p4 2.4A too hot??

I am putting together a computer for a customer. I have a gigabyte 845G board w/ the built in intel graphics, used them many times in the past, they make great office machines. I got a p4 2.4A 533fsb w/ the prescott core, this is the 1st prescott i have ever used. I have tried the intel heatsink and one from compUSA w/ a copper base and 32cfm 80mm fan, AS 2 and 3, about this thing idles at about 55C. WTF?? Even the 2.6ghz 800fsb HT northwood i built would not reach these kinda temps at full load w/ the stock HS. Whats going on, did i get a bad chip, do the prescotts run this hot?? I need to get this computer up and running but i don't want to give it to my customer running that hot. Should i try and get another chip, or just buy a northwood?? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Prescotts run really, really hot compared to northwood cores. Your temp of 55 is far from the processor kill zone, so I wouldn't be too worried...

Charge him a little more and put in a Zalman 7000 alcu heatsink and his system will be fine.

You already have the Prescott, so unless you can get your money back, you'll have to stick with it. Prescotts are hot little bastards, and the stock cooling from all I've heard care just barely keep them from frying themselves. Get a Zalman AlCu like Monty says or something better than stock (though the Zalman cools great and is quiet). Also, when applying AS3, be sure to have cleaned both surfaces and follow the directions on the AS site. Too much reduces the effectiveness of the AS.

I just finished a new 2.8E system for a family member that ran completely stable at 174 F. I can't remember what that translates to in C but I think it was around 72-78C. I finished doing all the windows updates and drivers and decided to run Prime95 for a while after I overclocked it to 3.012GHz. I came back about two hours later and heard the temp alarm from MBM5 going off. Temp read 174F but was completely stable and had generated no errors. I clocked it back down to 2.933GHz and it never went over 145F after that. 174 just seems a little TOO hot for me. Oh, and I was using the Zalman cooler too. :p

Captain Colonoscopy> you're one krazie dude! one rule of OC.. NEVER NEVER leave a newly OCED chip running prime without monitoring it! some guy just fried his AMD chip because of that... he went to watch a movie or something for few hours... when he came back all was gone...

Prescotts run hot but they dont mind running hot. And as far as running prime or your CPU @ 100%?? IF it wont run 100% for hours on end, it's called defective!!! How else will the next prime number be found unless everyone is running Prime 24/7??

I've ran my 2.8e @ 3.9ghz for weeks before i sold the chip while it was folding 24/7 the whole time.

The chips are spec'd to run that hot from intel. For some reason people think if chips dont run in the 30s' or 40's they are not stable. They benchmark the same whether they are running @ 30c or 70 celsius.

ocphangaz said:
Captain Colonoscopy> you're one krazie dude! one rule of OC.. NEVER NEVER leave a newly OCED chip running prime without monitoring it! some guy just fried his AMD chip because of that... he went to watch a movie or something for few hours... when he came back all was gone...

Ok i left my prescott 2.4 running @ 3.4ghz with a factory heatsink 76 celsius running Prime ever since i was on last 5 hours ago. I went out shopping and came back. No problems.

Myth busted.

ocphangaz said:

If there wasn't some kind of installer error, this would never have happened.

man, i think you guys are crazy for running your chips that hot. I just can't believe electronics were ment to run at those kinda temps. Don't you think you might be seriously killing the life of your chip? I called intel about this and they did say that idle at 55c was "in spec" but they did say 70c was the danger zone. I can not really agree that an idle at 55 is in spec with a 70. Maybe for a high performance highly overclocked machine for someone that knows what they are doing and will keep an eye on temps and such, keep the cooling equipment clean and running well, these kinda temps could be ok. But most work horse office machines aren't going to get this kind of attention, and i don't really think they need to if built right. I have replaced perfectly working 3..4 year old dells that have never had anything done to them at all. Do you really think they would be so trouble free if they were running on the edge of their temperature limits.
Tedinde said:
The chips are spec'd to run that hot from intel. For some reason people think if chips dont run in the 30s' or 40's they are not stable. They benchmark the same whether they are running @ 30c or 70 celsius.

