P4 2.6 HT vs barton 2500+

Goride

Limp Gawd

these two processors are not set in stone, but im trying to get the most i can for as little as i can. A slight difference isn't gong to affect my decision a whole lot, as long as there is a noticeable performance difference.

I have been reading tomshardware, and here at these forums, and some other sites like sharkyextreme.com.

And from what i understand the p4 2.6 can be easily clocked to 3.2 and the barton can reach speeds that of a 3200+

Now generally a pentium is slightly better than that of the amd's equivent, is that the same case here too? Also, is the Hyper threading that noticeable? Some of the people i have talked to, are telling me its not much more than a marketing gimmick.

the prices at new egg are as follows:

P4 2.6c 800mhz HT = $166
amd barton 2500+ = $85

the 2500+ is roughly twice as much... is the performace of the pentium noticeble enough to warrent the extra money?

And finally, i seen that tomshardware did indeed have the p4 running at 3.2 but i just read that the barton 2500+ could get to 3200+ speeds in a forum.... has anyone else been able to do this?

bang for the buck? 2500+, but the 2.6c HT will be faster by a good amount. Expecially considering most 2500+ chips thease days will infact "NOT" do 3200+ Speeds. And a 2.6c will do 3.0 easy on a stock cooler and low voltages..For 85 bucks the 2500+ is a damm fast chip.

If you can afford it go with a 2.6c (why not a 2.4c, are they not HT enabeled?) I dont think any socket A AMD is fast enought to compeat with a 3gig+ intel unless you can clock the AMD to 2.4 or more.

all thinks considering, we are at the end of the raod for both intel and AMD chips, so i presonally would go as cheat as possibel and get a new Althlon 64 FX or whatever intel has next at a later time. right now is a poor time to buy.

Originally posted by Goride

these two processors are not set in stone, but im trying to get the most i can for as little as i can. A slight difference isn't gong to affect my decision a whole lot, as long as there is a noticeable performance difference.

I have been reading tomshardware, and here at these forums, and some other sites like sharkyextreme.com.

And from what i understand the p4 2.6 can be easily clocked to 3.2 and the barton can reach speeds that of a 3200+

Now generally a pentium is slightly better than that of the amd's equivent, is that the same case here too? Also, is the Hyper threading that noticeable? Some of the people i have talked to, are telling me its not much more than a marketing gimmick.

P4 2.6c 800mhz HT = $166
amd barton 2500+ = $85

the 2500+ is roughly twice as much... is the performace of the pentium noticeble enough to warrent the extra money?

And finally, i seen that tomshardware did indeed have the p4 running at 3.2 but i just read that the barton 2500+ could get to 3200+ speeds in a forum.... has anyone else been able to do this?

HyperThreading is very much worth the P4 IMO.

It allows me to burn a cd while playing simcity 4 in the background. or run photoshop with 4 IE windows open and Itunes all at once without any hiccups. It may not be that benificial for just increasing framed in a game, but who cares the CPU is very much fast enough for a single game.

I love HT, I feel the difference when I go back to an AMD barton machine. It just doesnt feel as good when underload and multi-tasking which is what I do alot as do most people. Other than that, the AMD will save a few bucks, but still its not like its a whole lot either way.

From what I've read at the forums it depends on what your doing. If your multitasking Intel seems to have that market cornered if your gaming AMD seems the way to go. Just observations of the posts I've read over the last few months.

Originally posted by Goride

P4 2.6c 800mhz HT = $166
amd barton 2500+ = $85

2500+ is 2x more bang for the buck really. Hyperthreading is just about useless for games. You won´t see much of a speed increase if any. Then the BARTONS bigger L2 cache helps much more which make the 2500+ a perfect gaming CPU for the price conscious.

The P4 2,6c may overclock a bit better than the 2500+ but gaming performance will definiatly be better with the 2500+

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
Expecially considering most 2500+ chips thease days will infact "NOT" do 3200+ Speeds.

they reach 3200 speeds in stock cooling there, chief.

Originally posted by batotman
If its price get the 2500+, if its performance get the 2.6C.

In overclocked state it´s perhaps faster in games. Definiatly not certain though. You may very well be getting better performance out of the 2500+ too.

But the new Bartons are they locked at 11 multiplier?? If so if you got good mem and mainboard you shouldn´t have problem hitting 200 FSB.

Originally posted by heyheyhey
they reach 3200 speeds in stock cooling there, chief.

There have been many reports of people not even being able to reach 3200+ speeds. More so on the newer chips. The very first 2500+'s went all the way up to about 2.5 if you wernt afraid of a little +2.0v action. I know because i have one.

