loads i have never seen it go above 47C. I've checked the temps with a few different programs like Asus probe, and in the bios so i think they are being read accurately since they all seem to be giving the same temps. I havent tried to overclock it yet because i only have a stock cooler but am thinking about it because of these low temps. give me some feedback on whether these temps are strange or not, or post some prescott temps if you've got one. thanks

compared to my prescott that is very low

using stock cooling on my 2.8 even with artic silver 5 would idle ~42 and go up to ~50 granted that was overclocked but stock voltage

Papa-Ming said:
Ok, I'll try:
@ 250FSB
http://www.imagelink.org/id4958.jpg
@270FSB
http://www.imagelink.org/id5649.jpg
@ mild 10% OC:
http://www.imagelink.org/id4883.jpg

I bought mine late in the year. And I use the Asus Probe as do you, not far off from MBM really. Niether one are accurate, but you get an indication: if you don't feel like being in the box.
If I overclock; 250FSB is the norm, since it just does great for me and use for all occasions. HT enabled, memory@1:1
The 270FSB, I did as an experiment for about 13 hours before I took the screenshot. It will do higher, but whatever, it doesn't matter.

what kind of cooling are you using? and what heatsink do you have on the cpu im looking to get a better one for some overclocking?

Those are VERY GOOD temps. My prescott runs at 40'c and under loads can get up to 60'c. When it's warmer in my room 80-85'f then the idle bumps up to about 50'C with a 60'C+ load temp. They get HOT. Mine is going to be a heater this winter lol.

Luck.exe said:
Those are VERY GOOD temps. My prescott runs at 40'c and under loads can get up to 60'c. When it's warmer in my room 80-85'f then the idle bumps up to about 50'C with a 60'C+ load temp. They get HOT. Mine is going to be a heater this winter lol.

My p4e machine is in an un-air conditioned room which is usually around 80-90 degrees in the summer. Playing Doom III and benchmarking all day on Thursday, under load the machine never got above 122F (roughly 50C) and usually was around 118F. It's running with the Intel HSF which came with it, on an Intel 865GBF. The case is an Antec P160 with only one 120mm case fan.

I just picked one up yesterday for a new server, 2.8 prescott/MSI board
126F on temp via the BIOS. As I am not running windows but FreeBSD, those programs do me no good.

Mind you, retail fan/heatsink, side of the case open and no fans in the case, I hope this thing will cool down if i add 8 more 80mm fans to the case and seal the box.

I dont know much on PC parts, as I am an Apple guy, it was just more cost effective to buy PC parts than another Apple for this server.

I have 9 case fans(7 case fans, 2psu fans) and I have pretty good cooling or so I think. I have a TT Volcano 7+ and seems to be running the PCU about 2'c cooler than the stock unit. Only problem is that I get the same temps with or without OC'ing. I am only oc'ing 300mhz, not like it will really help, but it helps the bottleneck on my gfx card (x800pro). I need to find something to cool this machine down. I am really researching water cooling, but i need a good setup, I think I will need 2 radiators and such, but that's OT lol. Anyway as I said, those are good temps, I don't know why my motherboard reports such high temps, but that's all I have to go by, no laser thermometers or anything like that for me, and my "Hardcano" thermal sensor won't fit under the 478 pin P4's.

isn't Asus boards's temperatures usually 10 degrees lower then actual? or is that only P4C800-E's

Papa-Ming said:
Ok, I'll try:
@ 250FSB
http://www.imagelink.org/id4958.jpg
@270FSB
http://www.imagelink.org/id5649.jpg
@ mild 10% OC:
http://www.imagelink.org/id4883.jpg

I bought mine late in the year. And I use the Asus Probe as do you, not far off from MBM really. Niether one are accurate, but you get an indication: if you don't feel like being in the box.
If I overclock; 250FSB is the norm, since it just does great for me and use for all occasions. HT enabled, memory@1:1
The 270FSB, I did as an experiment for about 13 hours before I took the screenshot. It will do higher, but whatever, it doesn't matter.

