Overwatch Pro is in Trouble for Livestreamed "Racism"

The OWL is run by a bunch of holier-than-thou idiots who forget that 90% of their players are under 25, and at least 50% under 20.. Being PC is mostly older generation types who are out-of-touch and can't understand some humour, because god forbid that anyone should get offended.

Couldn't disagree more.

Young males have always used "shock value" as part of their inside jokes. This generation is no different from previous ones. That doesn't make it right, and eventually they too grow up and gain some perspective and realize it is not OK to poke fun at the expense of other cultures and races.

Like with everything, there are always going to be some people whoa are a little bit too sensitive on the issue, but that doesn't change the fact that it is not cool, and never acceptable to make racist or sexist jokes.

The goal is always to be inclusive and never say or do anything that can make someone feel ostracized, alienated or like an outsider, and if you don't realize this, then you just have some growing up to do.

ShockedKirk.JPG

For people that don't understand the racism tilting your eyes up is Chinese and he mocked them by saying he was Korean. There is nothing Asian's hate more than being called Korean.

Interesting. First time I've ever heard this. I'm half Asian (Thai), wife and her entire family are Chinese.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was intentionally funny on your part, but I almost spit my coffee out of my nose reading this.

It was a joke, but I forget that not everyone is surrounded by Asian techies 24x7 and hears the way they rag on Koreans. When I went to UCB, I had to take a culture studies course and the instructor was trying to show how you can't tell someone's origin from a picture (or some shit). She showed this Asian guy and everyone says "he's Korean" without a pause. The instructor was like "how does everyone know he's Korean" and the class being about 80% Asian, just opened up with "he's got fucked up hair", his eyes and so on. A Korean friend of mine, who was taking the class as well, was just laughing while the instructor was getting mad because she felt the class was being racist. I'll be honest I have no idea, what the issue is with Koreans, I've heard a lot stereotypes that could be applied to a lot of people. A lot of it just seems to be humorous ribbing, although in Japan there was a female celebrity who turned out to be "secretly" Korean and it caused a huge scandal, because she didn't set off their Korean radar detector.

but that doesn't change the fact that it is not cool, and never acceptable to make racist or sexist jokes.

The goal is always to be inclusive and never say or do anything that can make someone feel ostracized, alienated or like an outsider, and if you don't realize this, then you just have some growing up to do.

This is a very short sighted statement, the whole purpose of jokes is to point out things that are real and human about all of us. Sure generalizations are inherently false when applied to an individual, but they do have grains of truth embedded in them and is usually the basis for even racist or sexist jokes.

Claiming that jokes of any kind are never acceptable, even racist or sexist one, is the same as advocating censorship. Do you think Blazing Saddles is unacceptable? That Count Dankula should go to prison? That PewDiePie is a Nazi?

If a person cannot take a joke (i'm not talking about continued harassment) then that person needs to reflect on himself/herself why it is that joke bothered them so much. Ultimately people need to accept who and what they are, ignore the outrage machine, and take responsibility for their own actions (and clean their rooms while there at it).

All these pussies in PC gaming these days...the stuff that was being said in voice chat and text in BF2 on servers like Robert Reed's House Of Aids 24/7 Road to Jalalabad was like 100's of times worse nonstop on a daily basis and no one blinked an eye. SMH

View attachment 64179

Interesting. First time I've ever heard this. I'm half Asian (Thai), wife and her entire family is Chinese.

It's the first time you have heard of it because it's not true. Being called a Korean is not considered derogatory. Only the Japanese would have such a reaction. Being an Asian who grew up in Asia I can tell you Asians are fucking racists to all races equally. I wouldn't be surprised if the poster you quoted witnessed a single event of Koreans being ragged on and assumed it applies universally to all Asians.

I know as mostly Caucasian males you probably don't have a lot of experience with Asian cultures outside of anime or your local PF Chang's. Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese are ridiculously xenophobic. It's a cultural thing owing to the fact all of their societies have largely been absent of other races for generations. So for a someone to call a Chinese a Korea is the same as calling a Purto Rican a Mexican or if one of the good ole boys down south were called black.

