Overclocking Q6600 G0 on Gigabyte GA-P45-UD3P motherboard

Well I played an hour of Crysis Warhead without a glitch...Not too shabby. It has my system as Gamer.

That sounds good. What kind of FPS are you getting? Is your 260 OC'ed? I just sent out one of my 9800GT's to EVGA in exchange for a 285 WHOOP WHOOP. If you don't know, use FRAPS.

I run another 9800GT with 690 core and 990 mem. I think I can run it higher but I'm not sure if it gives me game crashes or if that was my CPU OC doing that. This is giving me around 35-60 FPS on Gamer settings I believe. You should be seeing a huge FPS difference in CPU bound games like Crysis.

Last night I changed my CPU term from 'Normal' to 1.22 (default 1.20) and it wouldn't POST. Set it to '1.20' and booted instantly and had no game crashes. I also dropped my Vcore to 1.25 and wouldn't post either. I've got it on 1.37something. I'm pretty sure my system crashed with the 3.2ghz OC because my settings were all jacked up lol.

eVGA has a tool which shows temp and FPS but I forgot to activate it when I started playing. Maybe if I get a chance tonight I will.

I thought about stepping up to the 285 from my 260 but it was going to cost too much and the time just passed plus my 260 is already CPU bound (well less so now).

You should do a quick search for the 260 and the 285 to get a relative idea of what kind of frames you should get and the difference if you had a 285. IMO it probably isn't worth it to step up unless you had an i7.

You really think you're CPU bound with a 260? I mean if you are, it can't really be that bad running @ 3.0ghz.

If this is the case then I'm screwed with my 285. I was thinking about over volting it just for fun, but I'm sure that would kick my CPU's ass, but I'd do it just to see what it's like.

Various online benchmarks I found showed that the Q6600 at stock speeds throttles the 260 but I don't remember at what point that loosens up...its probably in the 3.0-3.2Ghz range.

I would assume so. If you read the 260 and 285 reviews (among all other card reviews), you'll see they point out they're running whatever CPU at 3.6ghz. Now that's fast as shit, but they also point out that that is very excessive, plus they use an Intel Xtreme 3.6ghz..which is ultra fast as shit lol.

But still, I think a [email protected] should have enough juice to provide little to no throttle towards a 285 OC. If it is, then I'll try to make it to 3.2 or 3.4ghz.

Hopefully I'll have my card in another week and a half. I'll probably post results here.

I just took a look in my case and I can't really see a way to increase the airflow. I can't move the hdd since the video card is in the way and there is at least enough open space for the intake fan to get air to the HSF. I guess I could try to reroute some cabling but I don't have a lot of room for that.

Back