Own a Computer with a DVD Drive? You May Be Owed $10

I don't think I've ever paid more than $25 for an ODD, so I mean if they "Colluded to price fix" they did a really shitty job of it. That said I'll happily submit my minimum of 3 purchases and collect $30 or something in between $0 and $30. I'm sure I can buy something with that.

As for do I still have one in my PC? I mean, why wouldn't I? Sure I almost never use the thing but it isn't like there is any better use of the space, it comes in handy when I need to use optical media for something and it is so cheap it isn't like I really care. I just can't really think of any downsides to having one but I can certainly think of downsides to not having one.

I'm actually more impressed by the fact that the case has 9 5.25" bays. I've never seen a case like that before. I'd have to guess it was designed for 5.25" removable bays more so than DVD drives. Waiting to see the pic where there is 9 5.25" floppy drives in there.

guess you haven't been in the game long enough to remember these:

bWFpbmltYWdlcy9DU0UtQ00tU1RBQ0tFUjgxMC5qcGc=.jpg

Yea yea, I should have gone back and fixed my post. What I meant was I've never seen a case with 9 5.25" bays in a rack mount before. My current tower is a CM Stacker 830 which has 9 bays, but there is definitely no way it's going to fit in a rack. (unless you have like 12U free to stand it on top of a shelf.)

Thank you for the heads up, gonna make me a cool $30. :)

Yes, people still have optical drives in their systems, I have 3 blu-ray burners in my tower & 1 blu-ray burner in my aging laptop. ;)

That's generally how it works. The timing is important and depending on how the settlement is structured it may even provide tax benefits for the companies paying the fines.
IMO, if you only make small punitive damages, then it becomes a legitimate business strategy risk assessment, on the return on investment for illegal practices.

If I were king, I'd abandon these lawsuits entirely, and instead pursue purely criminal charges against the CEOs and board members responsible for colluding in these deals. Otherwise, when its just the business that gets a small ding, who cares? But if you start actually sending FBI agents up to the top floor of their corporate office, pulling the CEO out of the meeting and putting him in handcuffs, and marching him in front of all his employees into jail pending bond, that's much more effective.

We throw people in jail for robbing a 7-11 of $60, which we should, so there's certainly no reason we shouldn't throw people in jail for robbing people of $60 million. Never understood this "but, but, but, he has a nice suit, we can't arrest him! Look, his shirt is blue but his collar is white, can't throw him in jail!"

Yeah I guess... still haven't got my 970 settlement yet that I didn't ask for but signed up for anyway (on a card I no longer own)

@Master_Shake...... why? I mean I remember back in the 90's where we had servers full of optical drives, but WTF does that contraption acomplish? Rip 10 audio cd's or DVD movies at the same time?

exactly!

IMO, if you only make small punitive damages, then it becomes a legitimate business strategy risk assessment, on the return on investment for illegal practices.

If I were king, I'd abandon these lawsuits entirely, and instead pursue purely criminal charges against the CEOs and board members responsible for colluding in these deals. Otherwise, when its just the business that gets a small ding, who cares? But if you start actually sending FBI agents up to the top floor of their corporate office, pulling the CEO out of the meeting and putting him in handcuffs, and marching him in front of all his employees into jail pending bond, that's much more effective.

We throw people in jail for robbing a 7-11 of $60, which we should, so there's certainly no reason we shouldn't throw people in jail for robbing people of $60 million. Never understood this "but, but, but, he has a nice suit, we can't arrest him! Look, his shirt is blue but his collar is white, can't throw him in jail!"
Semantics are annoying (as is my post), however price fixing (in this example) is not the same thing as robbing a 7-11.

I actually ended up getting 2 Amazon gift cards from this as a settlement payment. Came out to about $23 total, which might actually be enough to buy a used DVD drive on eBay if I wanted one. :)

Well, it's too bad that I'm about 5 years too late to cash in on this. I owned probably 5 computers with DVD drives during this period.

I actually bought one of these recently to fit my truenas server into. was too long to fit comfortably under my desk so it's in the garage, empty, sadly. I think it's a stacker 2 though.

I actually ended up getting 2 Amazon gift cards from this as a settlement payment. Came out to about $23 total, which might actually be enough to buy a used DVD drive on eBay if I wanted one. :)
I got 3 payments so far. 2 initially and 1 today, so I'll probably get the 4th one in a few days.
$68.52
$11.42
$20.53 todays payment
Total of a $100.47

I actually bought one of these recently to fit my truenas server into. was too long to fit comfortably under my desk so it's in the garage, empty, sadly. I think it's a stacker 2 though.
Neat I wanted one of those in blue "back in the day" (I love saying that!) but now they are hard to find even a black or silver one and sellers think they are worth their weight in gold!
I got 3 payments so far. 2 initially and 1 today, so I'll probably get the 4th one in a few days.
$68.52
$11.42
$20.53 todays payment
Total of a $100.47

Yep I also got my settlement which came to about $12 for me

Yup, got my sweet sweet "hey there's money left over in the settlement that didn't go to lawyers" email, looks like just over $11 maybe I'll get a Chipotle burrito or something else relatively tame and not fun with it!

Back