• Thread starter Deleted member 201992
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 201992

Asus P6T V2 (latest bios)
Corsair 6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 1T |||1.66 volts|||

4.5ghz

Last edited by a moderator:
Turning HTT off will help lower temps. I noticed a 10-12c degree difference so I left it off . Didn't really need it anyway.

Get better cooling / lower volts.

Mine runs at 4.0ghz only hitting low 70's in IBT with a U12P Noctua...

That's with hyper threading and turbo mode turned off though...

But I actually can make use of hyper-threading so I'm working on getting a better case/heatsink to improve airflow and get temps in the upper 70's / low 80's for when I leave hyper-threading on

Turning HTT off will help lower temps. I noticed a 10-12c degree difference so I left it off . Didn't really need it anyway.
HTT is hyperthreading? Sorry for being a newb.

But I actually can make use of hyper-threading so I'm working on getting a better case/heatsink to improve airflow and get temps in the upper 70's / low 80's for when I leave hyper-threading on

Without hyperthreading will I get slightly lower frames in games like crysis and counter-strike:source? I know crysis and gta 4 love quad cores.

What voltages are you running at? Also, what memory timings?

your vcore seems very high for a D0 chip at that clock speed. i my rampage II does 4.2 with turbo on ie 200 bclk X 21 mult at 1.25 vcore and 1.25 qpi everything other than ram voltage is auto.

your vcore seems very high for a D0 chip at that clock speed. i my rampage II does 4.2 with turbo on ie 200 bclk X 21 mult at 1.25 vcore and 1.25 qpi everything other than ram voltage is auto.

I'll try 1. 28vcore. I set qpi to auto, never really set that yet, still kind of unsure what qpi is. Vdimm is set to 1.66.

holy shit i'm benching @ 70C now that I turned off HTT and lowered vcore to 1.28125! FUCK YEAH. Now, how can I overclock to 4.5ghz?

Now, what should I lower vdimm from 1.66 to maybe like 1.55?

What is qpi, why change it and where do I change it?

you realize out of the 10 posts on this thread, 7 are yours? lol...

You can EDIT posts too ;)

My voltage is at 1.225 right now... I can get away with 1.2 but it's not 100% stable (Only crashes after a couple hours into IBT, but not in Prime95) so I bumped it up a bit. QPI I think is at 1.3 or 1.35 whatever the XMS specced my Ram to, which was 8-8-8-24 and 1600... 1.65 for volts...

I'm just so fucking excited about breaking the 4ghz barrier. Please excuse me :)

On to bigger questions, will 1.3v core and 1.64 vdimm be stable @ 4.2? PLEASE LET IT BE.

It all depends on your hardware, I was surprised how easy 4.0 was, I'm too lazy to push it past that... kinda like I was with Q6600 @ 3.0ghz... I just set it once and it was stable so I'm staying there...

Where do I find this information?

It's the bottom line of printing on the processor's heat shield...right under your cooler. Just asking if you knew or had it written down, no sense remounting your cooler just to let us know.

My PC doesn't crash but fallout 3 keeps crashing :/. Counter-strike source seems to work fine though.

i did 4.2 @ 1.35v and 1.35 QPI. The D0's make it really easy to get over 4.0ghz without issue. I had a C1 that took quite a bit of work to get stable past 4.0ghz, and at a much higher voltage.

i7temps.jpg

i7temps2.jpg

My D0 takes 1.36vcore to get to 4.2 stable, most likely got a worse batch then some others that are seeing much lower vcores. Just really depends on the cpu/board, etc.

Running that much voltage on air cooling is going to produce the high temps that you are seeing when running at full load. Better/More airflow in the case or moving to water cooling will make those temps lower.

HT also makes the chips run quite a bit hotter then without it. From what I have found only a few apps make use of HT, where the majority of apps/games respond much better to clock increases.

So, HT is situational and if your daily tasks do not make use of it very well, the lower temps and no HT might work out better for you.

As always your mileage may vary. ;)

I eventually did about just under 5 hours of everest stability testing last night @ 1.325 vcore and 1.66 vdimm and everything was fine. I have left everything that says qpi to auto since I still don't understand what it is exactly. I'm starting to think maybe I put on too much arctic silver 5 :/. I always fuck that part up.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far... vcore 1.33 is now stable, with 1.66 vdimm.

So my OC is pretty much perfect now and was wondering where I could order some decent TEC Thermal Electric Coolers.

I feel the need for speed. When the fuck are the gulftowns coming out?

+1

We are happy you got over 4.

I bet if you ditched that Arctic Silver 5 and went for a modern paste that you could turn HT back on and still have decent temps at higher speeds.
which paste?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=890910
currently stable @ 4.3 ghz. But 4.4ghz is nigh impossible with even 1.525 vcore!

But is it linpack stable? I value stability as much as the OC. Took a while to find the right settings for 4.1ghz that was linpack stable. I'll take another stab at 4.2 once I get back. sure the extra 100mhz probably doesn't make a noticeable difference, but it sounds like a nice round number compared to 4.1. LOL.

If you want 4.5 ghz and above, you'll need to switch to water cooling. And by that, I mean a serious water cooling setup. The H50 is nice but its performance isn't really that much better than a quality air HSF.

But is it linpack stable? I value stability as much as the OC. Took a while to find the right settings for 4.1ghz that was linpack stable. I'll take another stab at 4.2 once I get back. sure the extra 100mhz probably doesn't make a noticeable difference, but it sounds like a nice round number compared to 4.1. LOL.

If you want 4.5 ghz and above, you'll need to switch to water cooling. And by that, I mean a serious water cooling setup. The H50 is nice but its performance isn't really that much better than a quality air HSF.

I use everest stability testing and that has always worked for me. I really want to hit 4.4 ghz though. Only managed to get 4.3ghz stable.

Did 2+hours of everest testing. Solid as a rock :) @ 4.3 now to get to 4.4....

Just tossing in my $.02

I bought an i7 920, not an i5, other than tripple channel DDR3 the only other real benefit is the hyperthreading. I don't think 200mhz is worth 4 threads. My D0 isn't one of the great ones, it takes 1.325v to hit 4ghz rock solid (8+ hours of prime95 and a sucsessful IBT.) Maybe I'm crazy, but what's the point of disabling HT to gain a few hundered mhz? Can you even tell the difference between 4ghz and 4.2? Aside from lower scores in multi-threaded benchmarks, due to disabled HT to hit the higher OC, I couldn't.

In gaming the cores > HT.

I realize that, but I don't want to have to restart my computer and head into bios to enable HT every time I want to putz with rendering or video encoding. Besides, 200mhz gives you how many more FPS in any given game? If you don't care about HT why pay the premium to get a 1366?

I realize that, but I don't want to have to restart my computer and head into bios to enable HT every time I want to putz with rendering or video encoding. Besides, 200mhz gives you how many more FPS in any given game? If you don't care about HT why pay the premium to get a 1366?
x58 mobo and sli, crossfire x and I don't do any encoding or rendering.

performance and overclocking on the i5 and i7 are comparable, but 1366 will have an upgrade path to hex cores in 2010. IMO a 1366 mobo has much more longevity than 1156... but who can tell what intel will do...

Back