Like I said intel told me 70 is when you need to worry. Its not that i don't think this chip will be stable at 70-80, its that I don't want it running there for a computer i build for my customers. There will be hot days, there will be cold days, maybe the A/C died for a few days, fans and heatsinks will collect dust, etc, there should be a good enough buffer there that you don't have to worry about a few extra degrees. So, i RMA the chip to newegg and got a 2.4 northwood, its been running prime for 6 or so hours now and is sitting at about 45c and idles down in the 30s w/ the old style intel hsf. The prescott had the new one w/ the copper core. So now i feel much more comfortable sending this computer to my customer, however due to this whole ordeal I don't plan on building anymore intel systems unless asked. While I still hear people say Athlons run soo hot, I have yet to see this in any of the Athlons i have built, owned, or operated. I once thought using Intels for lost cost, reliable office machines was a good idea, but now it seems for less money i can get a faster, cooler running Athlon.

Always remember, in the world of electronics heat is your #1 enemy.

55 degrees sounds about right! You should think about getting an aftermarket heatsink and fan. TT spark 7 would be awsome for the chip, or zalman is ok if you dont move the case alot. (I moved my case alot going to lan parties and one day the upper part of my mobo cracked just alittle off the top where the stock intel heatsink holder is. The Zalman is very heavy and not for everyone!!!)

ocphangaz said:

like most prescotts, (and most new AMD chips im pretty sure), the CPU should have a thermal trip that when crossed, at like 80C or something, theyll shut down automatically. Tomshardware did a piece on it once with some P3s. They pulled the HSF off during a Quake3 match and the PC slowed and slowed and eventually shut off.

I wouldnt risk it thogh, ive heard of peoples PCs temperatures being a lot higher after this has happened to them

All of the temperatures mentioned seem rather high.....

I'm running an ASUS P4P800E deluxe, with a 2.4A prescott, standard heatsink.

I've overclocked it to 3.24G, and it runs at about 35-36 degrees C at idle, and 44-45 degrees C under 100% load.

The 2.4A and 2.8A are not running at high temps!

My 2.4A runs at 31C @2.4, and 35C at 3.2Ghz!
On most board the A stepping runs kinda low.
While the 2.8E i tested on the same board/case with same airflow ran at about 47C at stock speed.

So i'd check the heatsink, maybe... remove the heat-transfer pad cuz sometimes they are not working properly, mine does run well tho, no paste at all, why use it when you dont have to?

but anyway, prescott handle heat very well anyway...

I've done some further tests, and this is what I got:

2.4A Prescott, overclocked to 3.24G.

It runs idle at about 38 degrees C, and running under load (Prime) it runs at 48 degrees C. To test it out a bit, I partially covered the fan with a piece of plastic (!!!), and it got up to 57 degrees before I removed it.... it was down to 49 degrees within a few minutes.

It's running with stock cooler, voltage is standard 1.4V

Again i'll say, prescotts are stable in the 70celsius range. from the factory and the intel heatsink they run in the 60's. The cpu will give you the same benhmark numbers whether it's 40 celsius or 70 celsius.

If your worried about temps, get better cooling. intel spec's them to run that hot and dell and the rest sends them out the door by the thousands running at those temps.

I've ran P4's without the heatsink, it will not kill them and they will not die. They just slow down till most motherboards shut down the computer at a certain temp.

with my OCZ Eliminator 2 + AS3 my pressy 2.4 @ 3.42 Ghz sits at 39c idle,and 57c full load.this with default voltage,according to Asusprobe its got 1.41 volts going through it.

I am running a 2.4A @3ghz. Idle 32c, full load 43c. Using a Thermaltake Spark7+ cooler. I've had it up to 3.2ghz, and under full load was @47c. So not very hot at all for a Prescott. I just changed over from AMD to Intel, and I haven't been disappointed so far. :D

Back