P.A.M.E.L.A. Trailer 2

HardOCP News

[H] News
This game looks pretty damn interesting. It seems a bit like a futuristic Bioshock game to me but that's just my take. Watch the trailer, then tell me what you think.

P.A.M.E.L.A. is an open world, sci-fi survival horror FPS with RPG elements in development for Windows PC, release date TBA 2016. With inspirations including Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Bioshock, P.A.M.E.L.A. investigates the underlying fault in humanity's craving for technological and biological advancement.

Ooo...
Okay, I'm in.

I want to do a story on AI and technology with a different view; we create it and it doesn't care.

Neat look. Somewhere between Bioshock and Mirror's Edge?

But... Unity? Smacks of a mobile game developer, and I have yet to see any games made based on Unity, for PC, that really look any good. It's a fantastic mobile engine, but as far as I have seen, can't hold up well in high res comparisons...

I won't write it off, but it's a red flag.

But... Unity? Smacks of a mobile game developer, and I have yet to see any games made based on Unity, for PC, that really look any good. It's a fantastic mobile engine, but as far as I have seen, can't hold up well in high res comparisons...

I wouldn't even say it's just a matter of holding up for a high resolution. It seems like any 3d survival or horror type of game using the unity engine is just a bug-ridden mess of hot garbage. I guess it might be entirely the developers fault and not necessarily the engine(seems the steam early access selling your game before it's even close to being playable encourages devs to not bother finishing it) but it doesn't seem to have a very good track record.

I wouldn't even say it's just a matter of holding up for a high resolution. It seems like any 3d survival or horror type of game using the unity engine is just a bug-ridden mess of hot garbage. I guess it might be entirely the developers fault and not necessarily the engine(seems the steam early access selling your game before it's even close to being playable encourages devs to not bother finishing it) but it doesn't seem to have a very good track record.
And to be fair there are some great simple or mobile games built on Unity. Despite ultimately crashing and burning, I loved Mechwarrior Tactics. There are real hits on the engine too, Valley Without Wind, the new Shadowrun games, Endless Legend. But they aren't games known for their graphical fidelity or, really,m graphics at all. It's a list of 2/4 view, top down or sidescrollers. Lots of 2D games as well. HUGE amounts of indie games.

So, while I'm all for MOAR GAEMS, Unity games, because of how cheap the engine is to use, tend to be real hit or miss products.

And to be fair there are some great simple or mobile games built on Unity. Despite ultimately crashing and burning, I loved Mechwarrior Tactics. There are real hits on the engine too, Valley Without Wind, the new Shadowrun games, Endless Legend. But they aren't games known for their graphical fidelity or, really,m graphics at all. It's a list of 2/4 view, top down or sidescrollers. Lots of 2D games as well. HUGE amounts of indie games.

So, while I'm all for MOAR GAEMS, Unity games, because of how cheap the engine is to use, tend to be real hit or miss products.

Cheap engine allowing more people to easily half-ass game development? Yeah, that might be it. I'm just not concerned with the graphics and detail as much as I am the gameplay. Sure I guess it's almost cliche to say "gameplay > graphics" but I'd rather have a great playing game that looks "meh" than a highly detailed amazing looking piece of garbage(that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer detailed and amazing looking great games, it's just a matter of priorities).

Cheap engine allowing more people to easily half-ass game development? Yeah, that might be it. I'm just not concerned with the graphics and detail as much as I am the gameplay. Sure I guess it's almost cliche to say "gameplay > graphics" but I'd rather have a great playing game that looks "meh" than a highly detailed amazing looking piece of garbage(that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer detailed and amazing looking great games, it's just a matter of priorities).

Completely true, and that's why I think many Unity games, the well developed ones, don't try to make their games super high-fidelity in terms of style.
Mechwarrior Tactics used a dynamic overhead view, which took you far enough away that details sis not matter much, and used coloring and shape cues to help you differentiate the mechs (quite cleverly, I may add).
MechWarrior-Tactics-Battle-is-Declared.jpg

Valley Without Wind is 2D and intentionaly low res in terms of style.
ss_5001c1ffba6a75ee22bbb9c8fe818f10ce824baf.1920x1080.jpg

Shadowrun Returns is a mix of 2D and 3D elements in an iso view
Shadowrun-Returns.jpg

Even Kerbal Space Program looks like crap, but the point of the game is not the graphics and never was. Cities: Skylines is not a AAA game, and even they have used a low-detail style.

All are well done. But look at the games on the list that didn't do so well, and many tried to use Unity as a standard FPS game engine, or otherwise leverage it as an alternative to Unreal, Id Tech etc which are significantly more expensive to use, and much more complicated.

So, yea. I think Unity is chosen as a low cost option where fidelity is not an issue because of art style or game style (which are more likely good games) or because the developer can't afford a more full-featured engine. I do think it's tell that, afaik, there are no major/successful FPS titles using Unity.

