Overclocking K chip on Q87 motherboard?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone doing this? I have read conflicting reports, some say and you can and others no.

I am looking to upgrade my server which has a Asrock Q87m Pro to a 4770 (currently 4570s).

Wondering if I should get a K over non K. It seems like there are OC settings in the bios. But
I won't really know what works until I get it.

Anyone here have any insight that may be of help?

only minimally. IE the multiplier is locked, and you can only adjust the bus speed or w/e they call it. I think you might get a 1-2% max oc based on fsb adjustment, but past a certain point(very low adjustment area) the bus speeds get too far out of spec and cause issues. So IMO it's not really oc'ing, or worth. If you want to OC, I'd get a K chip.

only minimally. IE the multiplier is locked, and you can only adjust the bus speed or w/e they call it. I think you might get a 1-2% max oc based on fsb adjustment, but past a certain point(very low adjustment area) the bus speeds get too far out of spec and cause issues. So IMO it's not really oc'ing, or worth. If you want to OC, I'd get a K chip.
Sorry if I am not being clear I am talking about a K chip on Q87. I have seen some people say they can change the multiplier. With a K chip on a Q87 chipset.

oh sorry. TBH I'm not sure about the Q87 chipset. I'm pretty sure the Z87 would have the multiplier adjustment. U may have to try to find a review of your motherboard from back in the day to gauge the bios options.

oh sorry. TBH I'm not sure about the Q87 chipset. I'm pretty sure the Z87 would have the multiplier adjustment. U may have to try to find a review of your motherboard from back in the day to gauge the bios options.
Yeah thanks I will probably just go a different route, $150 or so in 2019 for 4c/8t just isn't that appealing. I think I will go for a Ryzen 1700 instead.

Yeah thanks I will probably just go a different route, $150 or so in 2019 for 4c/8t just isn't that appealing. I think I will go for a Ryzen 1700 instead.

Do you have the "Non-Z OC" option in your BIOS? I know the ASRock H87 Pro had it. With the newer BIOS releases, it was disabled.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS84L0MvMzkwMzk2L29yaWdpbmFsL0g4Ny1ub24tei1vYy0yLS5qcGc=.jpg

Most H-series board support limited overclocking by a few bins over stock speeds, and Q-series should be similar. I wouldn't expect a k chip to get much higher on a Q-series motherboard, as even if it offers thorough overclocking options it's not likely to have a heavily built out VRM section or anything like a Z-series board.

Back