Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is...This Emoji

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously? The word of the year is an emoji? I have seen it all now. :eek:

That’s right – for the first time ever, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is a pictograph, officially called the ‘Face with Tears of Joy’ emoji, though you may know it by other names. There were other strong contenders from a range of fields, outlined below, but this was chosen as the ‘word’ that best reflected the ethos, mood, and preoccupations of 2015.

Since when do pictographs qualify as words?

Next year the word of the year should be a pictograph ascii art of Captain Picard doing a facepalm.

Oxford Dictionaries is a complete joke and has been for a while.

They keep getting attention. They are a joke. Stuff like this just degrades their reputation even further. Might as well be Urban Dictionary, just made up definitions of different shit.

They keep getting attention. They are a joke. Stuff like this just degrades their reputation even further. Might as well be Urban Dictionary, just made up definitions of different shit.

Heh, I'd argue that Urban Dictionary has always been the better site. It tells you what things really mean. :p

They are trying to regain their relevance in a world that left them behind a long time ago...

Seriously? The word of the year is an emoji? I have seen it all now. :eek:

That’s right – for the first time ever, the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is a pictograph, officially called the ‘Face with Tears of Joy’ emoji, though you may know it by other names. There were other strong contenders from a range of fields, outlined below, but this was chosen as the ‘word’ that best reflected the ethos, mood, and preoccupations of 2015.

Idiocracy. People are F-ing dumb.

For a while now dictionaries have been competing for attention by adding slang so they can get a blurb on the morning talk shows and headlines on news sites. But then again, maybe they are just trying to keep pace with the degradation of our schools and colleges.

This year Oxford University Press have partnered with leading mobile technology business SwiftKey to explore frequency and usage statistics for some of the most popular emoji across the world, and 😂 was chosen because it was the most used emoji globally in 2015.

From the article, it sounds like they decided (in advance) that the word of the year would be "emoji", so they just picked the most popular emoji based on SwiftKey.

Guys are better at everything, including being a woman. :D

Fuck yea!

I am reminded of The Artist Formally Known as Prince and his stupid symbol. I'm surprised this is in an English dictionary. You'd think it would require the phonetic alphabet, not some other pictures...

Communication is communication and is constantly evolving.

If anything, a dictionary should be impartial whether or not the direction of a language is good/bad and simply capture where it is going, letting the people decide. I think this actually makes sense, how much communication is now occurring via emoji?

Back