Overclocking my i7 920 to 4.2GHZ

• Thread starter Deleted member 201992
  • Start date
I' am kind of curious if you people are so into overclocking why not cut to the chase and watercool? HST are half ass cooling in comparision and worrying about using a certain thermal paste...and you can use the pump, res, fittings and rads later on.... at most you might have to buy a new block/blocks or back plates to adapt to a new chipset...your present idle temp would then be at worst your max load temp and you wouldn't have to disable things (HTT) that IMO defeat the purpose of ocing to get better performance.
My 2 cents.

I' am kind of curious if you people are so into overclocking why not cut to the chase and watercool? HST are half ass cooling in comparision and worrying about using a certain thermal paste...and you can use the pump, res, fittings and rads later on.... at most you might have to buy a new block/blocks or back plates to adapt to a new chipset...your present idle temp would then be at worst your max load temp and you wouldn't have to disable things (HTT) that IMO defeat the purpose of ocing to get better performance.
My 2 cents.
I have water cooling its just that my processor doesn't want to be stable over 4.2ghz :(

And you're already at 1.45v !!! lol
I know I think I somehow fucked up my processor :/ 50 idle and 80 load @ 1.45. I used to be able to do 1.35volts @ 4.2. what gives?

Tried doverclocking on 19x cpu multi instead of 20x?
A few people (including myself) find it easier on 19x than 20x, possibly a p6t issue? not sure.

why does my processor take 1.45 volts when it took 1.33 volts before?

why does my processor take 1.45 volts when it took 1.33 volts before?

check your vdroop settings, you probably had it off before.
edit: read your other thread with vcore @1.6. uhm yah that could definitely send a cpu to a quick grave or at least put it on its way to one. I would not go over 1.45. On mine I've it 4.3ghz at 1.34V and I thought that was hi already.

Last edited:
Kind of sounds odd to me, the high vcore....pretty much the I7's do not react very well to vcore much beyond 1.35.

i am jealous, makes me want to upgrade. I am running a lowly e6750 @ 3.0ghz... 4ghz seems so amazing, haha

Setting your Vcore past 1.375V is not recommended by INTEL. (correct me if im wrong someone)

OP, I think you are playing with fire here and using very high Vcore, im not going to be surprised if you had messed up your CPU already.

Don't get me wrong, im all up for OC and was very exited when I got my system to 4ghz (not that long ago), but ask your self are you going to be using your OC 24/7? if so, going over 4Ghz would not be recommended.

Thats just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Quite impressive to be honest,
What other voltages are you running?

Time to update the signature :D

Quite impressive to be honest,
What other voltages are you running?

Time to update the signature :D

I think i am running it pretty hot @ 1.45 vcore but with water it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think i am running it pretty hot @ 1.45 vcore but with water it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Haha, yeah so long as the temperatures are fine should be ok for a few years :)
What about QPI and ICH voltages etcetc

Haha, yeah so long as the temperatures are fine should be ok for a few years :)
What about QPI and ICH voltages etcetc

Not necessarily true. Higher voltage increases electromigration affects on the copper interconnect of the processor's circuitry and will eventually lead to premature failure.

Back