P35-DS4 Realtek LAN transistors

Lames.

Gawd
Just got an 8400 and was installing it tonight and had to reseat my heatsink a few times and after the 2nd time my net all of sudden didn't come on and didn't see lights in the back. Spent like 2 hours researching online about the problem but couldn't find anything.

So I decided to go look close to the Realtek chip on the board itself. And right next to the chip was 3 transistors. 2 of them bent and out of those 2, one of them had one of the legs completely broken off!

So I figured I hit it a few times with my re seating my GTX few times. But after putting the card in, it wasn't even close to the card! I have no idea what happened.

So my choices are..

RMA it.
Buy a PCI NIC.
Take it to my work(work at a PC/Printer/Typewriters Repair/Store) and my boss solders on loose AC power connectors on laptops all the time and was going to ask and see if I could just bring it in and see if he could solder it back on but wasn't sure if it possible to get it working again since its a bit different then an AC connector.

Help?

My concern would be that it dorked something besides just the ethernet port. If that is really all that is messed up, buying a cheap PCIe (if you could find one) e-net card would be a pretty easy fix. However, given that you never really know what else might secretly be messed up, I would probably RMA it if oyu don't mind being down for a while or buying a replacement. Can you do a temp fix to see if reconnecting the transsistor fixes your problem? Bend it back or connect it with some circuit repairer or something?

Thanks for the reply.

I truly don't want to go with a PCIe Card. Kinda would toy with my airflow design a bit.

That was also my concern that it might not just be the LAN thats messed but it's all I can tell right now.

Gigabyte says it takes 2-3 weeks to get my board back to me and that doesn't include the time it would take to get there. REALLY didn't want to go the RMA way just for the fact they claim it takes forever and a day to get back. I have a single core AMD setup that I can be on but REALLY don't want to do that.

Also REALLY don't want to spend money. Giant headache tonight.

Also can't find a decent temp/backup board to use without having to spend $100+.

So what do you want ? Magic Transistor Fairy to come by while you sleep ? .

If anyone but Gigabyte touches that board Gigabyte has the option to void the warranty. Unless you can determine what that transistor is you are not going to be able to repair it. If it has markings and you can find a replacemnt you have a good shot if nothing else is damaged.

Are you on drugs ? Have you seen the size of current pci ethernet cards ? They are the size of credit cards and are not goint to do jack to your airflow and put it in the lowest slot. Toy with your airflow "design" and you manage to damage the board puting on a heatsink ? /gimmeabreak

Get a NIC and chalk it up to experience, if something else comes up, RMA it (ignoring the issue of you damaged it, Gigabyte may well determine, and probally should, the damage is "Physical Abuse" and will not cover it for free. )

So what do you want ? Magic Transistor Fairy to come by while you sleep ? .

If anyone but Gigabyte touches that board Gigabyte has the option to void the warranty. Unless you can determine what that transistor is you are not going to be able to repair it. If it has markings and you can find a replacemnt you have a good shot if nothing else is damaged.

Are you on drugs ? Have you seen the size of current pci ethernet cards ? They are the size of credit cards and are not goint to do jack to your airflow and put it in the lowest slot. Toy with your airflow "design" and you manage to damage the board puting on a heatsink ? /gimmeabreak

Get a NIC and chalk it up to experience, if something else comes up, RMA it (ignoring the issue of you damaged it, Gigabyte may well determine, and probally should, the damage is "Physical Abuse" and will not cover it for free. )

1.) Didn't have to be a total dickhead about it.
2.) Was just asking for advice on what to do.

I don't shop for NICs on the regular and barely deal with them at my work.

I also looked it even closer this morning while getting ready for work, and there is no way in hell I could of bent them. The graphics card sits just far enough away from it that I could put my full body wait on it and still not push it down far enough to even come close to hitting them.

I remeber having a little bit of internet problems a week after I bought the board (2months ago).

So is short, if your going to be a dick, go eat a dick. Not everyone is as '1337' as you when it comes to this shit.

Back