Overclocking i7 920 on EVGA X58 SLI LE

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking for some help. Id like to turn the wick up on this thing but ive tried a few tutorials that never seem to work with my setup.

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE 141-BL-E757 Bios Ver 83
RAM: 6x TR3X6G1600C8D 2048MB 8-8-8-24 1.65v Version 3.1
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0
Cooler: Corsair H50

Right now im running this thing at all stock speeds and Auto set in the Bios.

2013-08-24%2015.57.05.jpg

2013-08-24%2015.57.19.jpg

2013-08-24%2015.57.55.jpg

2013-08-24%2015.58.18.jpg

2013-08-24%2015.58.34.jpg

Any Help?

I hit 4ghz with HT just by increasing the BLCK and CPU voltage on my i7 920 D0 in an EVGA SLI LE motherboard. I left everything else on auto. It was cooled with a custom watercooling loop. It was %100 stable. I think have the original voltage for 4ghz in my sig still.

Is the goal a modest, moderate, or high overclock?

I was able to get 3-3.2 ghz by simply raising the blck.

My favorite tutorial here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268.html

The goal is just an overclock really. I got the board/cpu with a unstable overclock to begin with. It was set to Dummy OC. It crashed alot so i put it back to stock and its been stable. Ive tried a few times to bump it up and it never seems to like it. I did bump the memory up to 1333 and it made a difference and was stable. It seems like anytime i change the bclk it hates it. ive tried 2.8GHz, 3.33GHz and 4.0GHz and it didnt like it. Im kind of a noob and want to learn it a little bit and tweak it to get a little more out of this old juggernaut.

Ill go through and try the guides posted and report back what happens.

I have the same board and CPU. I was able to get mine up to 3.8 just by increasing the BCLK if I remember right (it's been years). No voltage increase or anything. I did disabled HT though since I couldn't get it stable with it enabled. I don't think it makes much of a difference. You might try disabling that?

I was actually looking to get a CPU water cooler to try and push it to 4Ghz+. When I get home I'll take a look at my BIOS settings for you.

The goal is just an overclock really. I got the board/cpu with a unstable overclock to begin with. It was set to Dummy OC. It crashed alot so i put it back to stock and its been stable. Ive tried a few times to bump it up and it never seems to like it. I did bump the memory up to 1333 and it made a difference and was stable. It seems like anytime i change the bclk it hates it. ive tried 2.8GHz, 3.33GHz and 4.0GHz and it didnt like it. Im kind of a noob and want to learn it a little bit and tweak it to get a little more out of this old juggernaut.

Ill go through and try the guides posted and report back what happens.

If you're getting unstable behavior off the Dummy OC then you may have some other problems. I would think that should always be stable. I'm no expert though... Anyway, i'll post my BIOS settings when I get a chance.

Here is where im at.
http://valid.canardpc.com/lqmnn0

Tests as pretty stable under the new linpack. peaks at 65c. I tried to go for 3.8 but it wasnt having it. I think im to novice still. I dont really know what these things are or what they do that the guide is having me change.

after reading some other articles my uncore seems to high at 3.4GHz considering my ram is running at 1440MHz

You don't need to the change the uncore, just leave it on auto. You should only have to change CPU Host Frequency (blck), memory settings, and voltages. I believe I turned vdroop off too. I leave my memory frequenzy on auto as well.

If however you want to change it, the uncore should be, 2x memory multiplier, or 2x memory multiplier + 1.

Any Help?

When I overclocked my i7 920 on my EVGA X58 SLI I don't think changed any of the settings your screens point to at all. Just the BCLK leaving speedsetep on and I did not mess with the IMC settings. Although I was not going for 4.0GHz and I was using 1.5V ram.

Well i guess im done. Something is wrong where i can push it hard. Unless its all stock it freaks out. Last time i buy used hardware off here thats for sure.

Well i guess im done. Something is wrong where i can push it hard. Unless its all stock it freaks out. Last time i buy used hardware off here thats for sure.

Seems like your memory might be out of wack? Check the memory multiplier . also if you want this to work do it right and read the reviews. Start with 10mhz jumps at a time, then run through stability testing.

Good luck!

It was on 3.6 GHz running 1442 on the ram. I did what all of the guides said but after 2 days i kept crashing. Then it would start loading windows and crash over and over till i put it back.

What was the bsod error code?

0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease vcore or QPI/VTT...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)

I might have fixed the issue so i will continue with better results. Its no longer crashing in BF3. I rewired the system and i think the issue might have been the wiring of the power supply where it plugs into the PSU.

Back