I suspect owing to the fact that a large percentage of e-sports viewership and followers hail from one of those cultures they would be quick to discipline.

Maybe that's just my institutionalized views showing inherent prejudice. Take with a grain of salt on a couple of pennies.

all this shit is overblown as usual. And as usual political correctness can go fuck itself. they pissed me off long ago when they butchered Looney Tunes cartoons. Everyone grew up on that stuff and it was perfectly fine for generations(yes generations plural) yet all of a sudden NOW we have a problem. Im so over this shit any more.

all this shit is overblown as usual. And as usual political correctness can go fuck itself. they pissed me off long ago when they butchered Looney Tunes cartoons. Everyone grew up on that stuff and it was perfectly fine for generations(yes generations plural) yet all of a sudden NOW we have a problem. Im so over this shit any more.

This just isn't true. People may have put up with it because they had to but don't think this is all of sudden a new thing.

Couldn't disagree more.

Young males have always used "shock value" as part of their inside jokes. This generation is no different from previous ones. That doesn't make it right, and eventually they too grow up and gain some perspective and realize it is not OK to poke fun at the expense of other cultures and races.

Like with everything, there are always going to be some people whoa are a little bit too sensitive on the issue, but that doesn't change the fact that it is not cool, and never acceptable to make racist or sexist jokes.

This is nauseatingly spineless and weak. The kind of thing someone who proudly identifies as a "male feminist" would say. Your tyrannical, constricting, censorious worldview you want to impose on others literally breaks down cohesion and impedes coexistance, wrapping life itself up into an unfun, rigid, and grotesque landscape of eggshells to be walked on. Of course, this is the desired outcome of the sort of neo-Marxist agenda that pushes that sort of erosive agenda on society. Quite frankly, your post sounds like something a closet racist would say as they try to virtue signal to the world how good they are. Meanwhile, over here in the real world, racist jokes can be hilarious and a way, at least for men, that people can strengthen relationships and bond over, despite being of different races/ethnicities. Same can be said for sexist jokes. I'd love to have you meet some female friends of mine that would call you out for that post/mindset.

But, more importantly, as others have pointed out, you are virtue signaling and trying to be offended on behalf of those who aren't offended in the way you are pretending to be, i.e. Asians can be racist as fuck, just like Blacks, Hispanics, and all the other groups that groveling, sniveling White Progressives refuse to grant agency to (assuming you aren't a neo-Marxist loon who thinks "Only whites can be racist".)

This is a very short sighted statement, the whole purpose of jokes is to point out things that are real and human about all of us. Sure generalizations are inherently false when applied to an individual, but they do have grains of truth embedded in them and is usually the basis for even racist or sexist jokes.

Claiming that jokes of any kind are never acceptable, even racist or sexist one, is the same as advocating censorship. Do you think Blazing Saddles is unacceptable? That Count Dankula should go to prison? That PewDiePie is a Nazi?

If a person cannot take a joke (i'm not talking about continued harassment) then that person needs to reflect on himself/herself why it is that joke bothered them so much. Ultimately people need to accept who and what they are, ignore the outrage machine, and take responsibility for their own actions (and clean their rooms while there at it).

There is a huge difference between a racist joke (not acceptable) and a joke about racism (probably acceptable depending on the joke)

The core principle is to never put down or denigrate or - even in humor - suggest that someone is inferior based on their gebitaöia or the color of their skin.

I'm not suggesting they should be illegal. I tend to believe in the importance of our constitutional free speech. Constitutional free speech protects against persecution under the law for what you say. It does not protect against the social consequences of people not liking you or not buying your product based on what you say.

Those social consequences are perfectly appropriate in response to someone saying or doing something socially unacceptable.

Last edited:
Hopefully even these idiots with gender studies and other useless degrees can get jobs and start paying taxes rather than being outraged all the time.

From the picture included its an asian guy mocking himself in an attempt to exaggerate the differences in culture to somebody. Not always cool but hes mocking himself.

Himself.

