Overclocking the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and 1400 CPUs

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We went out and bought four new Ryzen 5 CPUs last week and have been pounding on those to find out what kind of overclocking headroom we should expect. Buy your own Ryzen 5 CPUs at this link. All the Ryzen 5 specs and slides from AMD are here.

I'm gonna sound way older than i am but it doesn't cease to amaze me how much processing power do we have right now at our hands. I say that after seeing how you were stress testing the processors in the vid :)

Thanks again for taking the time to do all this :D

Btw this is awful Kyle, but you may eventually have to do it thanks to the water pump of your truck:

http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/how-to-drain-blood-from-under-a-nail

Nice look at Ryzen 5. 1600 looks like a killer value.

We need to start a pool on when that blister on Kyle's thumb will no longer be visible. Based upon its current trajectory I'm down for July 4th.

Btw this is awful Kyle, but you may eventually have to do it thanks to the water pump of your truck:
No blood under it. No pressure.

We need to start a pool on when that blister on Kyle's thumb will no longer be visible. Based upon its current trajectory I'm down for July 4th.
When it happened it was fully in the nail bed. You could not see it until it started growing out. I like the pool idea though, I will get in on some of that action.

I have never been able to make sense of the Load Line Calibration levels. Could someone indulge me ?

Hahahah awesome then it looks worse than it is hahahah, it is just that when i closed a door on my finger years ago (rotating POS) i did have to eventually drain mine lol

I have never been able to make sense of the Load Line Calibration levels. Could someone indulge me ?

Its a control loop to prevent vdroop or rather, maintain a constant power output to the cpu based upon load. The level determines how aggressive the systems response will be to over or under voltage situation. If too low the control point wont be reached and if too aggressive it will over-control causing the output to sine.

So it looks like it isn't the CPU that is holding back the memory.....Nice all those procs doing 3200mhz.

Well thanks for the memory Info Kyle. This is exactly what I was looking for..

Also man that 1600 looks like a hell of a deal. Cant wait to see benchmarks...Brent good luck that is a lot of benchmarks you will be running.

Use a tiny drill bit to drain it, gently twirl with fingers of the other hand.
No power tools! Air impact probably a mistake, but take your chances.
Just be sure the camera is rolling.

Last edited:
i was hoping 4 cores would overclock much better than this, but this seems like a process limitation , Glofo 14nm just hits a hard wall here, better luck with revisions i guess.
i sure hope Vega would be out before your next battery of tests, cuz xf 480 as high end is...meh.

i was hoping 4 cores would overclock much better than this, but this seems like a process limitation , Glofo 14nm just hits a hard wall here, better luck with revisions i guess.
i sure hope Vega would be out before your next battery of tests, cuz xf 480 as high end is...meh.
Yeah, this pretty much closes the door on temperature limited OCing. It is all process.

I wonder if as the process matures we'll see a SKU revision with better overclocking. Kind of like we saw with the early Kentsfield's C0 to D0 revision.

I wonder if as the process matures we'll see a SKU revision with better overclocking. Kind of like we saw with the early Kentsfield's C0 to D0 revision.

I think so. I think the RX5XX series specs point to process optimization. I don't think it will happen in 500Mhz clips but a year from now 4.5Ghz if not more will sneak up on us.

I think so. I think the RX5XX series specs point to process optimization. I don't think it will happen in 500Mhz clips but a year from now 4.5Ghz if not more will sneak up on us.

That's what I was banking on. Even with a solid punch (and much smoother than Intel low end on FPS), Ryzen has a lot of potential but seems like there are things to clean up that can't be fixed until a future revision. It's all new tech, so I get it.

That next wave is where I am hoping to see it really take off.

well so much for fewer cores and higher clocks argument for the quad and hex core units. Then again exactly what I expected seeing as the 4/6/8 core parts all share the same die. Perhaps later when the Ryzen APU's are released will we see a new die based on just 4 cores, and they might clock better, or at least get rid of the CCX delay between cross talking core CCX's

Thanks for the testing Kyle and crew :) some good info.

I'm looking to upgrade to something soon from my 4790k at 4.8ghz but these 4.0ghz max overclocks on even the 6 core 1600 is a downgrade for gaming.
I guess I'm going to have to wait for Skylake X. Don't get me wrong, Ryzen seems like a good "Value" but that's it.

I wish the clock scaled better with less cores like intel. None of their Ryzen line up is really geared towards gaming.
Ryzen = we'll give you more cores for your money instead of high clock speed.

The only saving grace for Ryzen is IF developers start optimizing games for Ryzen / more cores otherwise this low clock speed isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: spine
like this
Dr. Bennett, perhaps to avoid future questions about your thumb until it heals, maybe you should consider wearing surgical gloves whenever your hands are going to be in front of a camera. I always liked the clean. clinical look it gave MaximumPC hands whenever they were being displayed..

maximumpc_glove.jpg

You already have doctoral degree in overclocking.. so might as well throw on a lab coat and the gloves to boot!!

