Overwatch Pink Mercy Skin Raises Almost $10 Million for Breast Cancer Research

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
On May 5th, Blizzard announced a campaign in which Overwatch fans could buy a special charity skin for Mercy to support the BCRF and their mission to end breast cancer. The effort seems to be pretty successful so far, as a tweet this week revealed that nearly $10 million worth of skins have been sold. (The skin costs $15, so about 650,000 people chipped in.)

Blizzard is also selling a special pink Mercy shirt in their stores, but sales of that product have not been disclosed at this time. 100% of those proceeds from both of these items are going directly to the BCRF, despite some initial claims that Sony was taking a percentage of sales made via PlayStation consoles.

Of the total raised I wonder what percentage will actually be used to help people.

That and Blizzard is going to donate this on people's behalf, securing a sweet write off for themselves.

Of the total raised I wonder what percentage will actually be used to help people.
This why I hate the idea of donating to these big charities. CEOs for the bigger charities make 6+ figures. Like less then half these charities taken go to people they suppose to help.

i personally got this.

having a mom pass from this and knowing several others who currently have... anything to try and find a cure. i honestly hope no one has to watch X person in life die from this.

aaaaannnnddd i play the shit out of this game so....

I work in the cancer research industry and I bought this skin. If I had a 2nd account I would have bought it for it too.

There’s a lot of charities where not a lot of money goes into actual research but this one is pretty good. If you’re ever wondering about a charity go here (I currently have bcrf listed but you can search any charity you want):

https://www.charitynavigator.org/in...ancer+research+foundation+&bay=search.results

What did he say? MONORAIL!

Edit: just found this post here, was supposed to be in Musk's magic 1$ super transit.

Last edited:
Personally, if I was promoting this event, I would also have the games configured to have only the women of Overwatch available as heroes.

Of course, I'm also the guy who believes that at least 55% of the money raised by a 501(c) non-profit should go directly to the established mission of the charity. I understand that there is overhead and salaries to be paid, but that overhead should be as low of a number as possible.

Personally, if I was promoting this event, I would also have the games configured to have only the women of Overwatch available as heroes.

Of course, I'm also the guy who believes that at least 55% of the money raised by a 501(c) non-profit should go directly to the established mission of the charity. I understand that there is overhead and salaries to be paid, but that overhead should be as low of a number as possible.
Yeah, god forbid the company that's using it as a tax break gives up anything for charity.

Back