Margret cho told that when she dressed up as Jong il or jong un, she was lambasted for dressing up as a Korean.

Shes Korean.

:confused:

For people that don't understand the racism tilting your eyes up is Chinese and he mocked them by saying he was Korean. There is nothing Asian's hate more than being called Korean.

How is it racism when a korean guy mocks himself.....in a hateful way???

This is nauseatingly spineless and weak.

This coming from someone hiding behind an obvious secondary forum account with two posts as to not show who he really is is amusing :p

Afraid to stand behind our opinions are we? :p

But, more importantly, as others have pointed out, you are virtue signaling and trying to be offended on behalf of those who aren't offended in the way you are pretending to be, i.e. Asians can be racist as fuck, just like Blacks, Hispanics, and all the other groups that groveling, sniveling White Progressives refuse to grant agency to (assuming you aren't a neo-Marxist loon who thinks "Only whites can be racist".)

I'm not afraid to call out racism wherever I see it. Right now there aren't too many non whites racially stereotyping whites on here in this forum, so I have had no reason to take a stand.

A lot of racist comments are made only because we're too desensitized to the F bomb and that's not insulting enough. So they have to dig harder, since the insult options are limited. Not saying there is no racism, but if being called a "turd" was more insulting, then there would be a lot less racist comments.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/slant-eyed

It's only been around for the last century or so.

Edit: For a lot of people (especially those who would use it as an insult) it wouldn't be specific to chinese, it would apply to anyone 'Asian'-looking.

LMAO, I was referring specifically to the "There is nothing Asian's hate more than being called Korean." :facepalm:

I can see how doing slanty eyes with your fingers could be offensive to people, but never heard of calling someone "Korean" as an insult.

As a member of the Asian gaming community (including Overwatch), I honestly couldn't care less about either of these "racist" slights. Folks would live much happier lives if they stop allowing complete strangers to have so much control over their emotions. Can't stop all the stupid in the world, but you do have control over your own emotions. Or maybe I'm just dead inside. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This coming from someone hiding behind an obvious secondary forum account with two posts as to not show who he really is is amusing :p

I'm not afraid to call out racism wherever I see it. Right now there aren't too many non whites racially stereotyping whites on here in this forum, so I have had no reason to take a stand.

White Progressive with little to no experience having meaningful relationships or exposure, especially growing up, with non-whites (which is perfectly ok, by the way), much less lived in areas majority non-white or highly "diverse". That your retort was based on what you supposedly see in this forum of all places shows it. That your retort was based solely on the scenario of a non-White racially stereotyping a White, while completely ignoring the possibility of a non-White racially stereotyping a non-White shows it. That you took the opportunity to pat yourself on the back and virtue signal about your "calling out racism" shows it. (I honestly doubt you have the impetus or impulse to call out non-White racists)

You are playing out the increasingly common Leftist caricature that is driving Americans away from the Left side of the political spectrum to the Right. The stolen mantle of the loathsome moral busybody that used to characterize the sanctimonious Christian Right. The stolen mantle, decorated with even more tyranny and censorship, and now used as a weapon against the rest of America who want nothing to do with your moral crusade.

Perhaps you're even projecting your own moral failings onto others in an attempt at absolution.

Social Jihadist Warrior, much?

You are pretending that it is a "racist stereotype" that Asians have slanted eyes and taking offense on behalf of people who didn't ask you to, White Savior. You are literally offended by biology, Round-Eye. More importantly, did you even watch the video?

Last edited:
White Progressive with little to no experience having meaningful relationships or exposure, especially growing up, with non-whites (which is perfectly ok, by the way), much less lived in areas majority non-white or highly "diverse". That your retort is based on what you supposedly see in this forum of all places shows it. That your retort was based solely on the scenario of a non-White racially stereotyping a White, while completely ignoring the possibility of a non-White racially stereotyping a non-White shows it. That you took the opportunity to pat yourself off the back and virtue signal about your "calling out racism" shows it. (I honestly doubt you have the impetus or impulse to call out non-white racists)

You are playing out the increasingly common Leftist caricature that is driving Americans away from the Left side of the political spectrum to the Right. The stolen mantle of the loathsome moral busybody that used to characterize the sanctimonious Christian Right. The stolen mantle, decorated with even more tyranny and censorship, and now used as a weapon against the rest of America who want nothing to do with your moral crusade.

