OYUA is going to be crap and i already kickstarted it :(

Random thoughts/impressions:
-Got my Ouya, controller is decent, looks cheaper than it actually feels. Buttons, D-pad, and thumbsticks feel good. Trigger buttons are too big+cheap feeling
-I plugged in a usb keyboard which it did not detect. Lights up and whatnot but I could not use it in any of the menus.
-The Interface is utter trash. A hack job at best. I had to become a "dev" just to be able to access the built in browser, which is hidden 3-menus in.
-Network speeds are horribly slow, both wired and wireless.
-Side-loaded an XBMC build, then looked up my shared drives. Incredibly slow just bringing up each folder, then when I had it scan my main media drive it basically froze up, I checked it after 2 hours and it found some of my movies, but also detected a bunch of stuff that I don't have (this might be my own fault / functionality of XBMC).
-You cannot access the Play store, or any "basic" apps at all without sideloading
-The total available games in the Ouya store is ~150? and not very high quality. Again, the UI is slow
-There is no "power off" option that I've found in the UI, you have to get up and hold the Ouya button on the console itself, the one on the controller only acts as a "home" button ala android.
-Did I mention the UI is utter trash?
-Apparently Audio-Passthrough does not work and may never work (which means you'll be limited to stereo sound, no 5.1 DTS), so this has already soured my opinions greatly, as I intended this to be my media-streaming device.

I expected there to be a CM/hacked OS made for this by the time I got mine, but apparently development is slow (perhaps because no one seems to have gotten their units in a timely manner?) There is also a hardware-acceleration enabled XMBC build floating around that I'll be trying tonight, though I don't expect that fixing the slow network speeds magically.

All in all, I've yet to play a single piece of media or game on this thing yet.

You know, I wonder if allowing early beta access to kickstarters was a good move on Ouya's part. Sure the thing's in beta and *should* be improved by the retail date (though that's rapidly approaching), but I'd be lying if all of the early negativity hasn't affected me.

You know, I wonder if allowing early beta access to kickstarters was a good move on Ouya's part. Sure the thing's in beta and *should* be improved by the retail date (though that's rapidly approaching), but I'd be lying if all of the early negativity hasn't affected me.

Just judging from what i've seen in Custom Roms for various phones, the interface work done for the Ouya is incredibly amateur. Their "release" build better have a huge overhaul.

GFLOPs aren't everything, but I do want to point out that the Tegra 4 has a GFLOPS rating of 74.8 while the Xenos chip of the 360 is capable of 240.

So as you said, it would be the same, except not at all :p

I got mixed up, based on numbers of the upcoming Tegra5 which is supposedly going to drive 212 GFLOPS (which is very simular to 360, PS3 quality)... which is reported that future versions of OYUA are going to use as they say they are going to release a new version of the console every year.

I got mixed up, based on numbers of the upcoming Tegra5 which is supposedly going to drive 212 GFLOPS (which is very simular to 360, PS3 quality)... which is reported that future versions of OYUA are going to use as they say they are going to release a new version of the console every year.

Where did you get the number for the Tegra5? The link you posted doesn't even mention Tegra5.

Anyway, so you got the chips mixed up and was thinking of the Tegra 5, which might be used in the next version of the oyua, which might be comparable to to the current generation of consoles. Never mind that the next generation of consoles might be out by then, negating the entire argument :p

Back on topic, I really do wonder how well the release version of OYUA will turn out, as the current beta reports seem to indicate the software isn't as polished as you'd expect from a beta.

Random thoughts/impressions:
-Got my Ouya, controller is decent, looks cheaper than it actually feels. Buttons, D-pad, and thumbsticks feel good. Trigger buttons are too big+cheap feeling
-I plugged in a usb keyboard which it did not detect. Lights up and whatnot but I could not use it in any of the menus.
-The Interface is utter trash. A hack job at best. I had to become a "dev" just to be able to access the built in browser, which is hidden 3-menus in.
-Network speeds are horribly slow, both wired and wireless.
-Side-loaded an XBMC build, then looked up my shared drives. Incredibly slow just bringing up each folder, then when I had it scan my main media drive it basically froze up, I checked it after 2 hours and it found some of my movies, but also detected a bunch of stuff that I don't have (this might be my own fault / functionality of XBMC).
-You cannot access the Play store, or any "basic" apps at all without sideloading
-The total available games in the Ouya store is ~150? and not very high quality. Again, the UI is slow
-There is no "power off" option that I've found in the UI, you have to get up and hold the Ouya button on the console itself, the one on the controller only acts as a "home" button ala android.
-Did I mention the UI is utter trash?
-Apparently Audio-Passthrough does not work and may never work (which means you'll be limited to stereo sound, no 5.1 DTS), so this has already soured my opinions greatly, as I intended this to be my media-streaming device.

I expected there to be a CM/hacked OS made for this by the time I got mine, but apparently development is slow (perhaps because no one seems to have gotten their units in a timely manner?) There is also a hardware-acceleration enabled XMBC build floating around that I'll be trying tonight, though I don't expect that fixing the slow network speeds magically.

