Overlord Demo

The demo for Overlord, was recently released for download via Live Marketplace. I've heard little things, such as "Pikmin ripoff." I decided to see for myself.

Yes, the gameplay is similar to Pikmin. However, this just seems a bit more fun. Setting fire to fields and burning your enemies? I'll take it!

It's rather colorful, both environmentally & personality wise. Definitely a great game to just pick up & play. If anyone else has played this, what do you think of it?

I havent played it but its definitely in my GameQ on gamefly.

Which brings me to a question do I need to be subscribed to Xbox live to download demos?

I havent played it but its definitely in my GameQ on gamefly.

Which brings me to a question do I need to be subscribed to Xbox live to download demos?
The free Silver account is all you need...I've even noticed lately that they don't even give priority to Gold users for new demos anymore and I can download them immediately. (used to have to wait about 24 hours)

Lets just say if you miss Dungeon Keeper, you are going to want this. The evil, the imps, Thorny and I noticed even the targeting reticles are the same as DK. I think I read that one of the makers loved Dungeon Keeper and it shows. I dont know what this pikmin is, but Overlord just cries Dungeon Keeper. Instead of it being an RTS, its now an RPG.

Is it just me or can you not move the camera around? Moving around feels kinda weird without that.

right bumper plus left analog moves the camera...or maybe its the other way around (left bumper plus right analog)...you can move it though.

Yea, just walk around holding the left bumper and the right stick moves the camera like most games...takes a bit to get used to but it works. I really enjoyed the demo. The voice acting was awesome. Setting fields of halflings on fire was awesome. I think my favorite part though was when I sent my minions to destroy the pumpkin field and some came out wearing pumpkin masks :).

Yea, just walk around holding the left bumper and the right stick moves the camera like most games...takes a bit to get used to but it works. I really enjoyed the demo. The voice acting was awesome. Setting fields of halflings on fire was awesome. I think my favorite part though was when I sent my minions to destroy the pumpkin field and some came out wearing pumpkin masks :).

Yeah that was awesome. I also was laughing when I sent my minions in to the field the second time, torched the halflings, and all my minions burned up too. I hope there are more environmental things like this.

Looking forward to this. But I'd love to see another Dungeon Keeper more than anything. :(

I wan't to see what more people think, I tried it out for a couple of minutes yesterday, hopefully I'll play all the way through when I get home today.

So far it seems pretty interesting, it's kind of funny how you just go around destroying everything.

I haven't played Pikmin or Dungeon Keeper (don't lynch me! :p ) but I had a blast with this demo. I loved sending in the minions and they'd come running back with some shiney, saying "For you, Master!" or something similar. Really made me chuckle. The game may lack some depth though since you have a generic button attack for magic, a generic attack with your axe, or you can send the minions in. Thus far, that's a ton of fun, but I'm wondering how it will hold up.

Definitely worth the download though. Lots of fun.

i too really liked this game...I've been looking for another creative game like this...I'm so tired of fps games and crappy realistic racing simulators. I like arcady carmageddon style race games, and creative games. Kameo was fun!

I'm going to wait for the reviews. I played the demo, and lack of a free-floating camera aside, I had some fun. But I felt as if it didn't really give me a good taste for what kind of game this is. Is there a significant strategy or RPG element to it? What kind of continuity is there between missions?

Ordering your minions to loot and pillage is fun, no doubt about it, and I like how they can really destroy the landscape. But that novelty is only going to last so long.

about how long do you want a game to last?

Most xbox 360 games last less than 10 hours.

If it's a solid fun, witty, and non buggy seven hours it's probably worth a go!

about how long do you want a game to last?

Most xbox 360 games last less than 10 hours.
I really hope that's sarcasm, because that ain't true. Heck, I can't even remember the last game, period, that I played that lasted less than 10 hours. Maybe some of the stuff on XBLA, but that's only $5-$10 each.

He might be teh ubar! I don't know, even F.E.A.R. took me longer than 10 hours to complete and that's supposed to be a particularly short game. Maybe I suck. :(

Gears is supposed to be really short too... will have to comment on how long it takes me to finish that. =)

He might be teh ubar! I don't know, even F.E.A.R. took me longer than 10 hours to complete and that's supposed to be a particularly short game. Maybe I suck. :(

Gears is supposed to be really short too... will have to comment on how long it takes me to finish that. =)

Gears was under ten hours, but just barely for me. Maybe 9 or so. That's definitely the shortest game I've played on 360 so far and the multiplayer makes up for the game length.

Stuff like this is really overblown. FPS games have always been rather short, it's a little late to complain about it now.

Back