Overclocking i7 2600(non k) in 2017

slickpad

n00b
Hey everyone, so it's 2017 and I'm still running an i3 2100 that I bought in 2011. Recently, updates to the two main games that I play (dota 2, cs go) have driven my fps down a bit and I've been looking for a little boost. At the moment, I'm not ready to invest in a complete upgrade, so I thought to myself, why not a cpu side-upgrade since the source engine is so cpu reliant? I'm able to get my hands on an i7 2600(non k) for $100 but I have just one question about turbo boost overclocking. My current motherboard says that it supports turbo ratio adjusting, can't post pic because this is my first post here, but mobo model is GA-H61M-D2P-B3. From what I've read, I simply need to change each of the ratios to 38 for a flat 3.8ghz overclock (or even to the max of 42 I believe?) regardless of core usage. Now it is an h61 board so I am curious as to whether or not this type of overclocking will stress the board as it only has a 4pin cpu connector, though, why would they provide the option for such things if it couldn't handle it right? So what do you guys think? Does this seem like a good solution to my low fps problems for the price of $100? 3.1ghz dual core with HT to 3.8ghz quad core with HT

Go for it.
Wont harm anything other than data on your hard drive.
I suggest using a spare OS drive+install to test with.

Knock him down $20 too.

You should get a performance increase for most tasks going to the i7. On the locked CPUs they allowed up to 400MHz increase for Turbo Boost on a single core, but a lot of the CPUs could handle 4GHz on all cores without issue. Power consumption was not significantly higher in my experience, so even a low-end H61 motherboard should deliver enough power for what you are doing.

Wait what? I risk data corruption with this method of overclocking? I'm not raising the bclk tho! :S

Until you get it stable, yes.
You can corrupt your hard drive with a system crash.
Note I used the word "test".

Back