Overclocking my first quad, Q9550. Goal 4.2Ghz, need advice

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
My Q9550 I just got has been a pretty awesome chip thus far. Haven't worked too much on it yet, but I'm running 4ghz 3hr P95 stable with 1.265v. Upped it to 1.275v and it's been going even longer.

I still have a good amount of room left with voltage, but the heat is limiting me. P95 brings it up to no higher than 61C, but IBT is getting it to around 67C-68C. I'm pretty sure temperature is going to be my limiting factor here.

What would be a reasonably priced upgrade to help me get the most out of my Q9550? I was thinking the Corsair H50/H70, Noctua NH-D14, or just upgrading the fans and doing push-pull on my S1283.

My goal right now is 4.4ghz. I'm going to keep pushing with the S1283 until the temps get to around 68C in P95, but I don't want to ruin such a great chip.

Last edited:
You need something like the NH-D14 or water cooling to get to 4.4ghz if you plan for normal use.

h70 is a beast and if you search the deal forums right now can be had for $80.

h50 is on sale for $60 at bestbuy right now and with dual fans is only a couple degrees warmer than the h70 that is also on sale for $80 right now.

This is the cheapest price for either of these unit.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=260193&t=2528767

I had a coolermaster n520+ on my i7-920 at 4.0ghz and my CPU would hit 100*C in prime95 in about 15 seconds at 1.4 volts and about 25 seconds at 1.35 volts. 100*C is the throttle temp for I7 cpus.

I remounted the cooler master n520+ a second time and redid the thermal paste in case the mount was the problem. It wasn't. The H70 with a single fan (to keep it quieter) only hits mid 70's*C at 100% prime 95 load with HT and 8 threads. If I add a second fan it does much better but I'm okay with 70*C on that chip and quite a bit less fan noise.

Core 2 Quads shouldn't be run as hot as I7's though and your 70* max hope is about appropriate. I'd just buy one of the corsair units and call it good. They'll handle ANYTHING you could through at it with that particular CPU you are using and the price does not get better.

I would buy the H70 right now, but I'm afraid it's going to give me problems in my Antec 900. I've read that I have to take the side fan out, but the side fan is definitely helping my temps throughout the rig. Is it possible to externally mount the radiator?

so buy the h50. It's about 1/2 the size and cools nearly as well. It should fit.

You can mount the radiator externally as well if your water lines are long enough to reach. In order to externally mount the radiator you should expect to do some dremel work to work with your case. The water lines are NOT removable. They are supposed to be permanently attached and factory sealed (so as to avoid leaks and evaporation).

How is the Venomous X? I'm between that and the Noctua ND-H14 at the moment.

Last edited:
Venomous X is probably a few degrees worse than the D14, but it is more suitable for your antec 900 case.

Back