But the new locked 2500+ chips dont do that good at all....just because a chip overclocks good, dosnt mean every one like it will...take the 2100+s for exampel, the week 47-52 or 2002 do signifiganitly better that most...hitting the 2.6 mark....

My locked barton hits 2.2GHz at 1.75v. This is on a crappy old 300w power supply that volts low on all rails.

I had it to nearly 2.5 in windows as well.

With a proper setup and a little knowledge, I'm sure most will hit 2.2+ with ease.

If I were you, I'd wait a week or two for prices to drop on the P4. The 2.8C is going to drop in price and cost just as much as the 2.6C.

Originally posted by Big Worm

It allows me to burn a cd while playing simcity 4 in the background. or run photoshop with 4 IE windows open and Itunes all at once without any hiccups. It may not be that benificial for just increasing framed in a game, but who cares the CPU is very much fast enough for a single game.

what the heck version of photopshop are you running? i often have about 2x the amount of what you mention and i never see a problem.

I don't know if this really matters, but I was able to get 3200+ speeds with stock cooling on my unlocked 2500+ during the summer.. If you look around, you may be able to get an unlocked one..

this is something to be said for HT...I tried to make my system be unstable, BSOD, or something, so I loaded COD, Halo, Splinter Cell, and Battlefield 1942 at once and was getting 50-100FPS in all of them, with every setting maxed out. I was just sitting there alt-tabbing from game to game (alt tabs were instantaneous too) with my mouth open watching fraps. Thats all open simultaneously, in the middle of levels. 2-2-2-5 memory timings. was at 3.2ghz. Also, I noticed that it is about a gigahertz curve (+/- p4mhz, 50axp mhz) between the two when it comes to overclocking, so GENERALLY, a 2.6c @ 3.5ghz is roughly equal to a axp at 2.5ghz, so on. I would go with intel cause i cant imagine not living without hyperthreading, trust me, its very real. Especially when you have seti going, outlook, 4 excel spreadsheets, 7+ internet windows, etc.

Thanks for your advice....

I also started to think (because it has to last and still be decent at playing games for 3 years)

So i was even thinking about an Athlon64. Not the FX -51 thats definently out of my price range but one of the normal Athlon64's.

Now according to the end of year review/guide at tomshardware.com, the athlon64 really doesnt seem to do all that great on the various benchmarks. When compared to for example a p4 2.6 overclocked.

THey didnt have a 2500+ in the article but they did have an overclocked 2600+ which, didnt really seem to be able to hold weight.

But here's my thinking. The Athlon64 wasnt even able to use it's 64 bit powers. Until programs start taking advantage of it, it will be hard to tell if it would be worth it.

So here is a question i had. Do you think when longhord (64-bit windows) becomes available (when is it slated for release?) do you think 'normal' applications (32-bit games for example) will get a large boost in performance when being used on a 64-bit OS?

Because in the long run, that might make that a better choice.

I dont know, its kind of frusterating/confusing but exciting at the same time. You see, i havent even glanced at any hardware articles, prices, or anything since 2000 when i put this comp together. Its a 750mhz athlon (original athlong, before duron or thunderbird) and i got it running at 950-1000 (depending on my mood :p ) GeForce2 GTS 32mb, 30gig 7200, and 512mb pc133 ram.

But since i havent followed up on anything in basicly 4 years, its so new to me again eheh. And im having the hardest time tryign to decide on what i want, i keep thinking "for 20 bucks more i can get this instead"

But i am on a budget, since i have $1000 to spend, and i need ot get a monitor with that money as well. I refuse to keep this monitor any longer.. its a 17" CRT... which isnt that bad, but its .27 pitch which is absolutly horrible. I can salvage my sound hard and NIC, and use my current harddrive as a backup, but thats about it, my cdrom and cdburner drives i probably wont keep since i would like to get a dvd-rom drive and a dvd burner as well.... since i basicly only have around 750 for the computer itself, i dont know if i will be able to get everything id like heh.

Oh and i suppose I could keep my case too, assuming the new motherboards fit in the older cases.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, i wanted to add, while i am a gamer, like to do other stuff to. If HT is really something that works well that may make my mind up, because if i could, lets say, burn a dvd WHILE playing a game, or goign about my normal business on my computer that would be really great. I hate it when im burning a cd and i have to go watch tv or something for like 10 minutes. (or just sit there and talk on aim or something really resource low)

Originally posted by HRslammR
what the heck version of photopshop are you running? i often have about 2x the amount of what you mention and i never see a problem.

