Overclocking Question, is this normal?

psynotic

Weaksauce
Hey all,

I'm a total n00b when it comes to overclocking, but I was fiddling around with my cpu today and decided to take advantage of Asus' AI Overclocker. I set it to a 10% overclock, computer booted up fine and I fired up some HL2 and no crashes! However, looking at my speeds in CPU-Z and in Windows, it states that my processor is 2.0Ghz, my stock speed, but my BIOS says it is 2.2 Ghz. I'm not sure who to believe :(

Any input to this matter would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My specs can be found in my sig and if it helps, I am running Windows XP X64.

The AI overclocking thing isn't that great. You're better off OC'n it manually.

same with me except cpu-z shows my processer at its correct overclocked value and the windows one (the right click my computer) shows it at stock even though it is overclocked 200mhz. I am a little nervous about doing it manually and messing it up. .

Hmm... it gets stranger. I followed everyone's advice. Cool and Quiet was disabled already and I tried overclocking it manually. CPU-Z and Windows still says it's at stock speeds. A really wierd thing I noticed in CPU-Z is that, my FSB is contstantly changing. (eg: 201.1, 202, 202.2, 201.1)

I'm at school at the moment, but I guess I can try to find some settings in the BIOS that is automagically changing my settings.

It's probably ramping up the clockspeeds when the processor is being used (much like MSI's CoreCell). So when you're idle, it's stock speed....but when you run a process, it ramps up to overclocked speeds. To test this, open and run SuperPI/Prime95/anything that uses the CPU and see if your clockspeed goes up.

I think the AI booster.... if that what you used only OCs when the CPU has a load on it then it goes back to stock speed... i had an A8N in my computers past life :D

Back