Perhaps you're even projecting your own moral failings on to others in an attempt at absolution.

Social Jihadist Warrior, much?

You are pretending that it is a "racist stereotype" that Asians have slanted eyes and taking offense on behalf of people who didn't ask you to, White Savior. You are literally offended by biology, Round-Eye. More importantly, did you even watch the video?

Got it, being opposed to racism is a leftist SJW caricature and not what has been sold to everyone as the one right way forward for decades. (for good reason)

Wow,

I think you might need to crawl back into whatever echo chamber you just popped out of, because that shit is just plain nuts.

Also, for the record, I have said nothing about slanty eyes, though I do find the comment somewhat distasteful.

I don't have time for this foolish nonsense anymore.

Got it, being opposed to racism is a leftist SJW caricature and not what has been sold to everyone as the one right way forward for decades. (for good reason)

Wow,

Sometimes I read this kind of stuff online and I just have to hope that it's not real. Having some kindness and respect for other people is a spineless SJW agenda? It was simply how I was raised.

Sometimes I read this kind of stuff online and I just have to hope that it's not real. Having some kindness and respect for other people is a spineless SJW agenda? It was simply how I was raised.

I guess we were raised to be Marxist SJW Feminist Extremists!

Oh no! My whole life has been a lie!

face-with-tears-of-joy_1f602.png

but that doesn't change the fact that it is not cool, and never acceptable to make racist or sexist jokes.

You are downright laughable at times.

Cuz I'd be hard pressed for you to find even a single person from this list that hasn't made a sexist or racist joke:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comedians

From the picture included its an asian guy mocking himself in an attempt to exaggerate the differences in culture to somebody. Not always cool but hes mocking himself.

Himself.

Margret cho told that when she dressed up as Jong il or jong un, she was lambasted for dressing up as a Korean.

Shes Korean.

:confused:
First of all, f##k this guy. He is not Korean, just look at him. Multiple sources say he is an Isareli Colombian.
https://www.esportsearnings.com/players/40620-eqo-josh-corona
http://liquipedia.net/overwatch/Eqo
https://compete.kotaku.com/overwatch-leagues-eqo-faces-punishment-after-making-sla-1824258219

And you seem to lack reading comprehension. Here read it again:
‘"I'm Korean," Corona said during the stream, responding to someone who pointed out that he isn't, after which he used his fingers to pull back the corners of his eyes.’

And to the people who don’t think this is racist, you’re probably white.

I’m not going to waste my time and get into it but racism exists whether you acknowledge it or not. And yes, people discriminate on race all the time. And no, I don’t get offended easily.

Last edited:
First of all, f##k this guy. He is not Korean, just look at him. Multiple sources say he is an Isareli Colombian.
https://compete.kotaku.com/overwatch-leagues-eqo-faces-punishment-after-making-sla-1824258219

‘"I'm Korean," Corona said during the stream, responding to someone who pointed out that he isn't, after which he used his fingers to pull back the corners of his eyes.’

I’m not going to waste my time and get into it but racism exists whether you acknowledge it or not. And yes, people discriminate on race all the time. And no, I don’t get offended easily.

Not sure if your being hyperbolic, but the yellow portion of your comment is indeed racist by definition and thus proves your following sentence.

For the most part, (though I haven't been in the fray to deeply) I respect the discourse in the HardForum since it does not devolve into name calling readily.

There is a huge difference between a racist joke (not acceptable) and a joke about racism (probably acceptable depending on the joke)

The core principle is to never put down or denigrate or - even in humor - suggest that someone is inferior based on their gebitaöia or the color of their skin.

I'm not suggesting they should be illegal. I tend to believe in the importance of our constitutional free speech. Constitutional free speech protects against persecution under the law for what you say. It does not protect against the social consequences of people not liking you or not buying your product based on what you say.