Are you kidding?

Burning a CD while Playing SimCity 4 on a city with 1.2 million people WHILE running photoshop, some IE windows open, and playing Itunes plus all the normal windows junk I have going like coolmon etc etc. isnt gonna be easy cake for just any cpu, I even feel it in my P4. I am willing to bet you would feel the toll a bit more on an AMD, I am sure a 2500+ will do great, but I dont think its going to outperform an oveclocked P4 with Hyperthreading in that catagory. Just like I wouldnt compare a P4 with HT to a true dual xeon or dual AMD rigg in heavy multitasking.

I agree with you bigworm....

I ran a bit HT test over at AT and have seen the P4 Ht multitasking enhancements first thing.....The fact is no site has devised a real methodology in testing HT so it is vastlyunderlooked and allows AMD ppl to make wild claims of comparisons IMO...

I recently ran 2500+ oc'd to 3200+ which I was able to achieve at 1.7v (167v actual as the board undervolted a bit) in some of those same test situations and what I saw was LAG, DROPPED FRAMES, one app running fast at the detriment to all the other apps (so priority juggling is necessary but still only one app can have the advantage), LONGER TIMES, and even sometimes system unresponsive for periods of time until a few apps comleted...

A person need to own and run both side by side to make the comparison though like AT I see most here still talk without knowing.....

I run a 2400+ for work, my wife has a [email protected], and I run a [email protected]. HT definitely shows in a major way as I do alot of shit. The 2400+ is always lagging, the 2.53 was a faster than the 2400+ but still slowed to a crawl when heavy multitasking.

Ok, that about "feeling it" with an AMD cpu is bs. Mine is clocked a bit higher (3200+ @ 420FSB, 2310mhz) but right now I have Photoshop CS open, Emule, Opera with 12 different web pages open, Trillian PRO, Windows Media Player, and Im installing somthing. Im getting NADA slowdown. None. Ide say its more ram intensive than anything, you cant classify something like that by CPU alone. 1gig of ram + and you wont ever see slowdown. You cant just say its a better multi-tasking cpu without some hard facts, and you dont really have any because there is no way to test something like that.

would a dual AMD motherboard with modded 2500 XP's to MP's( was done by a guy in the SMP forum where people were putting pics of their dual rig) and OCed, run as fast and be able to handle a multitasking enviroment just as well as the P4 2.6 HT Oced as well. The guys 2500 dually was OCed to 2.3.

Originally posted by Tengis
Ok, that about "feeling it" with an AMD cpu is bs. Mine is clocked a bit higher (3200+ @ 420FSB, 2310mhz) but right now I have Photoshop CS open, Emule, Opera with 12 different web pages open, Trillian PRO, Windows Media Player, and Im installing somthing. Im getting NADA slowdown. None. Ide say its more ram intensive than anything, you cant classify something like that by CPU alone. 1gig of ram + and you wont ever see slowdown. You cant just say its a better multi-tasking cpu without some hard facts, and you dont really have any because there is no way to test something like that.

I love you guys...It isn't about how many applications are open...It is about application and heavy cpu usage applications running....number of applications will be depedent upon ram but running them will cause the cpu to try to prioritize which gets dibs on thread priority....

Look at the items you list...12 diff web pages upon...Big deal...that is ram...once they loaded they take nothing of cpu cycles...installing something depends on whether cd-rom or HDD and most of that barely takes 15-20% likely on most systems...WMP barely takes 8% on my cpu if I am playing a wav or mp3 file...sorry I dont know emule or trllian pro but were they just open or were you processing somethingor calculating something???

You want to know what I was testing go read my p4c HT test I just posted awhile ago....

Barton doing something like a TMPGenc (100% cpu usage) of a divx conversion to DVD mpeg2 standard and then capturing DV camcorder in pinnacle while watching the TV tuner )or playing mp3s if you like)....dropped frames plain and simple...

Run the apps don't just sit there....

Also it isn't always about can you get 2 to 3 apps to play nice with each other...it is also about efficiency of gettig them done....

Many times in the testing it is clear in the Barton as well as a p4 with no HT or HT turned off in the bios cpu intensive apps like encoding, gaming, cad rendering all of which can take 100% load will fight for the same cycles...In the end usually the times to get things done are equal to all of the times of the apps separately added together....

With the P4 and HT actual times were less...

IE run 2 instances of seti bench unit...will take exactly 2x 1 instance...no shock!!! run 2 instances on an HT and the 2 units will get done in 50% more time then 1 unit....

Back