Overscan in Windows 7 with GTX 260 / resolution and scaling problem

xxshawnxx

Weaksauce
Hey Everyone! Title says it all. I have the LG246WP monitor and have tried everything and still can't get Windows 7 to recognize my display as a monitor instead of an 'HDTV'. The overscan shows about a 1.5 inch black bar on the right side of my monitor and a 1/5th inch black bar at the bottom.

I've tried:

1. Registry hack found on other forums to disable HDCP. (didn't work. But, this worked in Vista64 though)
2. Installing Nvidia drivers (from the 170's to the new 185 beta's), rivatuner, etc...(didn't work)
3. Downloading latest Nvidia GTX260 from Windows update (didn't work)
4. The only semi-okay result is by uninstalling the nvidia drivers from the add/remove software section in control panel. All this does is let me go back to full resolution 1920x1200 without overscan. But, the performance is choppy since the card isn't being utilitzed thoroughly via drivers.

In other words, do any of you experts know how to fix this? THANKS :(

Vista drivers should work for Win7? What drivers are you using, the Vista drivers, or the WIn7 drivers from Windows update?

Hey Ramp-

I've tried both the Vista drivers and the updated Nvidia W7 drivers through Windows update. Neither fix the overscan I'm getting. The only thing that works (temporarily) is uninstalling the Nvidia Drivers through add/remove programs in the control panel. But, when that happens, the overscan goes away, BUT the GTX 260 doesn't perform because the drivers aren't present.

So far, I've spent over 10 hours trying to figure this out. Sucks! ;)

File a bug against windows. There's another thread here talking about the same problem. Could be a issue in Windows 7 that needs to be addressed by MS. Its still in Beta, so issues like these need to be reported now, before Win7 goes RTM.

*********************Okay, I found the overscan fix for Windows 7 after navigating many google searches.*********************

I did the following registry edit for my GTX260 and LG246WP:

**Obtain the EDID numbers from your monitor using the Phoenix Utility (for those using the LG246WP, the first four numbers are 1E,6D,3F,56)

1. Let Windows 7 update the Nvidia drivers through Windows Update or download them from Nvidia.
2. Run regedit and go here: HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
3. Check each subfolder called "0000" until you see:
>Settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings
4. Once you find that, click the "0000" and select "new" followed by "binary value"
5. Rename the value to OverrideEdidFlags0 and hit enter/okay
6. Right click OverrideEdidFlags0 and select "Modify Binary Data"
7. Don't mind the "0000" already in the key- just manually type in "1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00" without the quotation marks/commas and click okay. If you are using a different monitor than the LG246WP, the first four values (or maybe all) of that string will be different.
8. Close regedit and reboot. Your overscan problems should be fixed.

I've attached a picture of my registry edit: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7462/regsp6.jpg

More info here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ows 7&st=100

*********************Okay, I found the overscan fix for Windows 7 after navigating many google searches.*********************

I did the following registry edit for my GTX260 and LG246WP:

**Obtain the EDID numbers from your monitor using the Phoenix Utility (for those using the LG246WP, the first four numbers are 1E,6D,3F,56)

1. Let Windows 7 update the Nvidia drivers through Windows Update or download them from Nvidia.
2. Run regedit and go here: HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
3. Check each subfolder called "0000" until you see:
>Settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings
4. Once you find that, click the "0000" and select "new" followed by "binary value"
5. Rename the value to OverrideEdidFlags0 and hit enter/okay
6. Right click OverrideEdidFlags0 and select "Modify Binary Data"
7. Don't mind the "0000" already in the key- just manually type in "1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00" without the quotation marks/commas and click okay. If you are using a different monitor than the LG246WP, the first four values (or maybe all) of that string will be different.
8. Close regedit and reboot. Your overscan problems should be fixed.

I've attached a picture of my registry edit: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7462/regsp6.jpg

More info here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ows 7&st=100

I made an account just to say THANKS! You're a life saver bro. This issue was driving me nuts! Luckily we have the same monitor, and it seems to be a Windows 7 issue seeing it as an HDTV rather than a monitor. I kept having to reset the resolution to "Audio Disabled" from the NVidia Control Panel everytime I started my computer or exited a game.

Followed your steps and booted back up. Everything looks great. Thanks again!

Back