P4 Overclocked To 8GHz

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nordic Hardware is saying that the OC Team Italy has taken a Pentium 4 631 and, with the help of volt mods and LN2, hit the 8GHz mark.

OC Team Italy had unpacked it golden Pentium 4 631 to throw some liquid nitrogen on it. With a non-modified ASUS P5B motherboard they managed to reach a whopping 7520MHz, but pointed out that the motherboard made it impossible to go any further. Now that they have once again mounted the copper pipe and made the necessary voltage modifications, the liquid nitrogen once again did its thing and made it possible for them to finally reach 8000MHz!

I wonder how this holds up to a core 2 duo OCed and at stock.

Well, if you go with the assumption that the x6800 is 30% faster than the Pentium 4 (3.8GHz) in single threaded performance then the Core 2 x6800 is equivalent to an ~5.4GHz Pentium 4. So 8GHz P4 would only be about 40-50% faster than the Core 2 X6800 at stock 2.93GHz (again in single threaded applications). That is if I made the right assumptions and did the right calculations. :D.

Well, if you go with the assumption that the x6800 is 30% faster than the Pentium 4 (3.8GHz) in single threaded performance then the Core 2 x6800 is equivalent to an ~5.4GHz Pentium 4. So 8GHz P4 would only be about 40-50% faster than the Core 2 X6800 at stock 2.93GHz (again in single threaded applications). That is if I made the right assumptions and did the right calculations. :D.

But youre assuming a 50% overclock automatically doubles the processors speed, which is not true

It's still amazing none the less, Now lets see those crazy overclockers in Japan beat that. ;) :D

Why would it? A 50% overclock isn't double the speed, that would be a 100% overclock.

My mistake. In that case a 100% overclock would double the processors actual SPEED yes, but not real world performance, correct me if im wrong.

I wonder if this was the reason that our global temperature rose 1 degree....

i remember reading somewhere that Windows XP does not run stable past 4.25Ghz. I don't know how true this was and don't remember wher eI read it. I read applications break if you go faster than that sped. It may have been in an issue of Maximum Pc magazine. Does anyone know anything about this?

i remember reading somewhere that Windows XP does not run stable past 4.25Ghz. I don't know how true this was and don't remember wher eI read it. I read applications break if you go faster than that sped. It may have been in an issue of Maximum Pc magazine. Does anyone know anything about this?

That's a bunch of BS.

Did anyone looked at the other records in the Hall of Fame? at the bottom there's an Athlon clocked at 15MHz!!! The FSB and multipiler reads 0. So how is that score even possible? Heck how did XP even boot?

Did anyone looked at the other records in the Hall of Fame? at the bottom there's an Athlon clocked at 15MHz!!! The FSB and multipiler reads 0. So how is that score even possible? Heck how did XP even boot?

I saw an article where someone got XP to boot with an original Pentium running at 8MHz and only 16MB RAM.

I saw an article where someone got XP to boot with an original Pentium running at 8MHz and only 16MB RAM.

define boot.

last I heard they were still waiting for the icons to appear on screen. ;)

oh emm geee liek I put nawwwws in my car and made it have 600hp!!?!

for a few seconds..

p4 631?

Is this the ceder mill core?

I ask because it would be fun to play with one of those in my spare time. I still have a warm spot in my heart for intel's single core with HT.

to run Aero

Heh :p

that's hella cool. Kind of funny the original thread that it happened in had a bunch of haters saying which chips today can still outperform the 8ghz p4.

I guess they don't get it: it's fucking 8ghz.

EIGHT.

Back