All in all, I've yet to play a single piece of media or game on this thing yet.

So, basically worse than a $50 chinese google tv/pc on a stick.

Where did you get the number for the Tegra5? The link you posted doesn't even mention Tegra5.

Anyway, so you got the chips mixed up and was thinking of the Tegra 5, which might be used in the next version of the oyua, which might be comparable to to the current generation of consoles. Never mind that the next generation of consoles might be out by then, negating the entire argument :p

Back on topic, I really do wonder how well the release version of OYUA will turn out, as the current beta reports seem to indicate the software isn't as polished as you'd expect from a beta.

Eventually it probably won't matter anymore. You might get a wristwatch in the future with better capabilities then any modern high-end pc that can connect to any type of screen with some sort of wireless technology rendering pc's and consoles both pretty much useless.

Of course I don't think that future will happen for maby 10-50 years... but it can't be too far away...

Of course I don't think that future will happen for maby 10-50 years... but it can't be too far away...

Power consumption continues to be the Achilles heel of mobile devices. Where is our quantum leap in battery tech?

There is only stereo audio out on this device....yea i was thinking about picking one up just to play with on release but if thats true i will pass sorry...you have motherboards older then dirt that can do surround sound on them...

There is only stereo audio out on this device....yea i was thinking about picking one up just to play with on release but if thats true i will pass sorry...you have motherboards older then dirt that can do surround sound on them...

I'm seeing 5.1 Surround listed everywhere, hoping Stereo isn't true or just needs to be patched with a firmware update to open that bitch up to 5.1 like it should be. I need that shit for my media library!

Controller sucks -- buttons stick, all the time. The feel and shape is all well and good, but I probably shouldn't even try to beat a platformer level, otherwise easy, when I can't make a crucial double jump. Seriously, 20 attempts and each one ended in failure because of sticking buttons. I even tried delicate touches and they still stuck. I had to give up, because

ain-t-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Fast buttons -- no. Otherwise, the console isn't really all that bad, and I don't dislike it. I did laugh a little bit when prompts come up that look exactly like on my phone. Can those prompts even be customized in Android? Thankfully, no "Please input your CC information before you play." I'm gonna wait before I actually buy anything through OUYA. If they skimped on shipping with DHL and shitty controller buttons, I can only imagine they skimped on database security.

I'm seriously contemplating cancelation of my preorder. You can get a nice quadcore android Samsung exynos (or whatever) box for like $60.

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php

I'm seriously contemplating cancelation of my preorder. You can get a nice quadcore android Samsung exynos (or whatever) box for like $60.

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php

Devices like that do look attractive. Keep in mind that you would still need to buy storage, controller, Bluetooth, Wifi, power adapter and a case. Yes, some of those you already have and some of those you might not need. But it does show the value that they're including with the Ouya.

My biggest gripe with the Ouya right now is the sluggish interface. If they fix that it'll be a pretty decent little emulation console.

I don't know what you guys expected from a startup trying to use android as a back to jump off of. Everything about this from the start was about being cheap and exploiting already existing products and just jimmy rigging them to work in the living room. And you guys are all surprised that its not as polished as a billions dollar project from SONY or MS?

I don't know what you guys expected from a startup trying to use android as a back to jump off of. Everything about this from the start was about being cheap and exploiting already existing products and just jimmy rigging them to work in the living room. And you guys are all surprised that its not as polished as a billions dollar project from SONY or MS?

No, we expected them to be able to put together a decent build of android like the hundred or so excellent builds that are out there done by random people during their spare time. I also expected something with an HDMI output to have 5.1 sound output as well. And an android device to have google play access by default.

Like I said they ran this project because it was a brilliant way to cut corners and be cheap, its like saying you expected great quality from some Chinese knock off brand, or you expect perfectly flat uniform product from restored or reconditioned wood furniture, the business model made this obvious from the start. There is nothing wrong with buying into it, the problem is when you cant see the business model for what it is.

Like I said they ran this project because it was a brilliant way to cut corners and be cheap, its like saying you expected great quality from some Chinese knock off brand, or you expect perfectly flat uniform product from restored or reconditioned wood furniture, the business model made this obvious from the start. There is nothing wrong with buying into it, the problem is when you cant see the business model for what it is.

^This.

While they're falling short in some areas, it's has not left the overall scope and is not something that is impossible to refine over time.

That being said, I'm still happy with my pre-order staying active.

You should be able to use a PS3 or 360 controller. So if you don't like the controller that comes with it, it isn't a deal breaker.

Yeah, pairing a PS3 controller is kind of a weird process. With the Ouya on, you connect the controller via USB. Then you power off the Ouya and unplug the controller. Next you power on the Ouya and hold the PS button on the controller. It will eventually pair.

Ah, do you have to plug it in once to bind it? My ps3s have always died before the controllers.

I'll check when I get home, I hardly ever use my PS3. However I do remember binding my PS3 controller to my PS3 on first use when I got new ones.

Ah, do you have to plug it in once to bind it? My ps3s have always died before the controllers.

That is the process for pairing a PS3 controller with the PS3. Push the PS button while the console is on and the controller is connected to USB.

Back