Overclocking the Switch

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-switch-overclocking-analysis

tl;dr an intrepid modder over at Digitalfoundry was able to boost the CPU from 1020Mhz to 1785MHz, and the GPU from 768Mhz to 921Mhz for decent gains in some games. The fan rpms obviously ramped up but temps only went up by a few degrees, although power consumption went up by as much as 25% (don't try this in handheld mode if you like your battery life!)

pretty neat in my estimation! I always love stories of overclocking things that weren't meant to be overclocked :cool:

This is no surprise. The Shield TV runs at slightly faster speeds.

I was surprised the die shrink of the big Switch released recently didn't come with higher boost clock mode when docked. The existing variable clocks mean the devs are already pretty flexible on changes in performance.

This is no surprise. The Shield TV runs at slightly faster speeds.

I was surprised the die shrink of the big Switch released recently didn't come with higher boost clock mode when docked. The existing variable clocks mean the devs are already pretty flexible on changes in performance.

I'm shocked they didn't go with higher boost clocks in docked mode to begin with even b4 the shrink... that's a lot of headroom to leave on the table! I wonder if Nintendo was trying to keep the delta between docked and undocked small for more consistent performance (consistently slower is at least consistent, if that's what you are going for)

I'm shocked they didn't go with higher boost clocks in docked mode to begin with even b4 the shrink... that's a lot of headroom to leave on the table! I wonder if Nintendo was trying to keep the delta between docked and undocked small for more consistent performance (consistently slower is at least consistent, if that's what you are going for)

Oh wait, it looks like just just did a few months back, but only for GPU clock:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...switch-with-encouraging-results/#5dcf487733cd

I believe the CPU clock is still stuck at 1ghz.

Guess what I miss when I don't even own one?

Forbes article said:
The initial restraints on the GPU clock were relaxed quickly as Nintendo realized many games didn’t play well at the original slow GPU speeds.
yeah no kidding :LOL: 300Mhz GPU what is this 2002?

Back