Cuphead & Yooka-Laylee are using Unity. Cuphead got endless praise at E3. And I'll support anything Banjo-Kazooie related.

I'll give P.A.M.E.L.A. a chance.

Seems like it could be a cool game, but it certainly has the dumbest name I've ever seen :p

Really just the fact that this is being developed as a PC exclusive (or at least PC first) makes me want to check it out.

Looks interesting,I'd love to see more open world,RPG type FPS's,but I'm not holding my breath. For some reason, these type games get a flashy announcement but never see the light of day,remember STALKER 2, PREY 2,and the open world Star Wars shooter I can't recall the name of?

Looks interesting,I'd love to see more open world,RPG type FPS's,but I'm not holding my breath. For some reason, these type games get a flashy announcement but never see the light of day,remember STALKER 2, PREY 2,and the open world Star Wars shooter I can't recall the name of?

1313?
But yea, whatever happened to Prey2?

I was hoping that it was related to f.e.a.r. because of the periods. Still looks interesting. Will check it out.

I will be watching for this game, it looks pretty cool. Reminds me a lot of Bioshock also. If the story telling comes across well, it will be a winner.

Yes unity totally can not hold up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbGwU5Zx4M

You do realize that Unity has no bearing on how high res the textures and things are right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games

You have games from low-res mobile, to high res pc, to even LIVE ACTION (Tex Murphy/Her Story).

You do realize that Unity has no bearing on how high res the textures and things are right?

You have games from low-res mobile, to high res pc, to even LIVE ACTION (Tex Murphy/Her Story).

Your list is much better, but every time I hear people complaining of Unity, I think :
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/
It's pretty much early beta, and looks and plays amazing... (inho) :D

Just because it can PLAY at high res, doesn't mean it looks good. (and to be clear, I'm talking about FPS style games, not more artistic games where resolution doens't matter much). Take Ori for example. It's a GORGEOUS game ( I loved it). And it proves the point I was making above. It's a 2D sidescroller that uses Unity within its limitations to fantastic effect.
Where Unity falls apart is when it comes to polygons. This is largely derived from its mobile roots where poly-pushing hardware is essentially nonexistant. They do great things with mapping to make things look better, but a PC gamer will be able to see what's going on. For example Kerbal:
819ce45c89b4fee04ef62f5077810b5c.png

THAT GROUND!
No polygons, low res texture.
Your list is much better, but every time I hear people complaining of Unity, I think :
http://www.interstellarmarines.com/
It's pretty much early beta, and looks and plays amazing... (inho) :D
Looks amazing?
SoundOfRunningManPartI_03.jpg

play-interstellar-marines-running-man.jpg

Even their "hey look at me" model art is pretty mediocre:
TitanWalker.png

I mean, compare that with MechWarrior Online running CryEngine 3, which is how many years old at this point?
XqkC1OW.png

Night and day.

NOW. Let's be clear, and I mentioned this above: I am fully willing to admit that these differences may be down the budgets of the devs using unity, rather than the engine itself. It can put together some very pretty visuals, but it isn't being done. It seems to be that if it could, there would be games using it more, simply because it's cheaper than the big name engines.

looks fantastic...love the setting and atmosphere...a game to keep an eye on for sure!

Just because it can PLAY at high res, doesn't mean it looks good. (and to be clear, I'm talking about FPS style games, not more artistic games where resolution doens't matter much). Take Ori for example. It's a GORGEOUS game ( I loved it). And it proves the point I was making above. It's a 2D sidescroller that uses Unity within its limitations to fantastic effect.
Where Unity falls apart is when it comes to polygons. This is largely derived from its mobile roots where poly-pushing hardware is essentially nonexistant. They do great things with mapping to make things look better, but a PC gamer will be able to see what's going on. For example Kerbal:

THAT GROUND!
No polygons, low res texture.

Looks amazing?

Even their "hey look at me" model art is pretty mediocre:

I mean, compare that with MechWarrior Online running CryEngine 3, which is how many years old at this point?

Night and day.

NOW. Let's be clear, and I mentioned this above: I am fully willing to admit that these differences may be down the budgets of the devs using unity, rather than the engine itself. It can put together some very pretty visuals, but it isn't being done. It seems to be that if it could, there would be games using it more, simply because it's cheaper than the big name engines.

Ok, but none of that has anything to do with the gameplay itself, or if the game is a buggy piece of crap. Polygon counts and texture resolution have nothing to do with NPC's clipping through walls, or player characters falling through the ground in games, garbage control schemes, input lag, and so on. Not every game needs to look like a AAA title, but every game needs to not be a buggy piece of crap. I don't understand why you're so focused on graphics, when that's not even the major problem with the examples of bad unity engine games on PC.

The development team for the game only consists of six people? Wow!

I'm looking forward to it. :D

Looks like Mirrors Edge using the unity framework. Nice trailer hype, but I'm not fond of these types of games, Horror/Thriller genre.

Back