Overclocking killed memory

Desdichado

Limp Gawd
My backup system consists of a 1.8 Duron on an Asus A7N8x-E Deluxe with three sticks of 512 PC3200 in dual channel mode.
A few days ago, I started overclocking it. I set the divider to 133% and moved the fsb from 133 to 137. The multiplier on the duron is locked. I ran a full 32m of SuperPi and a full run of 3dmark05, and it seemed stable. Following the same proceedure, i made it up to 150 fsb and decided to stop there. So far no probs.
I left it there, and about two days later I was playing NFS:U2 and got a BSOD. I thought I was overheating (it was a warm day), i turned it back to 133 fsb. when i rebooted, i got a different bsod having to do with daemon tools. after i randomly got them for about a week, I ran memtest and pulled up errors in the 0-512mb range.
when i went through and tested my ram individually, the stick that was in the A2 slot turned out to be bad. I had run a full test with memtest about 2-3 days before i began overclocking, so i know the ram was good then.

my questions are, is it possible that i killed the ram by overclocking? I would not assume so, because it never went over 200 mhz.
Is it bad to overclock/run memory out of sync in dual channel with three sticks?
and why the heck was my first stick in A2?

I had another stick, so i'm still running in the same config. Was it just a random fluke that this happened or might the same thing happen again?

what brand?? It might be that its not stable at those clocks. If it works on diffrent sticks, then set them back to stock, and start over. Other than that, you get to experience the fun of trial and error with OCing :D

Good luck and let us know what develops

PS: if the memory has a bad component, simply run MemTest86 and see what it says. I would set it to run all night, and that will allow it to run the test many times to weed out anything bad. If it is, it will tell you whats wrong. From there you have the option to buy new or RMA

if you didn't touch memory voltage, the ram should be just fine. clear the bios and see if anything changes. also make sure there is no dust in any of the ram slots ;)

Its Rosewill brand, but comes up in Everest as Hynix. The memory ran fine for about two months at 200, 3-3-3-8, which was what i set it back to when I started getting errors. The issue is that even after I set it back to stock I was still getting errors. When I ran memtest, all the errors came up in the third test (moving inversions, i think). I don't mind losing the ram, as I said, I already had another stick and have replaced the stick with errors.

I might see if I can get it to run without errors at lower speeds tonight (166@3-3-3-8). Thanks

Didn't running the ram asynchronously (spelling?) on the old XP's hurt performance?

Back