Overwatch On Sale For $35

HardOCP News

[H] News
Overwatch is on sale for $34.99 on Amazon right now. This is the lowest price I've ever seen for this game, must be a little early Black Friday pricing. At this price, I'm definitely in for one.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
lol was just about to post this, its probably a price match of Best Buy, but still cheaper to buy on BestBuy if you have Gamer's Club Unlocked, which brings it to $28

I am pretty sure $28 is the lowest we will see it this holiday season, it will be on sale at BestBuy on BF but I've heard GCU will not apply to Black Friday deals (we'll see if that holds true)

Overwatch $35 ($28 with GCU) all platforms PC, PS4, XB1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-overwatch-20161118

Rise of the Tomb Raider is $29.99 on Steam through this weekend and I just pulled the trigger on that. FML.

I'd love to get in on this... however with BF1 and GTA5 still taking up what little free time I have for gaming... I'll probably wait. Looks fun though, everyone that's played it raves about it.

Nice.

My stepson has had interest in this title. I want to get it for him for his birthday, but I am always apprehensive about online games, considering he is only 8.

Does anyone know what the community is like? Lots of older kids profanity and indecency, or is it mostly younger kids and more civil?

If I have to, does the game have options to disable in-game communication so he can play without being exposed to that garbage?

Nice.

My stepson has had interest in this title. I want to get it for him for his birthday, but I am always apprehensive about online games, considering he is only 8.

Does anyone know what the community is like? Lots of older kids profanity and indecency, or is it mostly younger kids and more civil?

If I have to, does the game have options to disable in-game communication so he can play without being exposed to that garbage?

Get him PvZ or something more kid friendly. FPS like these are on the more serious side, or at least don't let him use a mic with it ie. no talking. With games like this how do you avoid the toxicness of online play? I dunno, so I didn't let my son play these till he was a lil older, 12 ish. On that note I got one for him for xmas.

It's also free to play starting today (through 11/21), so you can try before you buy.

Get him PvZ or something more kid friendly. FPS like these are on the more serious side, or at least don't let him use a mic with it ie. no talking. With games like this how do you avoid the toxicness of online play? I dunno, so I didn't let my son play these till he was a lil older, 12 ish. On that note I got one for him for xmas.

Yeah, I have him playing Counter-Strike, but I edited the config files so he doesn't get any voice or text chats. He just plays casual and arms race anyway so it's not like he needs to talk strats.

I was under the impression that Overwatch was more of a kids game, judging by the cartoonish style, and that it might have a more appropriate community, but I guess that isn't the case? He'll be turning 9 shortly, and I'd be giving him the game for his 9th birthday if I went through with it.

Does it have console/config or other options to disable any voice or text chats?

My son has been playing L4D2 since he was younger than that, so it really depends on your kid. I muted anyone trying to talk to him and told him only to play singleplayer until he got older, but then again, minecraft wasn't the monster it was now. I'd start with Minecraft and see how'd he do with that, especially since teamwork is fairly vital to the game. Terraria and Starbound were staples in my house for a while with my kids.

My son has been playing L4D2 since he was younger than that, so it really depends on your kid. I muted anyone trying to talk to him and told him only to play singleplayer until he got older, but then again, minecraft wasn't the monster it was now. I'd start with Minecraft and see how'd he do with that, especially since teamwork is fairly vital to the game. Terraria and Starbound were staples in my house for a while with my kids.

Sounds like you sat behind him and watched him whenever he played?

That is quite the time investment, which I'm not sure I'm able to do.

At first, yes. He did a lot of watching us at first then we left him on his own and he was good about staying in single player.

A deathmatch type game where teamwork is less important would probably be a good start and Overwatch would be a good place to start, especially if you disable chatting, which i believe you can.

