Overclocking question for A64

Hey AMD doods... Im new to AMD
I'm thinking about getting a A64 Venice because of the cool and quiet thingy, but i want to overclock the CPU too...so i was wondering if i will still be able to use the cool and quiet thing and still overclock...or would that be disabled once i overclock.
Excuse me if this is trivial, but this is my first AMD build EVER!!!....i've only built 4 computers and all of them was INTEL when they were in their prime, now they just seem like space heaters to me, so i want the cool and quiet thing for the desktop.

I've got Cool n' Quiet turned on and I'm able to get a pretty good overclock, it may depend on what core you have though, mines a s754 Newcastle :D

cool and quiet will work. i'd personally use a nifty tool called RMclock, that allows you to set the upper and lower multipliers and voltage range..

here's what happens. when you overclock, if you change VID or the multiplier from stock, when you turn on cool and quiet, both will drop to it's value (5x and 1.1v), but when you apply load, it'll go back to stock

for an example, let's say i wanted to oc my clawhammer, 1.5v and 10x multi as stock.
i can't get past 2.3ghz, but my ram can do 260mhz
so i drop the cpu multi to 9x, and the fsb/htt up to 255mhz, to make 2295mhz, and to provide enough voltage, i change VID to 1.55v..

with cool and quiet on, it'll drop to 5x and 1.1v, but when i apply load, it'll go back to 10x and 1.5v.. making my cpu run at 2.55ghz with less voltage. this is a bad thing

with rmclock, you can set the upper multi, so i'd limit it to 9x, and the upper voltage, which i'd bring up to 1.55v
also, if you know your cpu can do htt/fsb * 5x at a lower voltage than 1.1v, you can lower that too. or bring up the multi it drops to... i think you get the idea :D

I wouldn't worry about C&Q 'cause the a64's run very cool even when overclocked. I use a Zalman 7000cu but stock cooling is sufficient for good o/c's on air.

My current 3000+ (1.8ghz) is overclocked to 2.55ghz at the maximum voltage and idle in the mid 30's (celcius) and peaks about 50c.

I also uses software to run my HD's quieter and reduce the fan speed on my video card... I have three case fans all vantec stealth... 1x120 intake, 1x92 intake (side) and 1x120 exhaust near silent operation. :D

mewannafastpc said:
Hey AMD doods... Im new to AMD
I'm thinking about getting a A64 Venice because of the cool and quiet thingy, but i want to overclock the CPU too...so i was wondering if i will still be able to use the cool and quiet thing and still overclock...or would that be disabled once i overclock.
Excuse me if this is trivial, but this is my first AMD build EVER!!!....i've only built 4 computers and all of them was INTEL when they were in their prime, now they just seem like space heaters to me, so i want the cool and quiet thing for the desktop.

thanks guys for the answers
burningrave101 said:
There is really no need to enable CnQ as its not really going to benefit you any.

but i want the lower voltage thing so it'll use up less power when idle

(cf)Eclipse said:
cool and quiet will work. i'd personally use a nifty tool called RMclock, that allows you to set the upper and lower multipliers and voltage range..

here's what happens. when you overclock, if you change VID or the multiplier from stock, when you turn on cool and quiet, both will drop to it's value (5x and 1.1v), but when you apply load, it'll go back to stock

for an example, let's say i wanted to oc my clawhammer, 1.5v and 10x multi as stock.
i can't get past 2.3ghz, but my ram can do 260mhz
so i drop the cpu multi to 9x, and the fsb/htt up to 255mhz, to make 2295mhz, and to provide enough voltage, i change VID to 1.55v..

with cool and quiet on, it'll drop to 5x and 1.1v, but when i apply load, it'll go back to 10x and 1.5v.. making my cpu run at 2.55ghz with less voltage. this is a bad thing

with rmclock, you can set the upper multi, so i'd limit it to 9x, and the upper voltage, which i'd bring up to 1.55v
also, if you know your cpu can do htt/fsb * 5x at a lower voltage than 1.1v, you can lower that too. or bring up the multi it drops to... i think you get the idea
where would i get this thing and how does it work....? do you have a link for it i googled but got crap

got another question about the cool and quiet thing... does it have a middle ground for the voltage and multiplier depending on usage like in the Pentium M or is all or nothing.

mewannafastpc said:
got another question about the cool and quiet thing... does it have a middle ground for the voltage and multiplier depending on usage like in the Pentium M or is all or nothing.

All or nothing. If you're folding like you should be, Cool N Quiet wont even turn on.

robberbaron said:
All or nothing. If you're folding like you should be, Cool N Quiet wont even turn on.
damn it.... i have another one downstairs for folding stuff. folding in my room equals tropical temps in my room....me no likely

yea no kidding and it was asking if i meant hemlock instead....but you know why...i spelled wrong hahaa :rolleyes: yea i feel smart
thanks

heh, sorry about that.. my post probably came across the wrong way. it's all cool? :D

yea it's cool :) im not one to hold a grudge unless you wrecked my car or something :p :D
i know you probably have alot of people just coming in asking for links im not one of them, so frustration is understable on your part

mewannafastpc said:
yea it's cool :) im not one to hold a grudge unless you wrecked my car or something :p :D
i know you probably have alot of people just coming in asking for links im not one of them, so frustration is understable on your part
Very true.. cf and robberbaron, along with tsue are the real support on this subforum. I just sit back and watch..

Back