Overpaying Your Fine Online Is A Bigger Fine

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought paying fines online was a convenience, you'd better think again. Check out what happened to this guy in Austria when he accidentally overpaid a fine:

A Vienna man who got a speeding ticket for €56 and accidentally transferred €57 when he paid the fine online has now been told he must pay another fine of €70 for his honest mistake. The man received the speeding fine after he was caught driving in Vienna at 71 km/h in a 50 km/h area. After paying it online he thought the matter was closed - until he received another demand for €70 because he had paid the wrong amount.

at least here if you over pay via mail, then send it back asking you to pay the right amount. on the internetz it is hard to overpay a fine as the amount is prefilled and not changable

Another wave of mass immigration is coming guys, lock the borders!
Either that or a wave of mass emmigration is leaving, depending where you are.

I read the article, something this stupid had to be either software error or stupid law ....aaaand the winner is...
stupid law. Quote from the article.

"The administrative court (VwGH) confirmed that according to the law it’s not enough to pay the fine on time and use the correct ID number - it must also be the exact amount demanded."

I'm sure we have halfassed enforced local laws like this somewhere in this USA if you look hard enough.

This prompted me to look into other abuses of power in Austria... and I have officially scratched it off my list of destinations when we go to Europe next year. WTG Austria!

This prompted me to look into other abuses of power in Austria... and I have officially scratched it off my list of destinations when we go to Europe next year. WTG Austria!

I purposely avoid a local city and all businesses in it because of their red light cameras. They are obnoxious.

Wow so instead of having a system setup up where you simply insert a credit card number and it deducts the amount of the fine they make you actually enter in the number... the fact that they fine you again for doing it is bat shit inanely retarded, way to aim high Austria!!

I appreciate that the news site also pointed out Vienna bartender fined €70 for loud burp the poor bartender who burped within earshot of a police man. "Police who heard the man burping near the Praterstern area of the Austrian capital Vienna told him it was a breach of the peace and slapped him with a €70 fine."

Overbearing governments, rampant corruption, countries going bankrupt. Well, I'm just avoiding ever going to Europe. It sounds like a craphole to me.

Only government could possibly justify this sort of behavior.
This is probably to deter people from making protest payments. For example micropayments 1 cent at a time to make the ticket more expensive for them to handle than it's worth.

I purposely avoid a local city and all businesses in it because of their red light cameras. They are obnoxious.
I agree, not much can be done about those.
If ever speed cameras become commonplace, I think everybody should then drive 5-10mph under.. I assure you there will be angry lawyers, judges, doctors, cops.. everyone will be angry, they will go away in time.

I read the article, something this stupid had to be either software error or stupid law ....aaaand the winner is...
stupid law. Quote from the article.

"The administrative court (VwGH) confirmed that according to the law it’s not enough to pay the fine on time and use the correct ID number - it must also be the exact amount demanded."

I'm sure we have halfassed enforced local laws like this somewhere in this USA if you look hard enough.

Civil Forfeiture. Legalised robbery to buy toys for cops.

But you make like $15 an hour doing mindless low end work and school is free, they told me it was great, it was utopia......

Somebody in the comments from the original article at Die Presse (German) said the €70 fine was issued in place of the €57 fine and not in addition to it. My understanding is that he paid the wrong amount, so it looked like he hadn't paid anything, so they charged him a ~$15 late fee.

There's also something about the system being anonymous (European privacy laws being what they are) so the court can't just look at a list of all payments and see the error.

The best part of the original article (translated):
Lawyer Alexander Neurauter regrets: It is apparently not possible - as known in the 17th century - to implement the comparison character ">" in the computer of the Republic, so that an excessively large amount would be accepted.

Anonymverfügung: Wer zu viel zahlt, wird bestraft

Somebody in the comments from the original article at Die Presse (German) said the €70 fine was issued in place of the €57 fine and not in addition to it. My understanding is that he paid the wrong amount, so it looked like he hadn't paid anything, so they charged him a ~$15 late fee.

Oh you know what that makes a lot of sense, obviously a poor implementation but makes sense.

Over paying?

T7B9jlT.jpg

Only government could possibly justify this sort of behavior.

Really? Because companies do this kind of stuff all the time. But I keep forgetting that HOCP is bootstrap libertarian land where government is bad and corporations are good.

Really? Because companies do this kind of stuff all the time. But I keep forgetting that HOCP is bootstrap libertarian land where government is bad and corporations are good.

But but but, who cares about corporations. Another, government white knight, trying to compare business to government when government has the power.

I would say Obamacare but that's too easy.

Every time I see or hear somebody say anything about Obamacare in general I know they are either a troll or an idiot. One bill was wrote up for both parties to use, exact same wording only the fines and amount you paid changed slightly. Democrats sided slightly more towards the people and Republicans towards business, but only slightly. So we were getting this put in place no matter who won as the Republicans actually started with the idea. Massachusetts actually took the Republican version and follow that instead of the Democrat version.

But thanks for trying.

Every time I see or hear somebody say anything about Obamacare in general I know they are either a troll or an idiot. One bill was wrote up for both parties to use, exact same wording only the fines and amount you paid changed slightly. Democrats sided slightly more towards the people and Republicans towards business, but only slightly. So we were getting this put in place no matter who won as the Republicans actually started with the idea. Massachusetts actually took the Republican version and follow that instead of the Democrat version.

But thanks for trying.

Those are bold words considering the cost of healthcare that the taxpayers will have to pay for. Just because it's "in place" doesn't mean it's right.

A while back when I got a bs 'citation' for a 'damaged trailer tire' (said tire was damaged by a hole in the road) on I-55 in Missouri, I was told that since I wasn't a permanent resident, nor that I regularly visited the state, I could pay it online.

Went to pay it, and the automated system plainly told me that if I do not pay the exact amount of the ticket I could be charged up to $100 more...

Those are bold words considering the cost of healthcare that the taxpayers will have to pay for. Just because it's "in place" doesn't mean it's right.

Sure it could have been done better. Not arguing that. Just meant the fact that people seem to bring it up all the time as a negative for everything. If you want to bash Obama how do you do it? you bitch about him creating Obamacare. If you want to talk about a terrible idea, you bring up Obamacare to compare it to. Want to say why the next president being a republican will be much better, you bring up Obamacare.

Most that use it as an insult really don't know or understand what it even is. It has turned into ET for the Atari 2600 when you talk about games. If you want to insult something you just bring up Obamacare for everything. If you want to talk about a terrible game, well at least it isn't as bad as ET on the Atari 2600. Doesn't matter 95% of the people saying that never played the game and have no idea if it was actually bad or not, they just use it as an insult.

Back