The good thing is my eldest is now 13 and my middle son is 10 and they now play coop together on different PCs. Portal 2 is a fantastic game to build up teamwork and multiplay.

not to be a party pooper, but the online community becomes a bore when people let their kids play and the servers are full of kids. Not saying your kids are bad, but the general audience of kid players online can be annoying. Get them some single player games until they can handle an FPS imo

not to be a party pooper, but the online community becomes a bore when people let their kids play and the servers are full of kids. Not saying your kids are bad, but the general audience of kid players online can be annoying. Get them some single player games until they can handle an FPS imo

Depends on the kids I guess? If they are elementary school age, maybe I'll stand a chance against them! But if they're pre-teen or older they will probably skullrape me and teabag my corpse.

Well, with skill-based matchmaking like in CS:GO this shouldn't be an issue.

That, and Overwatch really looks like a children's game to me. I didn't realize there were so many adults playing it.

Yeah, I have him playing Counter-Strike, but I edited the config files so he doesn't get any voice or text chats. He just plays casual and arms race anyway so it's not like he needs to talk strats.

I was under the impression that Overwatch was more of a kids game, judging by the cartoonish style, and that it might have a more appropriate community, but I guess that isn't the case? He'll be turning 9 shortly, and I'd be giving him the game for his 9th birthday if I went through with it.

Does it have console/config or other options to disable any voice or text chats?

I've been playing since release. There's an included language filter and you can definitely disable voice. Comp mode can be somewhat toxic, but casual has become pretty tame.

Well, with skill-based matchmaking like in CS:GO this shouldn't be an issue.

That, and Overwatch really looks like a children's game to me. I didn't realize there were so many adults playing it.

It's being marketed to my son and he's in the 5th grade because there was some overwatch poster type stuff in the scholastic pamphlet last month, which he ordered.

Hmm.

I've never bought a game from Amazon. How does it work? Do I get a key I need to enter somewhere? Do I need to be logged in with Amazon to use it?

lol was just about to post this, its probably a price match of Best Buy, but still cheaper to buy on BestBuy if you have Gamer's Club Unlocked, which brings it to $28

I am pretty sure $28 is the lowest we will see it this holiday season, it will be on sale at BestBuy on BF but I've heard GCU will not apply to Black Friday deals (we'll see if that holds true)

Overwatch $35 ($28 with GCU) all platforms PC, PS4, XB1
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-overwatch-20161118

What is this GCU?

Actually, hmm. Free weekend this weekend. This means I can test it for myself and see what I think...

Eww... But that means I have to install Origin. I swore I would never stoop to that low on my machine...

Actually, hmm. Free weekend this weekend. This means I can test it for myself and see what I think...

Eww... But that means I have to install Origin. I swore I would never stoop to that low on my machine...

Not Origin, that's EA. You need the Battle.net / Blizzard client.

Overwatch doesn't require Origin, it needs the Blizzard client.

Yeah, what he said.

What is this GCU?
Gamer's Club Unlocked, grants you 20% off any new (not used) games for 2 years including sale and clearance titles. Really great because it works for collector's editions too.

In addition, BestBuy frequently offers $10 in reward carts for major game preorders giving you effective $38 prices on $60 msrp new games.

Costs $30 for 2 years used to cost $60.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy/gamers-club/pcmcat338600050004.c?id=pcmcat338600050004

Amazon has copied this program with their prime pre-order 20% off but it is not nearly as consistent and uniform in application.

So I tried the game in the free weekend. Slightly suggestive poses and outfits on some heroes and ridiculous overt flirtatiousness aside, it seems mostly harmless.

I joined a few games, no one was talking at all (maybe it's because it is the free weekend and no one knows how?)

Personally, I absolutely hated the game. I've never been one for senseless fast paced run and gun games, but that doesn't really matter. I'm not the one who is going to be playing it :p

I think I'll go ahead and buy it for him, and just disable the voice and censor text if it becomes a problem.

So I tried the game in the free weekend. Slightly suggestive poses and outfits on some heroes and ridiculous overt flirtatiousness aside, it seems mostly harmless.

