Overwhelmed with the cell phone market.

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey... I have cingular and my phone is going out or something. All people hear is a very static and choppy voice coming from me. Regardless, I need a new phone.

What's the best cingular (SIM) compatible phone I can get out there for around 100 bucks? I want to be able to put mp3's on it for ringtones and stuff. A fast interface would be nice too.

just wait for the iphone.. :)

I don't think he want's to spend $500 for it though.

I don't have any recommendation FOR a phone, but I will say to stay away from LG phones. I hvae a C2000 that is just plain crap. My sister used to work for a cellular call center and she says she probably heard more problems and complaints from LG phones than any other. She didn't bother telling me that until AFTER I got my C2000.

The biggest problem I have with it is that I don't receive the majority of my calls. It just goes straight to voicemail on people. However it will let me know that I have a new voicemail as soon as someone leaves it. I had it "reset" twice from customer service and it worked fine for a few days and the went back to acting up. When I call someone it'll take up 30seconds before it starts ringing, or sometmies it'll just disconnect me. Cingular wouldn't take it back because after they did another "reset" on it it work fine when they tested it.

If you dont already have a contract im sure you can get a razr for around 100$. If you are in contract I would suggest going to ebay, and looking around there. I buy all my phones through ebay (nib only) and save a hell of a lot of money compared to what cingular likes to charge for in contract upgrades.

I second using eBay. I've purchased my last 3 wireless phones there and saved a ton of $$. I'm looking at a new Blackberry, right now. Cingular charges as much as $399 with a 2-year contract extension. eBay lists Blackberry PDAs at half that absurd price.

Whats your usage; buisness, personal, family? If I was a Verison customer I'd go with the Samsung SCH-i730 looked at right [H]ere. For ATT (cinglar), I have a razzr and dont really care for it (poor audio). My wants are personal, WiFi, High-bandwidth data connect.

My recommendation - ebay a Motorola SLVR L7c.

Goto www.phonescoop.com and type in the phone model in top right to get reviews. All the reviews end up with a general theme for the good and bad about the phone and is usually spot on.

That samsung i730 has been out forever which is why it has dropped to 99.99. It run windows mobile 2003 which means that if you lose battery charge, your device is wiped clean and you loose any data. When you charge it back up the entire OS is reset to what it is when it comes out the box. Great phone for the price as it has a slick screen, wifi and so on but not the most practical phone at the end of the day. Battery life blew too so extended is necessary.

Ebay is a decent place for a phone, but you may also want to check out amazon and overstock.com. Though amazon can have these bizarre service fees at times, depending where you are. Overstock was pretty good for me though, and I ended up saving much more than going through any other site, but their inventory changes all the time, so you might troll it for a week or so.

For ~100, you cant get a good unlock gsm phone. You will need to spend 200-350 for a good unlock gsm phone on ebay and some other retailer.

Ebay is a decent place for a phone

Personally, I've had some real issues getting phones off of Ebay. I always order "retail, unopened" products, but they have inexorably been defective in some way. I've had to send back or re-sell all of them and ended up ponying up the cash to buy a new plan so that I can get a decent phone.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but wanted to share my experiences.

Personally, I've had some real issues getting phones off of Ebay. I always order "retail, unopened" products, but they have inexorably been defective in some way. I've had to send back or re-sell all of them and ended up ponying up the cash to buy a new plan so that I can get a decent phone.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but wanted to share my experiences.

Yeah you're right though, it's total luck of the draw. I got a couple good phones for my family through ebay that cost only $10-30 and they work fine, but one of them was basically unusable and I just gave it to a kid as a toy. :p

I have a Samsung d807 on Cingular, and it works quite well. I think you can get it for around 100 now. PLenty of space for ringtones, a really nice 1.3mp camera, and a Micro SD card for putting mp3s and whatnot on it.

Back