Papa-Ming, is this cpu on a 478 socket? What type of cooling are you using? Also, is the 270FSB overclock stable?

Yeah I have a Thermaltake XaserIII Tower with 7 case fans and 2 psu fans. It's a big case with a lot of room. I don't understand why i have such a high temp, but I do. It could be my ASUS P4P800SE just isn't reporting the correct temperature, but I have no idea.

Papa-Ming said:
Sorry KSL, I didn't see this right off the bat.

Yes, socket 478 Prescott. I've noted the HSF in another answer here. 270FSB is quite stable @ the 1.6 vcore posted for everything but gaming. For that it needs 1.7v. I do not run this processor at this speed! I'm not comfortable with Prescott @ vcores like this! I'm only comfortable with the vcore @1.4 or below, and I get a good enough clock with it there. I simply did the test for the purpose of answering the temp. poll in this thread.

:)

No problem...don't need to be sorry :)

Anyway thanks for the info. I am planning to build a new computer soon, so I just needed to do some research. BTW, what is your CPU running at right now since the vcore is kept quite low.

My 2.8 Prescott idles at 55 and up to 64 under load. Really never see it drop below 55. Stock HS/Fan, Artic Silver, 2 120mm fans (1 in, 1 out), Antec mini tower, ABIT IC7-G MAXII Advance. It's in a cubby so that's probably keeping it up.

So what temp range is TOO hot for Prescotts?

I'm running a P4/3.06 Northwood on an Intel D845PEBT2 mobo and idle, the cpu hangs between 36c & 43c, depending on room temp. When I'm crunching video via DivX, it hits a high of 60c. All of this is with a stock Intel heatsink & fan.

I also have the Asus p4p800se mobo and the 2.8e "prescott" pentium 4.
My temps at idle are 37-40C and my load temps at peak at 58C. This is with the chip overclocked to 3.5gHz with stock cooling. When I run it at stock speeds, load temps never go higher than 55C.

I started a tread on OC forums about the temperatures at which prescotts start throttling themselves. It might have some info for those interested:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=318884

I use the program Clockgen to adjust my FSB in realtime. Makes for much easier adjustments. I've created batch files that underclock my CPU to 1.4gHz when I'm not using it, set it back to stock speeds, and one that overclocks as high as my ram will allow for when I'm gaming. I don't know how I overclocked without it berfore. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure:
http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

Papa Ming... with those temps, I'm assuming you have some sort of watercooled setup, or keep your PC in your beerfridge.

edit

I just went back and realized you're also using the p4p800se. What is the beta bios that you spoke of? I'm still using BIOS revision 1001.

I'm using the Antec Sonata, with a single exhaust fan.

The exhaust fan is ultra quiet even when running at max speed, so I give it a normal molex as opposed to the "fan only" ones. I leave Q-fan control on for the CPU because my computer makes less than a whisper when I'm running it at 1.4gHz, and am relatively idle.

Oh and thanks a lot, now I have to buy one of these:
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/cl-p0024tower112/cl-p0024tower112.htm

Papa-Ming said:
69C is the maximum threshold, safely, for Prescott according to Intel.

You' re likely ok though. Try MBM5 to monitor if you're not already. It's at least better then the Abit software for that.

Can you take it out of the cubby? Because your case and fans are just fine. You're fine.

What do you have your vcore in bios set to?? Can you get in there and lower that to 1.375?

Thanks for the threshold info. I'm using Sandra to monitor, but will try MBM5 as well. The Abit software appears to read about 5-7 degrees hotter than actual (assuming Sandra is accurate).

I can't really take it out of the cubby which really sucks, so I'm not sure what I can do there other than mod the case for another fan, which won't help much since the surrounding air is hot or drilling some vents in the back of the cubby so it can use fresh air from behind the desk. I think I'm going to try the HS/fan combo posted above to see if that cools things down so I can prepare for OCing it just a bit.

Can't even find vcore in BIOS but did find another core option that I couldn't modify (which I can't remember the name of right now and I'm on my work PC).