I joined a few games, no one was talking at all (maybe it's because it is the free weekend and no one knows how?)

Personally, I absolutely hated the game. I've never been one for senseless fast paced run and gun games, but that doesn't really matter. I'm not the one who is going to be playing it :p

I think I'll go ahead and buy it for him, and just disable the voice and censor text if it becomes a problem.
It is much mroe than a fast paced run and gun game. So much more to it than that.

And over flirtatiousness? Have you seen what high school girls wear to school these days? Have you heard the mouths on 10/12/14 year olds lately?

I see why everyone keeps talking about snowflakes in this country.............

I've never bought a game from Amazon. How does it work? Do I get a key I need to enter somewhere? Do I need to be logged in with Amazon to use it?

Just completed the purchase from Amazon. Once the purchase is completed, you will be presented with your code. (e.g. AB1CDE-2FGH-IJKLMN-OP4Q-RSTUVW). From there, you go to http://battle.net/code, log in, and enter in that code. BOOM! You own your copy of Overwatch.

The full product name is Overwatch: Origin Edition. Here is the dictionary definition of Origin.

Besides, it's a Blizzard game, so you install Battle.net. It's Electronic Arts that has Origin, and I understand your feeling about EA.

How long does this deal last? I'm hoping till after 21st so I can decide after a free weekend.

How long does this deal last? I'm hoping till after 21st so I can decide after a free weekend.

It's for a disc so if you buy and set for 5 day delivery you have 3 days to cancel. And you get a buck e-credit from amazon.

Nice.

Overwatch is certainly toxic, mostly due to how influential each player on your team is to the final outcome of the game. One person can single handedly cause your team to lose and in doing so will incur the full wrath of everyone on his team. You can mute all comms which would probably be the way to go. Considering he is only 8 and the skill curve for this game is quite high, chances are he will probably place near the bottom of the totem poll of players which may be other young children who wont give such a hard time. I really dont know what it's like down there, just that the game attempts to pair you up with people of similar skill.

My daughter bought the game directly from Blizzard and it was $40. The rest of the retailers had it for $60.

Is this the $60 version or the $40 version which probably lacks ad ons.

Overwatch is certainly toxic, mostly due to how influential each player on your team is to the final outcome of the game. One person can single handedly cause your team to lose and in doing so will incur the full wrath of everyone on his team. You can mute all comms which would probably be the way to go. Considering he is only 8 and the skill curve for this game is quite high, chances are he will probably place near the bottom of the totem poll of players which may be other young children who wont give such a hard time. I really dont know what it's like down there, just that the game attempts to pair you up with people of similar skill.
I tried it this weekend for free

Found it too easy?
But wouldn't go comp anyway (can't at the moment too new)
Still
Mmm
Small maps

The game is also available through Blizzard's shop for $35.... same as Amazon.

$35 is still a bit too expensive for this game, but certainly better than the normal $60.

(Before someone nitpicks.... I have the .99 thingie).

My daughter bought the game directly from Blizzard and it was $40. The rest of the retailers had it for $60.

Is this the $60 version or the $40 version which probably lacks ad ons.
the $35 deal is actually the $60 version (origins edition), you bought the regular edition. origins edition includes skins for OW and other blizzard games

the $35 deal is actually the $60 version (origins edition), you bought the regular edition. origins edition includes skins for OW and other blizzard games
Thanks for spelling out the differences.

I played it yesterday and thought it was okay. Reminds me of Team Fortress 2 which I figure I can probably learn to like but I never played it long enough to get into.

Blizzard has done so well on this game.

I remember people panning it so bad when it was first announced, but now look at it.

An official gaming league later, i think they hit the mark.

Is there any official way to tell how many people are playing?

I know it was in the hundreds of thousands concurrently when it came out bu I really don't find match making that quick compared to COD games which makes me wonder.

Steam publishes their stats of how many people are playing the top 100 games but no one else reports those stats as far as I know (Origin, uPlay, Microsoft store, battle.net).

Back