Overclocking the Switch

Discussion in 'Computers & Gadgets' started by KATEKATEKATE, Aug 13, 2019.

1. KATEKATEKATE

KATEKATEKATE Limp Gawd

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-switch-overclocking-analysis

tl;dr an intrepid modder over at Digitalfoundry was able to boost the CPU from 1020Mhz to 1785MHz, and the GPU from 768Mhz to 921Mhz for decent gains in some games. The fan rpms obviously ramped up but temps only went up by a few degrees, although power consumption went up by as much as 25% (don't try this in handheld mode if you like your battery life!)

pretty neat in my estimation! I always love stories of overclocking things that weren't meant to be overclocked :cool:

2. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

That is awesome. Quite the overclock for a mobile gaming system I use to play classic NES games on.....

KATEKATEKATE and SticKx911 like this.
  3. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

This is no surprise. The Shield TV runs at slightly faster speeds.

I was surprised the die shrink of the big Switch released recently didn't come with higher boost clock mode when docked. The existing variable clocks mean the devs are already pretty flexible on changes in performance.

KATEKATEKATE likes this.
  4. KATEKATEKATE

KATEKATEKATE Limp Gawd

I'm shocked they didn't go with higher boost clocks in docked mode to begin with even b4 the shrink... that's a lot of headroom to leave on the table! I wonder if Nintendo was trying to keep the delta between docked and undocked small for more consistent performance (consistently slower is at least consistent, if that's what you are going for)

5. defaultluser

Oh wait, it looks like just just did a few months back, but only for GPU clock:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...switch-with-encouraging-results/#5dcf487733cd

I believe the CPU clock is still stuck at 1ghz.

Guess what I miss when I don't even own one?

KATEKATEKATE likes this.
  6. KATEKATEKATE

KATEKATEKATE Limp Gawd

yeah no kidding :LOL: 300Mhz GPU what is this 2002?

7. defaultluser

Well yeah, but you have to balance battery life. If you crank it to 700 MHz in portable mode, it's going to eat through battery life.

KATEKATEKATE likes this.
  8. KATEKATEKATE

KATEKATEKATE Limp Gawd

fair point.