You see what I did there.. MaximumPC use to be boot.. Gordon Mah Ung can explain it all!!

Dr. Bennett, perhaps to avoid future questions about your thumb until it heals, maybe you should consider wearing surgical gloves whenever your hands are going to be in front of a camera. I always liked the clean. clinical look it gave MaximumPC hands whenever they were being displayed..

maximumpc_glove.jpg

You already have doctoral degree in overclocking.. so might as well throw on a lab coat and the gloves to boot!!

You see what I did there.. MaximumPC use to be boot.. Gordon Mah Ung can explain it all!!

The one piece of advice my old man instilled in me before he left to go to the store and get some smokes,
and never came back was; "Son, only pussies and proctologists wear gloves."

The 1600 definitely looks like the sweet spot for cost/cores/threads.

Another great video, more wordy yet unique in presentation - the paper presentation I come to the conclusion is much better then using PowerPoint - able to flex the paper, shack it, point to findings etc. is way better then PowerPoint method and flows much better with what is being talked about with system in background. Anyways I find these to be of the best tech videos around for getting information out quickly.

Seeing the many RyZen samples with same setup, person from random bought samples really tells the consistency better of the processor vice looking at single cpu tests by different people with results all over the place.

maximumpc_glove.jpg

Dude, you always make me laugh. I am going to get some black nail polish this weekend and go full Penn on you guys.

The 1600 definitely looks like the sweet spot for cost/cores/threads.

Another great video, more wordy yet unique in presentation - the paper presentation I come to the conclusion is much better then using PowerPoint - able to flex the paper, shack it, point to findings etc. is way better then PowerPoint method and flows much better with what is being talked about with system in background. Anyways I find these to be of the best tech videos around for getting information out quickly.

Seeing the many RyZen samples with same setup, person from random bought samples really tells the consistency better of the processor vice looking at single cpu tests by different people with results all over the place.
So I know the "the thing" to do is record the screen caps direct, and then use "fancy" on-screen graphics, and I could do that, it not difficult.

I don't think you need to see my ugly mug mouthing at you then showing you a slide. I do not like these scripted videos that shoot for perfection. I have gotten back into the video thing over the last couple of months, and the "over the shoulder" / "along for the ride" format seems to resonate well. I like just talking to you, like we were both sitting there having a beer, talking about overclocking and PC hardware. No bullshit, no fluff, just want to actually speak to our community rather than present you with something. Yeah, there are some times that things look kinda shitty, out of focus, screen shots are shit at best, but you are seeing it as I see it and talking to you about it. You, and I for that matter, want to see the hardware, what it does, and I want to share my thoughts on it as to how it is going to be when you use it at home.

That new camera is badass too. I really like it.

And I thought it was just some nail polish that didn't get alcohol'ed off. :wacky:

And some guy trying to get you to drill a hole on your thumb:sick:

BOT.... All these chips flying around and we are stuck waiting on a gosh darned NDA. :sour:

I really enjoy how you do the vids, I mean let's face it, your not the ugliest motherfucker I've seen doing video reviews, even though Linus IS a lot hotter than you are.

Linus is pretty, in a low-T way, but in 10 years he's gonna be bald and not so pretty. Kyle, he's got that rugged good looks thing going on that's going to last a lifetime. :)

Linus is pretty, in a low-T way, but in 10 years he's gonna be bald and not so pretty. Kyle, he's got that rugged good looks thing going on that's going to last a lifetime. :)

Lmao, I was going to mention the T word or even say ladiboi, but didn't want any snowflakes to jump me in the parking lot.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I see a lot of fun with these videos's that come across well. It does come across more natural vice staged by a long shot. Plus in the future when something is crap, I can see the paper being waded up and thrown or burnt to a crisp, much more dynamic, entertaining and what is going to happen next.

I see a lot of fun with these videos's that come across well. It does come across more natural vice staged by a long shot. Plus in the future when something is crap, I can see the paper being waded up and thrown or burnt to a crisp, much more dynamic, entertaining and what is going to happen next.
Mental note, buy flashpaper.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: noko
like this
It is funny to see how you use sheets of paper to relay information rather then what most "people" on youtube do they just post the information on screen ;) .

I love the format. It's real. Like, come hither you heathens and check this shit out.

You know, I've love to do some more fishing video's in the "over the shoulder" format. Sadly, there is no "over the shoulder" rig for a GoPro that I know of.

The one piece of advice my old man instilled in me before he left to go to the store and get some smokes,
and never came back was; "Son, only pussies and proctologists wear gloves."

I got the same advice. Sorry he didn't make it back. I guess I was lucky in that department. My old man was a good one. He use to get so pissed every time santa didn't leave me any presents...

But as far as overclocking goes, at this point its all binning based upon the same chip. Once there are process improvements and Ryzen 5/3 sales exceed what can be filled via defective core binning, the overclocking "ecosystem" should improve.

P.S. Now that I've used the latest annoying catchphrase "ecosystem" in a sentence, my work here is done :)

Back