Those social consequences are perfectly appropriate in response to someone saying or doing something socially unacceptable.

Hey just reading thru my comment, wanted to say i should not have insinuated that you were promoting censorship.

I will say that people are too eager to call the slightest offensive comment or act as racist and is the basis to why i have my stance that racist or sexist jokes may be acceptable at certain times and context and audience play a big role in this.

I agree completely though with the remainder or your point of view.

:cool:

Clear facts change things. I based my points on what was related without clarity. Thought he could actually be. Many times something is thought to be racist when its not. Its the over sensitivities about things said - even within someones own tribe - thought to be racist. Its happened before and my "Cho" example is a clear point of reference. People are too fast to join in to the current bandwagon without thinking that there may be another answer.

Your update shows really f***cked up behavior and he should be called on it.

BTW, you could have just posted the links to additional info stating its doubtful that its the same as the comedians example. I will still defer to its "questionable" than saying that it is unless its a gross example.

Yes. Racism exists and will only get better if its caught when it happens.

Wow,

I think you might need to crawl back into whatever echo chamber you just popped out of, because that shit is just plain nuts.

Also, for the record, I have said nothing about slanty eyes, though I do find the comment somewhat distasteful.

I don't have time for this foolish nonsense anymore.

You're handling yourself like Kathy Newman did when she embarrassed herself while interviewing Jordan Peterson.

"So what you're saying is..." Lol, no, Kathy, that's not what I'm saying :ROFLMAO:

And, yes, you called the "slanty eyes" gesture racist in your virtue signaling fervor in this thread about a guy being called "racist" by Social Jihadist Warriors because he said he was Korean and made the "slanty eyes" gesture to mimic the literal biological appearance of Asians.

So racism exists, you don't say? Next you're going to try and convince me that slavery that occurred long before any of us were alive is a bad thing, aren't you?

Are you so far gone that you think only Whites can be racist? You clearly have a disdain for Whites. Let's see how deep it goes.

Couldn't disagree more.

I disagree with that. They are just jokes. People need to not be so thin skinned; it is pretty ridiculous these days when any little thing can offend some people. Where does it end?

I disagree with that. They are just jokes. People need to not be so thin skinned; it is pretty ridiculous these days when any little thing can offend some people. Where does it end?

It will end during the Triggaclysm of 2020. Where millions of snowflakes will cry out all at once, shit themselves, and then, silence.

Last edited:
But the slant-eye gesture is not something new that people are just getting triggered by now, it's something that has a history of being a racist gesture against East Asian people.

It's basically the equivalent of the "Chink in the armor" saying that got some journalists in trouble in regards to Jeremy Lin a few years ago.

But the slant-eye gesture is not something new that people are just getting triggered by now, it's something that has a history of being a racist gesture against East Asian people.

It's basically the equivalent of the "Chink in the armor" saying that got some journalists in trouble in regards to Jeremy Lin a few years ago.

"Chink in the armor" is not racist. You're really just proving my point. Stop capitulating to Social Jihadist Warriors and their faux outrage. It is literally destroying Western civilization.

Reactions: c3k
like this
"Chink in the armor" is not racist. You're really just proving my point. Stop capitulating to Social Jihadist Warriors and their faux outrage. It is literally destroying Western civilization.

Context is important. The journalists thought they were being sly (wink wink) when they used it on Jeremy Lin.

Context is important. The journalists thought they were being sly (wink wink) when they used it on Jeremy Lin.
According to who?? The perpetually offended? The crybullies who get off on exerting power over others by attacking people and destroying livelihoods?

Of the headline writer Anthony Federico said:
He said he has used the phrase "at least 100 times" in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story.

Of Jeremy Lin said:
He said he didn't think anyone meant to be racist. “They've apologized and so, from my end, I don't care anymore,” he said. “You have to learn to forgive and I don't even think that was intentional.

You are either engaging in this same abhorrent Social Jihadist Warrior behavior wilfully or you are naively encouraging it.

Stop it, immediately.

Last edited:
Back