Thanks for all the replies guys, it seems that it might just be luck of the draw whether the prescott idles at 50C or 30C. I've checked around on the net and have found many of these crazy 10 - 20C idle temps differences so i dont think it is solely dependant on the cooling situation. But i think that from now on we should all post some details about the cooling situation that we have in our cases so we can see if it does make a big difference. Also i was reading one of the [H]ardocp reviews of the prescott from back in february which said that the heating problems with prescott might be related to the motherboard. i found that interesting because it seems the ones of us who use the Asus P4P800 SE like myself are averaging lower temps. In that same review it said something about msi boards not being able to adjust the vcore in order to keep the cpu cool, now that was back in february so its probably been fixed by now, but this might be your problem usernameo1. you might want to try updating the bios.

some more detailed specs of my cooling:
intake - 1 120mm, 1 80 mm
exhaust - 3 80 mm fans and the 80 mm power supply fan
cpu - stock intel cooler with arctic silver ceramique
case - raidmax storm midtower

Posting in this thread rather than starting my own :)

I just built a socket 775 based system, with the Pentium 4 540 (Prescott at 3.2 Ghz). Case is an Antec P160, with the stock 120mm fan installed in the rear and a Vantec Stealth 120mm fan in the front fan slot. The Abit EQ temp monitor software is reporting CPU idle in the 50ish C range, and under load (Doom 3) it peaked at about 77 C before dropping down a little to mid 60s (guessing the fan spun up a bit and took a while for the heat sink to pull up the heat or something). Granted, it was a warm weekend, but I'm a bit concerned about the peak temp so looking for a non-stock solution. Checking multiple sites, the only Socket 775 coolers I found listed were:

Thermaltake Jungle 512
Thermaltake 4 in 1 tower

Anyone have experience with the former? I couldn't find any reviews on it. The tower seems to be a decent option, but I'm a bit leery of installing it, since the motherboard is in a vertical position during use; it just seems that htat huge block would be a bit fragile in that positin.

i'm idling at 58C and I dont know how to bring it down. I'm using stock cooling with AS3. Any suggestions as to how to bring it down. The case temp is 35C but even at night when it is 28C the cpu still idles around there.

Also, any suggestions to a nice HSF combo that won't be a jet taking off, or even with adjustable fan? Not to expensive either

my processor coe is SL7KA philipines
I just reapplied some AS3 and well, i got no drop in temp still at 56C now

hey Khaotica what mobo and case do you have? read through our previous posts and see if any of that applies to you

My temp issues with this 2.8E Prescott are getting out of control.

I just removed the stock heatsink and fan. Cleaned off the existing AS5 with a q-tip and 70% rubbing alcohol. Let dry, spread a thin, fresh coat of AS5 on the chip with a CC and installed this with a 92mm Vantec stealth:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-08.html

My temps with the stock HS/Fan: 54-56 idle/64-67 load
My temps with the Thermalright: 57-59 idle/70+ load (I have my MB alert set to 70 and it activated while playing Doom 3)

I did install a 6800 GT as well but the case temps haven't gone up that much. I've got 2 120mm fans (1 in 1 out). I don't even know what to do at this point. This makes absolutely no sense at all and I'm passed the 1 week period I get to return the fucker.

Thanks for the help Papa. Things seems to be getting a bit better with the AS5. We'll see how it does over the next week as it sets. I'm using both the MMB5 monitor and Abit monitor. I have the warning set to 75 now for both. The Abit actually reads just a few degrees higher than the MMB5 so I guess I don't have one of the really whacky boards that read extremely high.

Next up is to vent the hell out of the cubby, vent the front of the case for more intake, and install this spare 120mm I have laying around in the side panel to blow directly on the 6800. Hopefully that will get me to a more reasonable temp range.

Now if I could only get Doom 3 to run decently with this hardware I'd feel like it was worth all this trouble, but it's choppy as all hell even pulling 60+ FPS rates.

Back