Overclocking the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 1400 CPUs

You need to make that your video catchphrase somehow. It resonates perfectly and with the sincere and non sensationalist tone in your videos - it would go well. "Beer with Kyle" and for really good shit "Boilermaker Day"

Not everyone here is ancient, but when we first started modifying and engineering the 386 boards for maximum performance (I designed boards for a small company here in Canada then) we would literally reach out by snail mail and ads, invite people to the bar and talk about etching out the last Mhz of performance from every aspect of the system to get their Truevision (for example) products as productive as possible. We'd lecture for hours about moving more air through densely packed PC cases and answer questions about why we were using heatsinks on our custom binned chipsets (unheard of, really). I nearly got punched by a drunk one day explaining why they needed to buy quality power supplies for these OC'd behemoths and not grab the cheapest PSU from their reseller.

YouTube is great and no one can give you a shot in the chops for speaking common sense.
We used to do [H] Friday Meets here in Dallas at Hooters years ago....until they finally kicked us out and would not let us back in.

So a normally loud place like Hooters wasn't into serving drinks and food to a group of 30 having a good time and spending money?

Duck that. Has to be someplace that will host you.
We tipped very well and the staff loved us, I think it was the other patrons that had issues....repeatedly.

So it looks like most were at ~1.4 voltage or more, isn't AMD's recommendation 1.375v for long term? Seems like most of the samples I have seen will still do 3.8/3.9 territory at that voltage, so I guess you gotta push it to reach 4.0 ghz.

i was hoping 4 cores would overclock much better than this, but this seems like a process limitation , Glofo 14nm just hits a hard wall here, better luck with revisions i guess.
i sure hope Vega would be out before your next battery of tests, cuz xf 480 as high end is...meh.
I was hoping the same thing

Still a good showing and competitive between an I3 and I5

Is this what we can expect more of from now on? Instead of informative easy to screen articles, HardOCP is transitioning to the awful video format? 22 minutes what could be achieved with 2 minutes of reading?

I made one of those nights and that storage unit clean-out you did years back. Damn good times. I'd make the trek back to Dallas for another round.
I am getting really close to cleaning out storage again. Need to move it closer to where I live.

Is this what we can expect more of from now on? Instead of informative easy to screen articles, HardOCP is transitioning to the awful video format? 22 minutes what could be achieved with 2 minutes of reading?
No.

Quick question Kyle. Do you have any future AMD Motherboard reviews coming? And do you know of any AMD motherboards in the future that will support 3600/4000 speeds?
Yes. No.

I think that it is more about AMD slowly working their bios, fixing it so to speak, in order for said speeds to be supported.

I seriously hope that it wasn't that they hadn't seen the relationship of ram speed and certain workloads with the Ryzen ccx design, i mean it, i prefer to think that they knew that they needed it but had to release prior to the end of the fiscal year than they finding out post release for real, one has common implications of having to release something to please shareholders, the other means real incompetence.

My god Kyle, two thumbs up! Been busy and had a lot of questions, key word: “had”

Great vid, shame about the clock wall on Ryzen. Seems to be damn solid which is a bummer for some of my clients.

A surprisingly large number forego Xeons and ECC for highly oc'ed i7's for some parts of their workflows - the risk/reward is acceptable in certain situations.

Unlocked multi's are great for us [H]'s, but complete rigs and Mobo / CPU combos sold pre-OC'ed to numpties without telling them could well become a problem. Ryzen seems ripe for it, sanded-down heat-spreaders that get re-etched could become a big problem in the second hand / tray market too. OK it's a bit of FUD at the moment but it is a darn big risk to AMD in the future.

Absolutely cannot wait for the Apples-to-Apples comparison mentioned in the vid and coming up soon on [H]. This is THE review I've been waiting for.

Thanks for your hard work Kyle!

Last edited:
Quick question ...is the give-away/competition going to open to UK participants :) or US only :(

LOL the second video played after the first one. Love how you are like we are just going to give this review sample shit away since we bought our own. Pretty bad ass!
That was actually AMD's idea. Got a bit tense with AMD last week as we were going to release benchmark scores as well. We had some discussions and came to a middle ground. Not that they truly have any legal call to me showing benchmarks on processors that not theirs. But we are trying to play nice.

Given that you've recently been able to achieve some compromise with AMD, I understand the pressure here. Regardless the video slipped a lot of information between the lines, so your negotiation went well indeed. Again good job. Still , the whole series of event shows AMD with people very out of date at this level. I find that somewhat concerning.

I don't think its out of line for AMD to ask a review site as professional as Hardocp to hold of publishing numbers of benchmarks before the NDA date. AMD allowed for overclocking results to be published is actually pretty nice. It is equally as professional of H to listen and comply to their request.

I think if anything it has gotten a bit of anticipation stirred up for launch next week. That 1600 is going to be a great sweet spot processor for a budget build.

I don't think its out of line for AMD to ask a review site as professional as Hardocp to hold of publishing numbers of benchmarks before the NDA date. AMD allowed for overclocking results to be published is actually pretty nice. It is equally as professional of H to listen and comply to their request.

AMD asking to enforce an NDA date on a site that purchased their own processors so they didn't have to sign said NDA?

Thank you for great video! (y)

I was ready to get the R7 1700 at launch, but since no ITX boards have arrived yet, the CPU purchase is still on hold.. Now I think maybe the R5 1600 could do just fine and the price difference could be spent on GPU or RAM, but I can decide when the ITX boards arrive..

Also looking forward to see the intel 2600 and ryzen comparison you mentioned.

The 2600/ryzen is what I'm looking at mostly both in stock and overclocked form to see if it's worth finally retiring my 2600k for something newer.

What type of UEFI settings should one look for to get a good balance between low power consumption at low loads and high performance at high loads?
How much does the voltage influence maximum frequency?

Were all those samples from china? I guess that's how they leaked out of the normal supply chain...

What type of UEFI settings should one look for to get a good balance between low power consumption at low loads and high performance at high loads?
How much does the voltage influence maximum frequency?
Look at the p state overclocking thread in this forum.

And here I thought I was the only one to write down my overclocking notes on paper....Old school keeping it real! (back to video)

I don't do that. I used to about 10 years ago. Now I throw it all on a txt file on my PC.

Oh no...are those HSFs...using...push pins?

Oh god...

The Wraith Spire cooler doesn't use push pins. They actually screw into the standard back plate.

Kind of sad and comical to see stuff appear on sale and reviewers waiting for the NDA date... Not the first time, propably not the last either...

While true at normal MSRPs, the crazy a*s deals on the 1700 have kind of wrecked the economics.
Hell, when you could pick up a 1700 for $250 (the eBay coupon deal), why the heck not?

I was waiting for the 1600 myself, but I couldn't pass up that 1700 eBay deal for $250 shipped. Just too good of a deal and I was fortunate enough to get in on that deal. I'm happy with the upgrade from my 2600k so far.

The 2600/ryzen is what I'm looking at mostly both in stock and overclocked form to see if it's worth finally retiring my 2600k for something newer.

Already did it. And it's been great so far. If you can use 8 cores (or 6 cores, in the case of the 1600/1600X), this is a big upgrade from a 2600k. OTOH, if you're just gaming, probably better to go 7700k, or just wait a little longer.

I was waiting for the 1600 myself, but I couldn't pass up that 1700 eBay deal for $250 shipped. Just too good of a deal and I was fortunate enough to get in on that deal. I'm happy with the upgrade from my 2600k so far.

I missed out on that deal by, maybe, 2 minutes. So looks like I'll be jumping on the bandwagon tomorrow!

Back